Deacon already around? Contamination? Atmospheric hole?

Started by cliffhanger, May 07, 2017, 08:58:12 PM

Author
Deacon already around? Contamination? Atmospheric hole? (Read 3,957 times)

SM

QuoteSo it's evident that the Engineers were not running away from the Engineer who got decapitated. Infact he didn't even mutate like Fifield and his mutation was as fresh like that of Holloway in the morning.

Ridley has suggested that the decapitated Engineer was infected, so its entirely possible the others were running away from him.

QuoteThe deacon wipes out the Engineers on LV-223. I thought that was obvious from the start.

Not really.

SpeedyMaxx

In Jon Spaihts' script Milburn is neither a biologist nor does he have an introduction of any sort. He just appears as one of Janek's crewmembers mid-scene on the ship. Later he randomly plays with the hammerpede just as in the movie.

SpreadEagleBeagle

I need to rewatch PROM soon. Seems like I forgot a lot of stuff from that movie.

The_Foxcatcher

Ridley has suggested that the decapitated Engineer was infected, so its entirely possible the others were running away from him.

Yes he was infected. But the Engineers were not running from him. When he was in the second last position, he didn't attack any nearby Engineers. When he fell and became the last one to run, he turned and looked back while running.

Most probably he stumbled upon one of the Urns in some different room and got infected. But his infection was fresh.

When the Prometheus crews examined his head, it was not mutated and only when they electrocuted the head, the black goo in his blood stream started spreading. 

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2017, 10:47:41 PM

QuoteThe deacon wipes out the Engineers on LV-223. I thought that was obvious from the start.

Not really.

What wiped out the Engineers at that base?
There are clues that a black goo infection outbreak killed at least some of the Engineers on LV-223.
- The Engineer who was last in the group running away (who got his head chopped off) was infected with black goo.
Were the Engineers running away from the last Engineer? It's possible.
- Foxcatcher is right that the infection of the last Engineer was fresh.
But the other Engineers could have seen that this last Engineer had been infected and wanted to get away from that.
- Were there other Engineers who were infected (like zombie Fifield, only bigger) that the fallen Engineer was looking for?
Yes, that's also possible. (There might have also been a Deacon on the loose that the last Engineer was worried about.)
- There are also hints in the dialogue of "Prometheus" about a possible outbreak which suggests that the filmmakers were considering this.
Shaw in the theatrical cut and Janek in the TC plus in a deleted scene talk about an outbreak at the LV-223 base.

* Added to this outbreak idea is the pile of dead Engineers who had holes in their torsos where Milburn/Fifield speculate that something could have "exploded" outward "from the inside" of those bodies.
- Also some of the Engineer stasis pods had holes in them leading to the idea that creatures broke through.
- This suggests that either Deacons or Xenomorphs (or both) got loose in the base and implanted creatures in some Engineers.
The viewer of course knows how the Xenomorphs could do that with eggs.
- But maybe the Deacons could also implant a creature inside of an Engineer in some way.
I base this idea on the ceiling painting in the Temple/Head room where a creature sits by an Engineer who has a gash in his side.
That might indicate that there was a process where creatures/Deacons were made to come out of Engineers in that Temple/Head room. 

Those are some of my theories anyway.
- Overall I see black goo infection and Deacons (with Xenomorphs) getting out of control at the LV-223 base with panicked Engineers who could not control the death/destruction.

;)

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: bb-15 on May 08, 2017, 08:37:23 PM
Quote from: windebieste on May 08, 2017, 09:12:26 AM
*So milburn won't go anywhere near dead engineers but he'll happily go play with a live hammerpede.  What a f**khead.

-Windebieste.

I'll give my theory about this which you can ignore of course.
When "Prometheus" came out, I agreed with your reaction. At the time I put this in a "Prometheus" flaws thread I started on IMDb.
This was before the Blu-ray, so Scott's/the writer's view of Milburn at that time was unknown. Yes, it seemed that Milburn's behavior was a mistake.

- Then someone on IMDb quickly posted a comment on my flaws thread which changed my mind.
He wrote; what if Milburn was a biologist who only studied primitive life forms, like worms or snakes?
So, Milburn was not interested in the Engineers, dead or alive.
But the biologist was fascinated by a worm or a snake.
Milburn wanted to study that.

* This idea changed my view of Milburn.
And it turned out that when the Blu-ray finally was released, that this idea fit what Scott, Spaihts and Lindelof believed about Milburn.
- And the filmmaker's view also fits what Foxcatcher wrote about Milburn
The biologist was wearing a protective suit (from Spaihts) and no character at that time in the film had knowledge about xenomorph like creatures.
So, Milburn took a chance. He was an expert with these kinds of creatures and he thought he could handle the snake/hammerpede. 

* There are other ideas in the movie which support what Milburn does.
- Vickers hired Milburn and Fifield and she hired people who thought like she did, that there were no Engineers. Milburn and Fifield had zero interest in the Engineers. They thought the Engineers must not exist.
- Milburn argued with Shaw against the idea of aliens doing genetic engineering on a planet/moon.
The Engineers were dead for about 2000 years.
Milburn thought that creatures on the moon had to evolve naturally, the classic Darwin idea.
And any snake that he found would have evolved naturally and so Milburn believed that he could deal with the creature.

;)

Do you believe that LV-426 and LV-223 orbit the same planet then? As per the Blu ray menus, tid bits and comic books ? 

SM

QuoteWhat wiped out the Engineers at that base?

Goo.  And possibly a monster generated from goo.

Many in the dead Engineer pile don't have holes in their chests.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on May 09, 2017, 11:17:28 AM

Yeah, and some of them have holes in the heads instead

bb-15

To SM and Russ840; I'm really liking this site because of the knowledge about "Prometheus" / franchise details. :)

Before AVPGalaxy.net, I'd take someone's word about the chestburster holes in the Engineer pile (probably based on Milburn's comment about something exploding from inside).
But because of SM's comment, I put in the Blu-ray and I was looking 12 inches (~30 cm) from the screen at the pile of dead Engineers.  LOL
- What Milburn described as exploding from inside is not clearly seen on screen.
- And there is a shell of a head as Crazy Shrimp pointed out. 
Otherwise a lot of the dead Engineer suits are intact. (There is one body which has a strange shape.)

* I now agree with SM's conclusion about the Engineer pile.
Their deaths seem to be due mostly from a Black Goo infection and monsters (like Fifield) from such an infection.

(I checked about holes in the Engineer stasis pods. I saw them at these durations in the Blu-ray; 1:13:10, 1:14:13. This indicates something was implanted in the Engineers in 3 stasis pods. And that either Xenomorphs or Deacons came out of them.)

Quote from: Russ840 on May 09, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
Do you believe that LV-426 and LV-223 orbit the same planet then? As per the Blu ray menus, tid bits and comic books ?

That is canon because of the sources that you mention.
I still don't like the idea though as I explained in the thread about that topic.

* BTW; continuing our discussion from another thread. I saw Guardians #2 and I liked it better than the first one.

;)

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: bb-15 on May 09, 2017, 08:29:27 PM
To SM and Russ840; I'm really liking this site because of the knowledge about "Prometheus" / franchise details. :)

Before AVPGalaxy.net, I'd take someone's word about the chestburster holes in the Engineer pile (probably based on Milburn's comment about something exploding from inside).
But because of SM's comment, I put in the Blu-ray and I was looking 12 inches (~30 cm) from the screen at the pile of dead Engineers.  LOL
- What Milburn described as exploding from inside is not clearly seen on screen.
- And there is a shell of a head as Crazy Shrimp pointed out. 
Otherwise a lot of the dead Engineer suits are intact. (There is one body which has a strange shape.)

* I now agree with SM's conclusion about the Engineer pile.
Their deaths seem to be due mostly from a Black Goo infection and monsters (like Fifield) from such an infection.

(I checked about holes in the Engineer stasis pods. I saw them at these durations in the Blu-ray; 1:13:10, 1:14:13. This indicates something was implanted in the Engineers in 3 stasis pods. And that either Xenomorphs or Deacons came out of them.)

Quote from: Russ840 on May 09, 2017, 10:31:51 AM

That is canon because of the sources that you mention.
I still don't like the idea though as I explained in the thread about that topic.

* BTW; continuing our discussion from another thread. I saw Guardians #2 and I liked it better than the first one.

;)

Awesome. Glad you liked it. I'm not sure which I like best. It did feel like a smaller, more personal movie. I really liked how reigned in it felt compared to the last and marvel films, in general, as of late.

DorkiDori

How do you explain all the holes in the chest areas of the cryotubes the Engineers were sleeping in the pilots chamber where the crew found the surviving Engineer? ;)

Curious question as I started writing this... Anyone ever wonder if the final surviving Engineer was also infected?

SM

Considering hypersleep didn't stop whatever happened to the other three; no.

bb-15

Quote from: DorkiDori on May 09, 2017, 09:04:32 PM
How do you explain all the holes in the chest areas of the cryotubes the Engineers were sleeping in the pilots chamber where the crew found the surviving Engineer? ;)

Curious question as I started writing this... Anyone ever wonder if the final surviving Engineer was also infected?

I'll be more clear about what I wrote before.
The 3 Engineer stasis pods that had holes in them leads to the idea that creatures breaking through caused that.
- This suggests that either Deacons or Xenomorphs (or both) got loose in the base and implanted creatures in some Engineers.
- But maybe the Deacons could also implant a creature inside of an Engineer in some way.

* Overall I see black goo infection (with monsters created from that like Fifield) and Deacons / Xenomorphs getting out of control at the LV-223 base with panicked Engineers who could not control the death/destruction.

;)

PS. Was the surviving Engineer infected? Why didn't the chestburster come out like with the others? What do you think?

The_Foxcatcher

Quote from: bb-15 on May 09, 2017, 10:20:51 PM
Quote from: DorkiDori on May 09, 2017, 09:04:32 PM

I'll be more clear about what I wrote before.
The 3 Engineer stasis pods that had holes in them leads to the idea that creatures breaking through caused that.

* Overall I see black goo infection (with monsters created from that like Fifield) and Deacons / Xenomorphs getting out of control at the LV-223 base with panicked Engineers who could not control the death/destruction.

;)

PS. Was the surviving Engineer infected? Why didn't the chestburster come out like with the others? What do you think?

I feel that the holes on the cyrochambers was just an overplayed idea with no logical implication.  Because, If the engineers were chest bursted, and if the chestbursters broke the way out of the glass, there would atleast be dead Engineer bodies inside the cyrochamber. But they were empty.

Also, there's no indication from Alien franchise that a Xenomorph / Ultramorph would implant (impregnate) something inside hosts. Only face hugger does.

So most likely it's possible that in some different pyramid, the Engineers were making and storing face hugger eggs (like the cargo of derelict bomber ship in Alien). And that those face huggers somehow came out by having accidentally disturbed. Some of the engineers got face hugged and some of them got killed by those adult chestbursters.

But my favorite theory is still that they had captive Ultramorph/s to derive its DNA and brew the Black goo. It killed them all. The holes on the body and heads of the pile of dead engineer bodies were externally made by protrusion of Ultramorph jaw. Fifield and Milburn were simply wrong as they thought it exploded from inside just like how Nostromo crews were wrong in thinking that the space jockey suit was an exoskeleton.

But let's wait for Covenant. It's surely going to shed some light on this.

bb-15

Quote from: The_Foxcatcher on May 10, 2017, 02:52:37 PM
But my favorite theory is still that they had captive Ultramorph/s to derive its DNA and brew the Black goo. It killed them all...

Sure Fox, we are presenting our favorite film theories about what killed the Engineers in the 2000 year old LV-223 disaster.
With the small amount of information with have, yours is certainly possible.

I feel that the holes on the cyrochambers was just an overplayed idea with no logical implication.  Because, If the engineers were chest bursted, and if the chestbursters broke the way out of the glass, there would atleast be dead Engineer bodies inside the cyrochamber. But they were empty.

That leads to a question; Why did the 3 stasis chambers with holes in them look empty?
- One possible theory is that the bodies of the Engineers had completely decayed.
The Engineer ship might have had air that was moist which also contained bacteria.
And in 2000 years the bodies of the dead Engineers exposed to that air completely broke down.

Here is a discussion of how a body, including bones, could completely decay.

QuoteIf a body is exposed to water, insects, open air, or highly acidic soil, then bacteria and fungi will be able to invade that porous network, and seek out the proteins of the collagen within the bones, which causes those bones to break down and eventually crumble to dust!

However, if a body is buried in a warm, arid climate, it is must more difficult for bacteria and fungi to survive, which makes it harder for traditional decomposition to occur. In humid conditions, bones might be broken down in a matter of a decade or so, but in a dry climate, it could take thousands of years!
https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/skeleton-mystery-dont-bones-decay-decompose.html

Also, there's no indication from Alien franchise that a Xenomorph / Ultramorph would implant (impregnate) something inside hosts. Only face hugger does.
Sorry, I'll be more clear about that.
- Let's forget about my theory about the Deacon impregnating a host, since there is no clear evidence of that.
- However, what I meant about the Xenomorphs is that they could bring an egg to a victim and then the facehugger could do its thing.
Xenomorphs can move eggs around.

QuoteOther Xenomorphs also tend to the Eggs once they are laid, moving them from beneath the ovipositor to "nursery" areas within the Hive.
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Egg_sac

* On another related topic; In the beginning of "Alien 3", how did the eggs get on the Sulaco?
My favorite theory about this is that the Queen carried the eggs there.

So most likely it's possible that in some different pyramid, the Engineers were making and storing face hugger eggs (like the cargo of derelict bomber ship in Alien). And that those face huggers somehow came out by having accidentally disturbed. Some of the engineers got face hugged and some of them got killed by those adult chestbursters.

I like that idea.
- My favorite theory about this is that every room in the dome/pyramid that the crew explore in the movie is not completely shown.
Xenomorphs, Deacons / eggs could have been kept in hidden parts of that place.

But let's wait for Covenant. It's surely going to shed some light on this.

Yeah. I just have to be patient since in the US, AC opens on May 19.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed