Aint No Jockey, just a Suit...

Started by Stanley, Apr 23, 2017, 07:24:36 PM

Author
Aint No Jockey, just a Suit... (Read 5,935 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

Bla Ridley, always knew it was a suit --

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: cliffhanger on Apr 23, 2017, 09:09:15 PM
ah wait, i'm interpreting the text wrong. i was interpreting that they were claiming that it was just the suit, and there was nothing in there. my mistake lol.
yeah, i now understood what the text reads.

such a buzzkill.I thought the interpretation of it was rather interesting in prometheus, but nevertheless it was a letdown that it were humanoids in the end.
there was so much material there with the elephantinelike shape of it all.
They were already humanoid.  Two arms, two legs, similar number of digits, two eyes, similar teeth...

There are some superficial differences, but overall, the Space Jockey was so similar to humans that they really did need to explain it or else the Jockey just wasn't alien enough.

That said, I expect them to retcon this again an introduce the Jockeys as a separate species.  I'm not excited about it, but I expect it.  They've gone back on so many things, at this point, and Arthur Max is not the production designer for Covenant, so I think all bets are off.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: motherfather on Apr 23, 2017, 09:17:43 PM
They can try and sell the spacesuit idea all they want, but sorry I ain't buyin'.

They sold it. It's canon. Whether it was right or wrong is debatable, but it's the facts as they stand. I'm not making an aesthetic judgment, I'm just dealing in what's there.

Is it hypothetically possible someone could change that again someday? Sure, but it seems like both Fox and Scott are sick of the space jockey entirely and want to be done with it. There's no evidence they're going to bow to fanon and reveal 'the real space jockey'. What's more likely is we may see a human or humanoid (or android) don the Engineer flight suit from Alien.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 23, 2017, 09:16:33 PM
Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Apr 23, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
Im in the camp that the jockey is a different being that the engineers worship/emmulate

The #optimistic camp.
Or logical camp as it clearly is a much larger being

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

When has Ridley been terribly interested in logic vs. aesthetics? Not since The Duellists.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 23, 2017, 09:34:59 PM
When has Ridley been terribly interested in logic vs. aesthetics? Not since The Duellists.
"Logic is boring." - Alfred Hitchcock

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quite.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Stanley on Apr 23, 2017, 07:24:36 PM
...if the official Prometheus Twitter is accurate.

Shouldn't surprise anyone really. It's been quite clear since the Prometheus trailer (and if you've been around the boards -- it was rumoured at least two years before the first Prometheus virals came out) and any attempt to reconcile the new idea with the original one is denial. All the size and organic detail arguments would be sound -- but we're talking movies. It's no different to Fincher finding the original cryotube design very nifty and going for that instead of the Aliens version, thus creating a gross continuity error between Aliens and Alien3. It's a deliberate artistic license.

The new Engineer idea remains a grossly shoehorned theme-capsizing bunch of doofus shit but unless it gets retconned further -- the Space Jockey IS a suited Engineer. There's no way around it

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 23, 2017, 09:52:01 PM
Quote from: Stanley on Apr 23, 2017, 07:24:36 PM
...if the official Prometheus Twitter is accurate.

Shouldn't surprise anyone really. It's been quite clear since the Prometheus trailer (and if you've been around the boards -- it was rumoured at least two years before the first Prometheus virals came out) and any attempt to reconcile the new idea with the original one is denial. All the size and organic detail arguments would be sound -- but we're talking movies. It's no different to Fincher finding the original cryotube design very nifty and going for that instead of the Aliens version, thus creating a gross continuity error between Aliens and Alien3. It's a deliberate artistic license.

The new Engineer idea remains a grossly shoehorned theme-capsizing bunch of doofus shit but unless it gets retconned further -- the Space Jockey IS a suited Engineer. There's no way around it

Yep, unfortunately it's the truth, for now.

acidreign

acidreign

Yep.

I never thought making the space jockey into a suited humanoid was a great idea but I ended up liking the Engineers. That said I think the John Spaihts version of the screenplay for Prometheus did a much better job of setting up the concept than the final movie did.

x-M-x

x-M-x

THIS

needs to be in the 3rd movie? or 4th?

Grey/Slimy Skin giant 12ft dude.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I actually don't make a judgment on them not caring, to be honest. It's just a simple fact: They did not let the original dimensions or exacting detail of the 1979 jockey impede their artistic choices on the new films.

I don't disagree with that in principle, and I understand the practical logistics of making the true jockey/Engineer more humanoid and quantifiable to an audience. Do I think the final design is perfect? No. Am I mostly okay with it? Yes. I just don't always like how it was utilized. There should've been more to Big Blue's use in the film than being an angry pro wrestler.

bobcunk

bobcunk

in Prometheus the engineer was to small for the chair, he couldn't even reach the handles. I Ridley wanted the Spaceockey to be the same size as the engineer then i think he would have made the chair smaller or something so it actually fit.

Stanley

Stanley

The space jockey made such an impression on me at my first viewing of Alien.   Wondered about it for a long time

But...look at things like the tech used.   Prometheus has up to date computer displays and touch action etc.

Alien has one step beyond Pong tech.    And those ,motion trackers in the 22nd century?   Hmm..

That's okay I think? 

HABIT

HABIT

What part of 'biomechanical' do you deniers still not get? Their tech is obviously capable of fusing with their physiology. The Space Jockey looking as if it was growing out of the chair and the biomechanical suit, that is so clearly fused to the skin, worn by the Last Engineer points to that. Even the older scripts of Prometheus mention the flight suit fusing with the Last Engineer. Get over it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed