The Next Chapter - New Alien: Covenant Featurette

Started by puscyfer, Apr 12, 2017, 06:16:23 AM

Author
The Next Chapter - New Alien: Covenant Featurette (Read 41,294 times)

SiL

Also different model numbers may have different voices. Wasn't it MUTHUR 3000 or something.

Necronomicon II

Ingwar

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2017, 10:21:31 PM
It's relatively trivial, but is no less concerning. We know he said on set something like, "They wanted Aliens? I'll give them f**king Aliens..." It came across as spiteful, rather than doing it because he has a passion for them.

Spiteful? How do you know? You weren't there. You didn't see him saying that. Therefore you didn't see his facial expression and didn't hear tone of his voice. Maybe he was joking and having fun. Only because he said They wanted Aliens? I'll give them f**king Aliens doesn't mean he's wasn't passionate about making Covenant.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2017, 10:21:31 PM
It's relatively trivial, but is no less concerning. We know he said on set something like, "They wanted Aliens? I'll give them f**king Aliens..." It came across as spiteful, rather than doing it because he has a passion for them.

You can be passionate about filmmaking and have disdain for the general audience. You can see in every shot released so far how beautiful the movie looks. There are plenty of shots that made me go "wow, this is very well done" or "wow, he framed that amazingly" so clearly passion for the film isn't an issue for Scott. He does come across as having quite a lot of disdain for audiences who don't "get" his movies, which is sort of understandable for an artist whose work keep being spat on only for it to be reassessed to great acclaim down the line.

Having the Aliens in the movie apparently wasn't his idea, but once he accepted the idea I think he embraced it. I personally found that the footage we saw from Covenant so far is a lot "prettier", colourful and inventive than anything from Prometheus, so it looks like Scott had a better time doing his thing on Covenant than he did on Prometheus. The way he plays with the ship's design in this movie to make beautiful creative shots... he did that in Prometheus, but a lot less ( as far as I remember anyway ). 2001 inspiration seems to have really ignited something in him for this movie.

SM

Quotedid you read the entire sentance? IF ripley=weaver voiced MUTHER, then she talks to her own voice in alien. After all, MUTHUR in Covenant, MUTHUR in  ALIEN. David communicates with MUTHER (Ripley's Voice), Ripley communicates with MUTHUR. thus, if MUTHUR = ripley, she's essentially talking to her own voice in ALIEN.

what i'm saying is it is stupid that weaver voices muthur.

I read the entire sentence and your clarification just indicates it had little merit in the first place.
The two MUTHUR models are 20 years apart.  So what if they have a different voice?

The Ripley of Alien has aged 38 years and is acting anyway and doesn't sound the same.  GPSs have different voices and I can't imagine SIRI will sound the same in 20 years time.  What a non-issue.

Beardomorph

windebieste

No one makes an issue out of William Hope having an acting role in 'ALIENS' and a voice acting role in 'ALIEN: Isolation' and they were completely different characters in different time frames as well.  Well, actually now that I think of it, he's done a ton of voice acting within this property.  5 different times, maybe?

So what if Weaver has a voice acting role of muthur in 'ALIEN: Covenant'.  I don't see what the big deal is here. 

-Windebieste.

cliffhanger

Quote from: SM on Apr 14, 2017, 09:43:22 AM
Quotedid you read the entire sentance? IF ripley=weaver voiced MUTHER, then she talks to her own voice in alien. After all, MUTHUR in Covenant, MUTHUR in  ALIEN. David communicates with MUTHER (Ripley's Voice), Ripley communicates with MUTHUR. thus, if MUTHUR = ripley, she's essentially talking to her own voice in ALIEN.

I read the entire sentence and your clarification just indicates it had little merit in the first place.
The two MUTHUR models are 20 years apart.  So what if they have a different voice?

The Ripley of Alien has aged 38 years and is acting anyway and doesn't sound the same.  GPSs have different voices and I can't imagine SIRI will sound the same in 20 years time.  What a non-issue.

it's a non-issue to you, but it isn't to me.

Let's compare it to the Terminator universe.

Imagine James Cameron will make a prequel to all the Terminator films that we have. Let's take that 20 years 'in between' negates everything nonsense and say, the movie takes place 20 years before the original, so it's in the 60's. Let's say there is a narrator or a radiostation on, and the person narrating/doing a talkshow IS Arnold Schwarzenegger and you can CLEARLY hear his accent and hear it's Arnold; the effin terminator.
it makes ZERO sense to put him in that role, it only confuses and downgrades.

Would you call it a non-issue? 90% of the population wouldn't call it a non-issue. you could defend it all you want "more people have an austrain accent, i don't see the issue" but that's really total bs,

It's the same with weaver voicing the computer. it's just odd and feels weird. But hey, if it's not an issue for you, good for you.

Russ840

Although it's your issue and that's fine, it seems like something rather trivial to be 'actually' bothered about.

Necronomicon II

Out-of-Universe, yeah it's Weaver voicing the computer, in-Universe it's just a female automated voice.

cliffhanger

i'm not really 'that' bothered about it actually.
I don't think one has to theoretically 'lose sleep about it' just to discuss something, and that's exactly what we're doing here.
It doesn't disturb my viewing pleasure, i just find it logically not defendable.
I understand Ridley giving Ripley a part, also from a commercial eye (weaver's in it!!!zomg!!), and i understand Weaver enjoying being part of it,
but it's just utterly 'confusing' in my opinion.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I don't really get the fuss. I don't mind Weaver voicing the computer. It's a neat touch.

Quote from: windebieste on Apr 14, 2017, 10:13:49 AMNo one makes an issue out of William Hope having an acting role in 'ALIENS' and a voice acting role in 'ALIEN: Isolation' and they were completely different characters in different time frames as well.

Also this.

SiL

Different model, different voice.

Necronomicon II

Heck, in a single film you can have one actor/actress adorn multiple different roles, there'd be no relation among them in-universe.

Beardomorph

Beardomorph

Quote from: cliffhanger on Apr 14, 2017, 10:38:19 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 14, 2017, 09:43:22 AM

it's a non-issue to you, but it isn't to me.

Let's compare it to the Terminator universe.

Imagine James Cameron will make a prequel to all the Terminator films that we have. Let's take that 20 years 'in between' negates everything nonsense and say, the movie takes place 20 years before the original, so it's in the 60's. Let's say there is a narrator or a radiostation on, and the person narrating/doing a talkshow IS Arnold Schwarzenegger and you can CLEARLY hear his accent and hear it's Arnold; the effin terminator.
it makes ZERO sense to put him in that role, it only confuses and downgrades.

Would you call it a non-issue? 90% of the population wouldn't call it a non-issue. you could defend it all you want "more people have an austrain accent, i don't see the issue" but that's really total bs,

It's the same with weaver voicing the computer. it's just odd and feels weird. But hey, if it's not an issue for you, good for you.

Several things. First of all, regarding your Terminator comparison, no it wouldn't bother me, depending on how it's done. For example if they have MUTHUR say "get away from her you Bitch" with Weaver's voice in Covenant, yes, that would be completely ridiculous because it will go from a nice nod  to obviously referencing Ripley and things that have not yet happened within the Alien universe, which would then be really problematic.

As for your original "equations", two things : Ripley ≠ Weaver, and MUTHUR Covenant ≠ MUTHUR Nostromo. So the rest of your logic makes no sense.

Weaver's voice at 67 isn't Weaver's voice at 30, and Ripley died way before she could hope to reach her late 60s ( Rest in Peace  ;D), so this could not possibly be Ripley's voice. It sounds like a similar voice and if it's Weaver then it will serve as pure fan service, and an homage to her contribution to the series, which I think is really cool. Some people here say it doesn't sound like Weaver, so it's unlikely to turn into a confusing aspect for audiences.

And MUTHUR Covenant's voice doesn't retroactively change MUTHUR's voice in Alien, I don't even see where that idea of yours comes from  ???
SIRI has a lot of different voices already and it's not been around for twenty years, so to think the voice would be the same because the operating system has the same name is not a legit leap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed