Alien: River of Pain Audio Drama Announced!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 30, 2017, 08:29:19 AM

Author
Alien: River of Pain Audio Drama Announced! (Read 16,125 times)

Corporal Hicks

For Alien Day 2016, 20th Century Fox, Audible and Dirk Maggs treated us to an audio drama adaptation of Tim Lebbon’s Alien: Out of the Shadows. We absolutely loved it. With Alien Day 2017 fast approaching, it looks like Maggs and Audible are back with another adaptation of one of Titan Book’s other Alien novels, River of Pain!

“Ellen Ripley finally returns to Earth, only to discover that LV-426 – resting place of the Nostromo and the xenomorph she first encountered – has been renamed Acheron.

Protected by Colonial Marines, the colonists seek to terraform the storm-swept planet against all the odds. But in the face of brutal living conditions and the daily struggles of a new world, there is humanity and hope. Anne and Russell Jorden – two colonists who are seeking a fortune that eluded them on Earth – are expecting their first born child.

The birth of Rebecca Jorden, known to her family as ‘Newt’, is a cause for celebration. But as the colony grows and expands, so too do the political struggles between a small detachment of Colonial Marines and the Weyland-Yutani scientists posted on Acheron. Willing to overlook their orders in order to serve the Company’s interests, these scientists have another far more sinister agenda – to covertly capture a living Alien.

The wildcatters discover a vast, decaying spaceship. The horseshoe-shaped vessel is of particular interest to Weyland-Yutani, and may be the answer to their dreams. But what Anne and Russell find on board proves to be the stuff, not of dreams, but of nightmares.

Starring Anna Friel and Philip Glenister, this terrifying, cinematic, multi-cast dramatization – adapted from the original novel and directed by the multi-award winning Dirk Maggs, best-known for his adaptations of Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy and Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere for the BBC – is the sequel to Audible Original’s Alien: Out Of The Shadows (nominated for Best Audio Drama at the 2017 Audies).”

As with Out of the Shadows, River of Pain returns with Alien alumni in the way of William Hope (Aliens’ Lt. Gorman, Alien: Isolation’s Waits, Alien vs. Predator (2010)’s Groves and if we’re really going all the way, Aliens vs. Predator 2’s Predator vocals) and Colin Salmon (Alien vs. Predator’s Maxwell Stafford). Hope will likely be reprising his role as Gorman.

Also lending their talents to the Alien: River of Pain audio drama are Alexander Siddig and Anna Friel, both of which are no strangers to science fiction. Siddig is well known for portraying Julian Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Friel appeared as one of the leads in the short lived Pushing Daisies.

Digital Spy has some quotes from Siddig about his time on River of Pain and confirms that he will be playing Doctor Reese. IndieWire also has a short preview clip.

You can head on over to the Audible website and pre-order the Alien: River of Pain audio drama. You can also read our review of the original novel here.

Thanks to ScifiBulletin for the news. Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator merchandise news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Darkness

Is this a direct sequel to the last book?

Does it feature the same actress who played Ripley in the last one?

windebieste

Wow... that piece of art is astonishing and exactly the quality we should be getting from Fox on all their content.  It puts that other recently announced piece of blatantly awful and shonky FaceBook thing to shame. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on Mar 30, 2017, 08:35:38 AM
Is this a direct sequel to the last book?

No. The direct sequel was Sea of Sorrows but it jumped to the future. It took place on the same planet. This was the third of the original trilogy Titan published.

QuoteDoes it feature the same actress who played Ripley in the last one?

She hasn't been announced but it's a possibility. The book featured little snippets of Aliens with the original characters so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect she'd be back for those sections. Unless they cut Ripley out and it just focuses on Gorman. I wasn't a huge fan of those sections in the original novel.

I have to say I'm really excited for this one. I absolutely loved the Out of the Shadows drama. I relistened to it recently and I still dig it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 30, 2017, 08:40:36 AM
Wow... that piece of art is astonishing and exactly the quality we should be getting from Fox on all their content.  It puts that other recently announced piece of blatantly awful and shonky FaceBook thing to shame. 

-Windebieste.
What facebook thing?

Russ840

I did really love Out of the shadows Audio drama. Not sure I am interested in this one. I read the book but found it to be meh.

I didn't enjoy some of the retcons and what not.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/alien-river-of-pain-audible-clip-1201797861/ - Preview clip.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a824747/alexander-siddig-will-star-in-new-alien-spin-off-river-of-pain-its-very-suspenseful-and-terrifying/ - Couple of comments from Siddig.

Cast/character list via Starburst - http://www.starburstmagazine.com/news/audio-news/17857-audible-releases-alien-river-of-pain

QuoteAnna Friel as Anne Jorden

Anne Jorden, married to Russ Jorden, is a laid back but tough woman. Russ and Anne are wildcat prospectors who have taken their family out to terraform a brand new world. They're hardy colonists, seeking a fortune. Anne's relationship with her husband is strong, but his jealousy of Captain Demain Brackett endangers it. Anne fights to the very last to save her kids.

Alexander Siddigg as Doctor Reese

Doctor Reese is detached, cultured and ruthless. He is completely single minded about his job - to collect an alien specimen.

William Hope as Lieutenant Gorman

Despite being out of boot camp for a mere 5 months, Gorman has been promoted to lieutenant thanks to his political ties at the company. Gorman has only done simulations and seen no actual combat action. This is generally known throughout the platoon, as such, Gorman is not well respected by his fellow marines.

Colin Salmon as Captain Demain Brackett

Captain Brackett is a professional Space Marine, serious about his job but sensitive and with a sense of humour. Brackett once had a relationship with Anne Jorden and having been posted to the colony where she is raising her family, is very careful not to let their history derail her marriage. Brackett falls foul of a group of marines in his new command under Sgt. Draper who think he's weak. He isn't, but has to prove it to them.

Philip Glenister as Sergeant Draper

Draper is no-nonsense, a ruthless tyrant. He walks over others to get what he wants, and he respects no one.

Marc Warren as Russ Jorden

Russ Jorden is a wildcat prospector who has taken his family out to terraform a brand new world. Russ's daughter, Newt, is an iconic and pivotal character in the Alien universe. In the film Aliens, we don't see much of Russ and Anne Jorden, except that we know they were sent out by the company man on a mission that ended up wiping out them – and the entire colony. The film mainly picks up when the marines enter the colony on a rescue mission (or bug hunt) and they find Newt, hiding. That's exactly where our drama ends. This drama tells the story of what happens in the colony, and of Russ - it gives us insight into the sort of man who'd take his family out to such a wasteland, and the lengths he'll go to, to seek his fortune.

Michelle Ryan as Lieutenant Julisa Paris

Julisa is Brackett's second-in-command, and she can certainly hold her own with the Squad on Acheron. They respect her and she definitely gives as good as she gets. When the colony is overrun by Aliens, Paris proves that she is more than able as a commander in her own right, having to think quickly to outsmart the ultimate opponent.

Richman678

This is basically Aliens right?

fernandito

We need another alien isolation-like game based on the last stand of the colonists. So much room for a long and interesting game regardless of knowing the outcome

I can't believe alien isolation failed and thus we'll never see something like I say

Xenomrph

Quote from: Richman678 on Mar 30, 2017, 11:29:08 AM
This is basically Aliens right?
It's the story of the fall of Hadley's Hope.

Xenomorphine

That audio clip sounded as unintentionally hilarious as I imagined it would be. :laugh:

This is Salmon's second venture into 'Alien'-related stuff. He was in the first of the AVP films.

Engineer

Oh shit yea! I've been hoping for another audio drama! Loved the last one! And I'm stoked they skipped over sea of sorrows and went straight for river of pain!

PRJ_since1990

Excellent. Finally some good news on the horizon with audio dramas

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 30, 2017, 07:34:59 PM
Oh shit yea! I've been hoping for another audio drama! Loved the last one! And I'm stoked they skipped over sea of sorrows and went straight for river of pain!

I'm wondering if that comes next and then we move onto Rage Wars. They maybe doing it chronologically.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed