Why Didn't The Prometheus Detect The Signal?

Started by Xenomorphine, Apr 18, 2017, 04:06:24 AM

Author
Why Didn't The Prometheus Detect The Signal? (Read 4,804 times)

Xenomorphine

Has there ever been a consensus as to why the Prometheus, which was deliberately looking for any return transmissions from LV-223, didn't detect the derelict's repeating cyclical warning signal from the neighbouring LV-426?

Seems strange that the Nostromo would do, yet a properly equipped scientific expedition ship would not,

SM

According to blu ray extras, Prometheus detected it but David suppressed it from the crew.

Scorpio

Because it hadn't crashed yet?  :P

cliffhanger

wait wut? where in the extras was that?

SM

Peter Weyland Files - Quiet Eye.

Ingwar

Are extras part of canon?

Russ840

Canon unless contradicted in a movie is what I would say.

Ingwar

If it's not in the movie then it shouldn't be considered as part of canon. On the other hand extras are part of the movie plot even if they're not part of the movie itself. I'm thorn.

SM

I tend to go with what Russ840 said, but you also have to factor in that CdL put a vague reference in to Tyrell Corporation in the David bit of the Peter Weyland Files which was a joke.

Ingwar

Yes, Blade Runner reference was an Easter egg which means that not every extra has to be taken seriously. It's a matter of intuition. You can tell if it's an inside joke or not.

Local Trouble

SM says it's canon, I'mma call it canon.

Xenomorphine

That's weird... Seems like he'd have informed the crew upon waking, to point out that the best landing site seemed to be on a different planetoid. Especially given what Weyland desired. David 8 seemed rather sceptical as to whether intelligent life would be found there.

Anybody know whether this was addressed in the 'Engineers' script?

SM

David was instructed not to tell the crew about the other transmission - not even Vickers.

Ingwar

Extras are considered as canon but deleted scenes not?

Russ840

Russ840

I would say the same. A deleted scene could be treated as canon unless a later film conflicts.

Like the egg morphing from Alien. At the moment I would say it's not canon as the Queen rules this out, on the surface. You could argue that it's just an alternate means to start a hive but until it's reused and made to fit existing facts from the movies, not canon.

Regarding Prometheus' deleted scenes. I'm sure that most of those do not contradict anything in the film or the 4 Alien movies so they could be. This may change with Covenant. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed