Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening

Started by Stolen, Apr 27, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Says Alien 5 is Not Happening (Read 59,231 times)

Necronomicon II

I have no doubt he's very happy being in charge now but I don't think he had any problems with Blomkamp's project at all; it was so far removed from what he's doing, he simply asked to remove elements that stepped on his toes a little.

windebieste

We'll probably end up seeing elements of Blomkamp's 'script' integrated into a future 'ALIEN' title, sans Ripley, Hicks and Newt.

-Windebieste.

fernandito

So happy to know this retconning joke will never be given a green light. And nice slap in the face to the already since '86 "Aliens" sickening fan service, and all them fanatics who made a good part of the serious fanbase feel so embarrased when they cried their oceans of tears at alien3 as it was released, making the rest of the world and Fox believe that every single one of us shared them childish wishes.

Now all needed is to erase alien resurrection from existence as If it would have never happened, and everything will be ok.

Jekku

I'm bummed to hear about this but it might be the right decision.  I'd rather have it never happen than it happen and it turn out to be a disappointing mess.  I just hope Alien Covenant and the sequels to it do not let me down.  I'm sure it will be as good as or better than Prometheus (and I liked that movie, even though it has a lot of problems).

Bad Replicant

What an interesting little period in the fandom this was.  :laugh:

I'm glad Alien 3's place in the lore will be left as-is. There are many who love it, and I think the legend of its standing within the fanbase can be a little overblown at times, especially as it's gained a little more respect since the AC was released. That being said, the flack it can receive is understandable. It's a seriously flawed movie, but still has plenty of value as part of the series. There's nothing so wrong with it that it deserves a complete 'do-over' (even if that's how Fincher himself may feel :P). Still, I do hope we find out what Blomkamp had planned one day.

SM

Quote from: fernandito on Apr 28, 2017, 06:43:38 AM
So happy to know this retconning joke will never be given a green light. And nice slap in the face to the already since '86 "Aliens" sickening fan service, and all them fanatics who made a good part of the serious fanbase feel so embarrased when they cried their oceans of tears at alien3 as it was released, making the rest of the world and Fox believe that every single one of us shared them childish wishes.

Now all needed is to erase alien resurrection from existence as If it would have never happened, and everything will be ok.

Crying oceans of tears over the existence of Alien Resurrection is of course perfectly acceptable behaviour for the "serious fanbase" and not "childish" in the least.
:laugh:

fernandito

^ ?

lelz

SM

I was mocking such cringe inducing terms as "serious fanbase".

windebieste

I've never particularly liked 'ALIEN: Resurrection' but I know people who do.  I respect their preference to enjoy that film.  It's a good thing they don't have to be treated as 2nd class fans due to a retcon that isn't even needed.

For all its warts and bumps and issues it's still - and always will be - an 'ALIEN' movie.  I can say the same thing about 'ALIEN 3', a movie I am definitely a fan of.  So, I understand where they're coming from.  I don't want to see one of my favorite movies shunted aside on a movie that no one can prove will be better.

Besides, it's all a moot point with the series in Scott's hands now.  To all intents and purposes he may consider nothing after 'ALIEN' to be canon.  He may yet retcon everything that's outside his view of what this property should consist of.  'ALIENS', 'ALIEN 3' and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' may still yet go. 

Don't say it can't happen.   Scott really doesn't care about much beyond 'ALIEN'.

-Windebieste.

Anakin21

Anakin21

NOooooooo, ,I want Alien 5 1000000000 times more than this covenant an prequel crap! THe idea to retcon Alien 3 And 4 was genius!!!!

PsyKore

I'm not fazed either way. But Alien 5 does feel kinda redundant at this stage, and probably more so after Ridley's films will be all said and done.

SM

I was interested to see where Blomkamp would take an alt-Alien3.  But I'm not fussed if it never gets made.

Xenoscream

It's a shame, it would have been cool to get another "Aliens" film.

You have to be realistic, while Ridley is interested in the franchise fox are only going to want his movies - he sells tickets. If he was saying "this is my final Alien film" then I'd expect Fox would be going ahead with the Alien 5 project, or looking for the next director of the prequels.

I do think however this could be a good thing in the long term - there is more chance of getting an original, non ret-con Aliens movie in the future now (at least in my opinion).

Necronomicon II

Quote from: Anakin21 on Apr 28, 2017, 09:24:44 AM
NOooooooo, ,I want Alien 5 1000000000 times more than this covenant an prequel crap! THe idea to retcon Alien 3 And 4 was genius!!!!
Genius?  :D Fan wish fulfilment more like it, "justice for Hicks and Newt, yeaaaah!" Spare me, I'm glad Fincher killed them, welcome to the Alien universe. :D

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: windebieste on Apr 28, 2017, 06:32:29 AM
We'll probably end up seeing elements of Blomkamp's 'script' integrated into a future 'ALIEN' title, sans Ripley, Hicks and Newt.

-Windebieste.

Nah they gotta have Ripley in it, she's like Han Solo in The Force Awakens.  She'll bring in all the old fans.  Weaver will be in her 70s then.  Hicks and Newt are nowhere near as iconic as Ripley thus replaceable.  Because who cares about two supporting characters from a 30-40 year old movie, besides the hardcore fans.  Most kids today grew up watching the AVP and prequel movies, not the originals.  The idea is just not bankable.  No wonder Fox didn't go with the script. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed