Alien Covenant Review Roundup

Started by Darkness, May 07, 2017, 03:38:05 AM

Author
Alien Covenant Review Roundup (Read 120,966 times)

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

Quote from: Clowndog on May 07, 2017, 04:18:10 AM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 07, 2017, 04:06:51 AM
Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/06/alien-covenant-review-prometheus-sequel-is-a-return-to-formula/#1945b9d71ffa

Birth.Movies.Death http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/05/06/alien-covenant-review-sympathy-for-the-devil

Both positive. The BMD review suggests it's next best after Alien & Aliens. Only skimmed either one tho, fearful of spoilers.

The writer of the Forbes one liked Alien: Resurrection and claims that Prometheus was just a variation on the "haunted house" formula, so I'm a little hesitant to trust their opinion. But they did say it was good for what it is trying to do, they are just bored of it and want an Alien film set in a different genre(?), not sure what genre however...

It also got 4/5 in NME: http://www.nme.com/reviews/movie/alien-covenant-review

I've followed the Forbes writer on twitter for years. I enjoy his opinions, even when I don't agree. He tends to be harsher on the MCU films than I ever am. He's a recommended follow for box office info. Also, I understand wanting a variation on the theme. I was disappointed by the first Alien Covenant trailer b/c it had too many call backs to the original film. I understand that they were trying to remind people what they loved about the original, but redundancy takes its toll. That's why films like Jurassic World or Force Awakens, while entertaining, don't match up to previous installments, b/c the core plot is the same. Given the relatively basic premise of Alien franchise, it's a problem every installment faces. How do you tell the same story differently? Needs to retain what people love, but add enough to make it worthwhile.

The Joker

The Joker

Quote from: Alien Runner on May 07, 2017, 04:28:35 AM
Bleh considering alien movie standards. Should be 4-5/5

I get what you're saying but Alien movie standards have gone down a bit with the last few films and therefor fans will take what they can get with reviews that are mostly positive. [Mostly].

Darkness

Darkness

The British newspapers seem to be loving it.

Well, apart from the Guardian.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Darkness on May 07, 2017, 04:56:54 AM
The British newspapers seem to be loving it.

Empire and Total Film both gave it 3/5 :( I was hoping for more but at least they're not bad reviews!

Darkness

Darkness

What's the links? I can't find them.

Clowndog

Clowndog

Quote from: Darkness on May 07, 2017, 04:56:54 AM

Alas The Guardian isn't what it once was, they talk about Michael Fassbenders dick by the third sentence of the review.

It's quite a shame what the paper has become.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Entertainment Weekly gave it a B+.

Necronomicon II

No wonder Fox were confident, pretty damn positive on the whole, some surprising scores there.

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 07, 2017, 05:05:50 AM
I'll take that from them

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: salomonj on May 07, 2017, 05:07:36 AM
Quote from: echobbase79 on May 07, 2017, 05:05:50 AM
I'll take that from them

Everyone that I usually listen to is loving the film.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

It's doing well so far. It's got its fair share of phenomenal reviews, a bunch of solid/good reviews, and as to be expected a couple of stinkers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed