Covenant made only for 111 millions.

Started by Ingwar, May 07, 2017, 09:46:21 AM

Author
Covenant made only for 111 millions. (Read 22,765 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Protozoid on May 08, 2017, 05:56:08 PM
Robin Hood went over budget because of delays.

I was wondering where all the money went. You can usually see every penny on-screen in a Ridley Scott film. He could have done Robin Hood on $130 million.

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 08, 2017, 05:45:05 PMI wasn't aware that Michael Fassbender, Penélope Cruz, Cameron Diaz and Brad Pitt (all household names) were in the habit of "taking small scale wages"?  ???

Really?  They do it all the time...  constantly.

Jonesy1974

I agree that some of Scott's films aren't paced as I'd like. Prometheus is too short and the final act moves far to rapidly, early reaction suggests covenant suffers the same issue. I wonder how much that is due to Scott putting too much faith in the editor. But at least Scott is trying to tell interesting stories with depth and visually his films always look big budgeted.
Cameron's last few films are bloated and overlong without a compelling story to carry them imo.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 08, 2017, 06:04:39 PM

I was wondering where all the money went. You can usually see every penny on-screen in a Ridley Scott film. He could have done Robin Hood on $130 million.

Robin Hood was shot in UK that's why it was so bloody expensive.

Jonesy1974

Actually watched the counsellor last night. It's a incoherent mess with some memorable moments. I can see those actors being prepared to take wage cuts to be involved in a film with that pedigree but sure it didn't turn out how they expected!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Robopadna on May 08, 2017, 06:28:24 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 08, 2017, 05:45:05 PMI wasn't aware that Michael Fassbender, Penélope Cruz, Cameron Diaz and Brad Pitt (all household names) were in the habit of "taking small scale wages"?  ???

Oh? Because I heard Cameron Diaz was named the highest-paid actress over 40 in Hollywood a year or two back. Penélope Cruz and Brad Pitt are Academy award winners. Fassbender is a cheapskate though, heard he only got 8 or 9 million for Covenant.

Quote from: Ingwar on May 08, 2017, 06:32:18 PM

So was Prometheus.

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 08, 2017, 06:39:52 PM
Oh? Because I heard Cameron Diaz was named the highest-paid actress over 40 in Hollywood a year or two back. Penélope Cruz and Brad Pitt are Academy award winners. Fassbender is a cheapskate though, heard he only got 8 or 9 million for Covenant.

What someone gets for one movie with a 250 million budget is not the same as what one gets to take part in a 15 million dollar movie.

They are all very well known for taking pay cuts or even working for scale.  Pitt constantly does it and he's by far and away the most famous and bankable person on that list.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Robopadna on May 08, 2017, 06:28:24 PM

So was Prometheus.

Many actors would definitely take a pay cut if they like the director, material and co-stars. Ridley Scott directing and a script by Cormac McCarthy is enticing to most people, and they'd understand why the movie would have to be kept under a certain number. Working with that material is payment enough, really. Jonah Hill famously took a massive pay cut to be in Wolf of Wall Street, and even joked that HE would pay Scorsese to take part.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Robopadna on May 08, 2017, 06:47:06 PM
What someone gets for one movie with a 250 million budget is not the same as what one gets to take part in a 15 million dollar movie.

They are all very well known for taking pay cuts or even working for scale.  Pitt constantly does it and he's by far and away the most famous and bankable person on that list.

Yeah but shit, they must have taken a pittance on a $25 million dollar film. Basically charity.

PierreVW

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 08, 2017, 06:31:27 PM
I agree that some of Scott's films aren't paced as I'd like. Prometheus is too short and the final act moves far to rapidly, early reaction suggests covenant suffers the same issue. I wonder how much that is due to Scott putting too much faith in the editor. But at least Scott is trying to tell interesting stories with depth and visually his films always look big budgeted.
Cameron's last few films are bloated and overlong without a compelling story to carry them imo.

I agree.

James Cameron is like Michael Bay. Avatar sequels are Transformers sequels. Too much ego.

Ingwar

So was Prometheus.

They built entire village and mock castle. Plus they used plenty of extras and horses and they moved from location to location. Maybe that's why it did cost a fortune plus delays.

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 08, 2017, 06:52:15 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 08, 2017, 06:47:06 PM

Yeah but shit, they must have taken a pittance on a $25 million dollar film. Basically charity.

He will work for scale.  If his production company wants to make a movie that is not really in the norm he will agree to be in it and get paid scale to get investors/studios far more likely to invest the money to make it.  He (and they) also do it for movies that aren't related to their production company because they like/believe in a script or really want to work with certain people/directors.

He took a million for the assassination of jesse james.  He took similar amounts for the counselor, killing them softly, etc.

worriors

Not suprising that its only "111 million", remember its a 15 Rating, only way he could have got more money was to make a PG/12 rating film.

PierreVW

Quote from: Ingwar on May 08, 2017, 06:54:20 PM

So was Prometheus.

They built entire village and mock castle. Plus they used plenty of extras and horses and they moved from location to location. Maybe that's why it did cost a fortune plus delays.

I agree.

Usually movies filmed in studio(PROMETHEUS) costed LESS money than movies filmed on real places(ROBIN HOOD).

Le Celticant

Quote from: PierreVW on May 08, 2017, 08:56:27 PM
Usually movies filmed in studio(PROMETHEUS) costed LESS money than movies filmed on real places(ROBIN HOOD).

Very untrue. Unless you want a very specific location where... the owners ask money :D
The studio is a day-fee and studios tends to take a huge amount of time to create.
1000 a day for 30 days in small studios is 30 000 just for the place.
So imagine you have to create multiple sets.

For natural settings, production usually film in locations where there are tax rebates.
Like New Zealand... Australia... Canada... France you know ::)
You also get tax rebates if you hire some crew/company from the country you're shooting in.

What costs a lot in movies are Big heads salary (actors/directors/special crew) asking Millions.
Then there's the obvious amount of people you hire.
Prometheus has over 2000 people credited.
2000 x salary x months worked on the project = a lot.
Producers try to save every penny on a production, from food to vehicles, hotels... of course the VIP personal, like actors and directors gets special treatments but it impact very few compared to the work force that is there daily working hours for months on the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed