Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 119,949 times)

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I liked their review quite a bit. Not much in the ways of mudslinging. Just some fairly straightforward and honest points.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Why are most people saying the crew was made up of idiots? I know the whole looking directly into an androids genetically created egg is a little dumb but other than that what was the issue?  Oh yes and the no helmets that is a little weird but doesn't bother me too much.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Space7Horror on May 28, 2017, 03:23:00 AM
Why are most people saying the crew was made up of idiots? I know the whole looking directly into an androids genetically created egg is a little dumb but other than that what was the issue?  Oh yes and the no helmets that is a little weird but doesn't bother me too much.

Well, for starters, Tennessee wanting and actually risking the lives of 2000 colonists just to try to save his wife who started shooting shotguns next to high explosive containers... Or the medic that retreated in fear of a tiny creature she could have killed easily with the knife before it even got outta its embryonic sack... Or Oram who follows David blindly after having threatened it just minutes before... I could go on and on... 😉

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 28, 2017, 03:44:46 AM

Well, for starters, Tennessee wanting to risk the lives of 2000 colonists just to try to save his wife who started shooting shotguns next to high explosive containers... Or the medic that retreated in fear of a tiny creature she could have killed easily with the knife before it even got outta its embryonic sack... Or Oram who follows David blindly after just ha big threatened him minutes before... I could go on and on... 😉

I completely forgot about Tennessee doing that, I've only seen the film once, but that did bother me hahaha.  As for his wife and the medic Karine, I would say their decisions are justified in the fact that they could not have thought rationally under those circumstances.  I mean in the matter of an hour everything around them went to hell and they saw someone vomit up blood and violently convulse only to have a creature break through his back.  Seeing that could make anyone act irrationally so I don't really see their decisions as being on the same level of bad/dumb as Tennessee or Oram.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Space7Horror on May 28, 2017, 03:54:12 AM

Well, for starters, Tennessee wanting to risk the lives of 2000 colonists just to try to save his wife who started shooting shotguns next to high explosive containers... Or the medic that retreated in fear of a tiny creature she could have killed easily with the knife before it even got outta its embryonic sack... Or Oram who follows David blindly after just ha big threatened him minutes before... I could go on and on... 😉

I completely forgot about Tennessee doing that, I've only seen the film once, but that did bother me hahaha.  As for his wife and the medic Karine, I would say their decisions are justified in the fact that they could not have thought rationally under those circumstances.  I mean in the matter of an hour everything around them went to hell and they saw someone vomit up blood and violently convulse only to have a creature break through his back.  Seeing that could make anyone act irrationally so I don't really see their decisions as being on the same level of bad/dumb as Tennessee or Oram.

I would risk the lives of 2000 colonists for my wife, no question.

Salt The Fries

But it was established that T had the tendency to f**k the authority before. Plus him wanting to bring the ship closer to the planet was questioned by both MUTHUR and Upworth. Why do people ignore that?

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 28, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
But it was established that T had the tendency to f**k the authority before. Plus him wanting to bring the ship closer to the planet was questioned by both MUTHUR and Upworth. Why do people ignore that?

Because they didn't like the film, which is fine, but then feel the need to nitpick tiny little non issues like this. It's no different to the vickers/shaw running in a straight line non issue. Yet they give films like Aliens a free pass for simular things. It is tiresome.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

But Oram's wife was already backing away with the knife way before she knew what it was... We have Daniels and Walter seeing that David cut his hair EXACTLY like Walter and suspected nothing... Daniels saw David not healing and suspected nothing... And Tennessee's wife knew nothing about quarantine procedures since she was sprayed with that guy's blood so she should be inside with Oram's wife as well... The medic hugging the infected guy... They truly were morons...

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 28, 2017, 08:32:02 AM

Great sense of responsibility and duty there, mate... Usually, common sense and logic state the other way around, you sacrifice the few for the many...😁😜

Actually, you never got that from the actual movie before he did what he did, but from promo clips that never made the theatrical version... I would compare it with the Return of the King scene where the Witchking is saying to Gothmog he would break Gandalf, referring to a scene that never made the theatrical version but only the extended one... Tennessee was never defined in the theatrical as a rebellious crewmate, one who defied authority or standard operating procedures until he just did... And MU-TH-UR alone should have prevented it especially since the payload was far more important than just a few lives... But we are talking about the obvious reason why you should never have wives or girlfriends in positions like those... Commanders are supposed to be logical and responsible... He certainly was not... I know that with Oram and Daniels off ship, he was in charge, but that decision was as dumb, irresponsible and wreckless as they come... And his crewmates ought to have him removed from command the moment he decided to do it and ignore their remarks entirely...

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 28, 2017, 11:59:17 AM

But Oram's wife was already backing away with the knife way before she knew what it was... We have Daniels and Walter seeing that David cut his hair EXACTLY like Walter and suspected nothing... Daniels saw David not healing and suspected nothing... And Tennessee's wife knew nothing about quarantine procedures since she was sprayed with that guy's blood so she should be inside with Oram's wife as well... The medic hugging the infected guy... They truly were morons...

Great sense of responsibility and duty there, mate... Usually, common sense and logic state the other way around, you sacrifice the few for the many...😁😜

Actually, you never got that from the actual movie before he did what he did, but from promo clips that never made the theatrical version... I would compare it with the Return of the King scene where the Witchking is saying to Gothmog he would break Gandalf, referring to a scene that never made the theatrical version but only the extended one... Tennessee was never defined in the theatrical as a rebellious crewmate, one who defied authority or standard operating procedures until he just did... And MU-TH-UR alone should have prevented it especially since the payload was far more important than just a few lives... But we are talking about the obvious reason why you should never have wives or girlfriends in positions like those... Commanders are supposed to be logical and responsible... He certainly was not... I know that with Oram and Daniels off ship, he was in charge, but that decision was as dumb, irresponsible and wreckless as they come... And his crewmates ought to have him removed from command the moment he decided to do it and ignore their remarks entirely...

Peoples emotions do not centre around logic. Human beings are not mr Spock. None of the behaviours you have referenced are unrealistic in anyway. You may believe you'd react differently but that doesn't mean everybody else would.

Risking the colonists lives is of course irrrespinsible but I simply could not and would not leave my loved ones to die. It was a calculated risk he believed worth taking. You could pick Holes like this in just about every film ever made if you wanted to.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The only character decision issue I had with the film was with Oram following David to the eggs. Up until that point, he didn't do anything daft. He was in the position of power and he was getting what he wanted - answers.

Tennessee doesn't actually take the ship into the storm. He takes it thousands of feet above it. It's still risky but he's concerned about his wife and aside from some EM damage, nothing actually happened.

In regards to David and his hair, if I was on my own all that time I'd let myself go. One of the first things I'd do when I returned to some semblance of civilization would be to groom again. It's one of those little things that ADF tidies up in the novelization and acknowledges.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 28, 2017, 12:50:13 PM

Peoples emotions do not centre around logic. Human beings are not mr Spock. None of the behaviours you have referenced are unrealistic in anyway. You may believe you'd react differently but that doesn't mean everybody else would.

Risking the colonists lives is of course irrrespinsible but I simply could not and would not leave my loved ones to die. It was a calculated risk he believed worth taking. You could pick Holes like this in just about every film ever made if you wanted to.

Actually, the only reason the Covenant ship managed to enter that ionosphere was plot conveniences... That ship would have been toasted and two thousand souls lost... Again, he is not just a crew member, he is the captain when Oram and Danielis are off ship... It would be more likely that the forgettable co-pilot and her forgettable boyfriend would mutiny before risking so many lives for just the few... That and MU-TH-UR overriding his commands and setting the ship on auto pilot outta there... Plot conveniences, nothing more... Realistically, this selfish, incompetent, reprehensible retard would be in the ship's brick for that... And those two retarded crewmen are as irresponsible as he was... And duty supersedes emotions, ESPECIALLY for someone in charge of two thousand lives... That is why these pilots and crewmen are usually of military background: they follow orders without question, even when their loved ones are at risk... That is the discipline but even though the colonists are supposed to be couples, why the hell were the security personnel, crew and pilots with their counterparts as well...? That is a blatant violation of military code, and an obvious potential menace to the integrity of the orders and chain of command should trouble rise... And this movie shows very well why there should not be couples in crews... They make irrational decisions that could and would jeopardize people if this was real and not a movie... And boy, they truly are irrational from start to finish... And Tennessee's wife, also a pilot, should be far more mentally prepared than she clearly was... She was in space, in another, unknown world that could have lots of indigenous wildlife that could kill them, and the first time crap hits the fan, she becomes hysterical and making all idiotic decisions...? These people are SUPPOSED to be prepared, trained to endure all kinds of stress... That is how real astronauts are trained... These guys are more moronic and hysterical than drunk hillbillies... First and foremost, these guys are trained astronauts and most even military or with military background.,, No, it is not believable in the slightest astronauts with military training would go all Lambert... They are not mere blue collar workers.. I am sure Dallas had military background, and surely Ripley was from the Air Force, the usual source of astronauts and pilots... All militarily trained... 

Salt The Fries

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 28, 2017, 05:28:52 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 28, 2017, 12:50:13 PM

Actually, the only reason the Covenant ship managed to enter that ionosphere was plot conveniences... That ship would have been toasted and two thousand souls lost... Again, he is not just a crew member, he is the captain when Oram and Danielis are off ship... It would be more likely that the forgettable co-pilot and her forgettable boyfriend would mutiny before risking so many lives for just the few... That and MU-TH-UR overriding his commands and setting the ship on auto pilot outta there... Plot conveniences, nothing more... Realistically, this selfish, incompetent, reprehensible retard would be in the ship's brick for that... And those two retarded crewmen are as irresponsible as he was... And duty supersedes emotions, ESPECIALLY for someone in charge of two thousand lives... That is why these pilots and crewmen are usually of military background: they follow orders without question, even when their loved ones are at risk... That is the discipline but even though the colonists are supposed to be couples, why the hell were the security personnel, crew and pilots with their counterparts as well...? That is a blatant violation of military code, and an obvious potential menace to the integrity of the orders and chain of command should trouble rise... And this movie shows very well why there should not be couples in crews... They make irrational decisions that could and would jeopardize people if this was real and not a movie... And boy, they truly are irrational from start to finish... And Tennessee's wife, also a pilot, should be far more mentally prepared than she clearly was... She was in space, in another, unknown world that could have lots of indigenous wildlife that could kill them, and the first time crap hits the fan, she becomes hysterical and making all idiotic decisions...? These people are SUPPOSED to be prepared, trained to endure all kinds of stress... That is how real astronauts are trained... These guys are more moronic and hysterical than drunk hillbillies... First and foremost, these guys are trained astronauts and most even military or with military background.,, No, it is not believable in the slightest astronauts with military training would go all Lambert... They are not mere blue collar workers.. I am sure Dallas had military background, and surely Ripley was from the Air Force, the usual source of astronauts and pilots... All militarily trained... 
aaaaand? your point is? Dallas made nothing but bad decisions throughout the whole film...It's just he appeared manly and that's all. But that didn't make him any more competent.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

[/quote]
aaaaand? your point is? Dallas made nothing but bad decisions throughout the whole film...It's just he appeared manly and that's all. But that didn't make him any more competent.
[/quote]

Of course they are plot conveniences, isn't everything?

Dallas made decisions he shouldn't have as captain. Ripley went back for a CAT!!! and later a little girl she'd known a few hours. The so called elite colonial marines, who had military training, behaved like drunk hillbillies with no dicipline as soon as they enter a combat situation and they left the ship totally unmanned.

You could pick holes like this in any film, including the true classics. You don't like the film and that's fine but these are still silly criticisms.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 28, 2017, 06:18:35 PM

Dallas only made one 'mistake': following company orders, ya know, his employer, regarding Ash having the final say about Kane and the Xeno... Enlighten me as to which mistakes he made that are even remotely comparable to Tennessee willing to sacrifice 2000 colonists just in the off chance he would be capable of saving his hysterical wife...

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: YutaniDitch on May 28, 2017, 08:52:02 PM
Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 28, 2017, 06:18:35 PM

Dallas only made one 'mistake': following company orders, ya know, his employer, regarding Ash having the final say about Kane and the Xeno... Enlighten me as to which mistakes he made that are even remotely comparable to Tennessee willing to sacrifice 2000 colonists just in the off chance he would be capable of saving his hysterical wife...

He was pretty happy to break quarantine protocols when Kane got face hugged wasn't he? Some captain that is according to your views.

And no way on earth would you have got me in those ventilation ducts..... unless it was to save my wife of course!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed