User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alien: Covenant Early Reactions  (Read 47807 times)

gantarat
May 07, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
Reply #1065 on: May 07, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
Given that this is a horror-sci-fi film and technically the EIGHTH in an inconsistent franchise, we can't really expect uniformly great reviews. The genre in general gets mixed reaction and the stink of lesser movies surely follows this one around.

Eight? You mean SIXTH, right? AVP is a separate franchise from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately the stink from the AVP movies have managed to stick to the Alien movies somehow. Hopefully there won't be anymore AVP movies for a long time to come and we can all hope that A:C is as good as it seems like. Hopefully A:C and its sequels will wash away the AVP reek, and by that time A3 and A:R will have ten more years or so to mature in the minds of their former haters as they might, by that time, be ready to digest them both, or at least A3.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, according to Ridley Scott, we have not yet arrived to the point of the true,unhinged Xeno. I imagine that Xeno becomes AWAKENED in the next movie titled 'Awakening'. Just a thought. Ridley not making that clear through the film and rather simply being something stated during an interview might have been an oversight. I won't see the film until the 18th so I will see if any if this makes sense!

Judge from Hicks review.

Gigeresque
May 07, 2017, 08:43:31 AM
Reply #1066 on: May 07, 2017, 08:43:31 AM
Given that this is a horror-sci-fi film and technically the EIGHTH in an inconsistent franchise, we can't really expect uniformly great reviews. The genre in general gets mixed reaction and the stink of lesser movies surely follows this one around.

Eight? You mean SIXTH, right? AVP is a separate franchise from the Alien franchise. Unfortunately the stink from the AVP movies have managed to stick to the Alien movies somehow. Hopefully there won't be anymore AVP movies for a long time to come and we can all hope that A:C is as good as it seems like. Hopefully A:C and its sequels will wash away the AVP reek, and by that time A3 and A:R will have ten more years or so to mature in the minds of their former haters as they might, by that time, be ready to digest them both, or at least A3.

Well, according to Ridley Scott, we have not yet arrived to the point of the true,unhinged Xeno. I imagine that Xeno becomes AWAKENED in the next movie titled 'Awakening'. Just a thought. Ridley not making that clear through the film and rather simply being something stated during an interview might have been an oversight. I won't see the film until the 18th so I will see if any if this makes sense!

Judge from Hicks review.

That's because they working their way up to what we will see in Alien.

The Cruentus
May 07, 2017, 08:44:08 AM
Reply #1067 on: May 07, 2017, 08:44:08 AM

Judge from Hicks review.

What do you mean by

Mitsuki
May 07, 2017, 08:44:53 AM
Reply #1068 on: May 07, 2017, 08:44:53 AM
Who knows what happened to Elizabeth Shaw? ???

Corporal Hicks
May 07, 2017, 08:46:10 AM
Reply #1069 on: May 07, 2017, 08:46:10 AM

Judge from Hicks review.

What do you mean by

The film doesn't imply that. They're the Alien. They just look different. We know that the films are going to eventually leave into the biomechanical aspects entering their design but they're not a completely different creature at all. It's just how the Runner is different, how the Auriga Aliens are different.

I f**king hate those Protomorph rumours.

gantarat
May 07, 2017, 08:56:04 AM
Reply #1070 on: May 07, 2017, 08:56:04 AM

The film doesn't imply that. They're the Alien. They just look different. We know that the films are going to eventually leave into the biomechanical aspects entering their design but they're not a completely different creature at all. It's just how the Runner is different, how the Auriga Aliens are different.

I couldn't say the same

Clowndog
May 07, 2017, 08:56:11 AM
Reply #1071 on: May 07, 2017, 08:56:11 AM
Well as for
It's clearly done for thematic reasons but there could be an actual in universe reason, not saying this is true or I like the idea but just for theory crafting purposes.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:57:47 AM by Clowndog »

The Cruentus
May 07, 2017, 09:14:05 AM
Reply #1072 on: May 07, 2017, 09:14:05 AM

Just read your review

What has happened to Ridley?

Alien Runner
May 07, 2017, 09:17:24 AM
Reply #1073 on: May 07, 2017, 09:17:24 AM
lol at you guys still denying the Truth about the origin... well you need not worry for Alien Runner has a Theory... that will blow your mind. The Origin of the Xeno has been answered. The answer is right in front of us or should Alien Runner say, way behind of us... ;)

Scorpio
May 07, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
Reply #1074 on: May 07, 2017, 09:18:16 AM
The backstory of the alien being an ancient creature really is not very interesting.  Of all the ways could go, they went the best, by making it an ancient creature (the mural) but also a modern one to tie it into the events of the film.  Because the main selling point is to see the origin of the alien.

The Cruentus
May 07, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
Reply #1075 on: May 07, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
lol at you guys still denying the Truth about the origin... well you need not worry for Alien Runner has a Theory... that will blow your mind. The Origin of the Xeno has been answered. The answer is right in front of us or should Alien Runner say, way behind of us... ;)

Didn't Hicks warn you about trolling?  :P

The backstory of the alien being an ancient creature really is not very interesting.  Of all the ways could go, they went the best, by making it an ancient creature (the mural) but also a modern one to tie it into the events of the film.  Because the main selling point is to see the origin of the alien.

Origin of the Alien is all well and good, such a story can be told without resorting to a simple android having to create the most deadliest species ever.

Corporal Hicks
May 07, 2017, 09:22:27 AM
Reply #1076 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:27 AM

Just read your review

Alien Runner
May 07, 2017, 09:23:10 AM
Reply #1077 on: May 07, 2017, 09:23:10 AM

Didn't Hicks warn you about trolling?  :P

Origin of the Alien is all well and good, such a story can be told without resorting to a simple android having to create the most deadliest species ever.

Read Alien Runner's theory on origin of xeno. David is not the creator.

The Cruentus
May 07, 2017, 09:25:41 AM
Reply #1078 on: May 07, 2017, 09:25:41 AM

Just read your review

Ingwar
May 07, 2017, 09:26:17 AM
Reply #1079 on: May 07, 2017, 09:26:17 AM

Why not? I find that ironical about David creating them (if it's true of course). Besides, Aliens being an ancient species is also simple and cliche.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed