New Alien Covenant Poster!

Started by SuicideDoors, Mar 23, 2017, 01:01:44 PM

Author
New Alien Covenant Poster! (Read 54,741 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I guess.

Ironic that the one shot where it is CGI (in the theatrical cut) doesn't look too bad for the early 90s :laugh:

zoidy

zoidy

Exactly, some of the shots were puppets filmed in front of green screen and inserted into scenes, eg (I'm assuming) the horrible looking scene with the alien coming up to Ripley which absolutely looks like bad cgi.

From wikipedia: "The Alien is portrayed by both Woodruff, Jr. in a suit and a rod puppet filmed against bluescreen and optically composited into the live-action footage"

Alien Runner

Alien Runner

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Mar 26, 2017, 03:02:06 PM
    DECODING THE ALIEN COVENANT POSTER IN COLOR!!     .  (By Gavin Singleton of scified)

The legend for the colors used is as follows: 
Yellow - Protomorphs (3)
Light Turquoise Blue - Xenomorphs (9)
Dark Blue - Engineers (4)
Purple - Trilobite (at least 1)
Red - Queen (at least 1)
Green - Facehuggers (2)

Quote      Some have suggested that what I have identified as the Queens crown carapace may in actuality be the body of a Trilobite. I postulate that is instead both, as the body section of the Trilobites back shares some similar markings to that of the Queens crown carapace.

You will also notice that the three Protomorphs are shown almost unobstructed and unrestrained, whereas the numerous Xenomorphs seem to be overwhelmed, with only their heads visible among the mass. Most interesting are the four engineers, the three males of which are being subjugated, two by (differing) Facehuggers, and one by the Trilobite. The female engineer (the bosom/breast is too full to be male, the upper arm is less muscular and the hand is more feminine) is the only Engineer not being attacked, though like the other three Engineers her face is obscured.

The monochrome, untreated areas are where the mystery remains. Although there is an arm visible in the top left quadrant with an accompanying rib cage, whatever this figure is meant to be has been morphed into the surrounding mass. More interesting is the pelvic shaped mass above this arm and the inhuman mass beneath the lowermost Engineer.

As for the inferred meaning of all of this one can only speculate, as the best art even that which is memorial in nature is meant to be open to the interpretation of the audience. Even when the artist is clearly depicting something identifiable the best examples of art, especially renaissance pieces can be viewed from a different perspective.

My interpretation of this piece would be that the Engineers and Xenomorphs are being subjugated by the Trilobite with the Protomorphs rising from the chaos. The Queen/Trilobites crown being displayed top and center is possibly symbolizing said creatures position in the hierarchy of the hive mass depicted, possibly inferring that the Queen is closer related to the Protomorph than the classic Xenomorph.   

http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/43817 

Makes sense.

Queen > Trilobite > Protomorphs/Neomorphs > Xenomorphs (Which I believe to be tampered by David).

What if Alien ends up becoming a robot apocalypse sci-fi genre? Creator vs Created. Synthetics vs Organics. David vs Humans. Alien vs Humans. Basically, David the synthetic tampers with the xenomorph to create a biomechnical version of it to destroy his creator, mankind. Remember that Ridley Scott is responsible for both Alien and BLade Runner. He might link both of them in the same universe.

fernandito

fernandito

Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 28, 2017, 07:35:38 AMthe problem is, Alien3 completely killed and destroyed that. there was so much to go for and all the worst were taken. They never had to kill the crew.
You have to understand that it is a very difficult task, bordering act of faith to begin a conversation as to why Alien 3 was better or worse, while having such statement as the one and only starting point for debate.

Simply put, It's very difficult to take the argument any seriously as it kinda mirrors a child's beguilement

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 28, 2017, 07:35:38 AMthe problem is, Alien3 completely killed and destroyed that. there was so much to go for and all the worst were taken.
They never had to kill the crew. That would have been a base for so much more.

For everyone who is bitter that they killed Hicks and Newt, there's someone who finds the idea of the three of them going around as some kind of Alien ass-kicking family really cringe-worthy.

Hemi

Hemi

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 28, 2017, 11:51:05 AM
Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 28, 2017, 07:35:38 AMthe problem is, Alien3 completely killed and destroyed that. there was so much to go for and all the worst were taken.

For everyone who is bitter that they killed Hicks and Newt, there's someone who finds the idea of the three of them going around as some kind of Alien ass-kicking family really cringe-worthy.

Yup. Killing them was a bit excessive maybe, but the thought of the same group visiting the homeplanet or some sht like that is fcking terribad. :P 

Rather see them back with cameo's etc, give em a nice spot on Gateway..adopt Newt... and hump a few more. Then after a few origin movies let Covenants Neomorphs destroy Gateway, kill Newt and Hicks and start a new forum on the internet were everyone can btch about it.

Aternative dimension created! BOOOM!

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: fernandito on Mar 28, 2017, 07:00:44 AM
Quote from: Predaker on Mar 27, 2017, 10:19:33 PM
Suggesting that ALIENS somehow hampered or prevented any future films from being classics alongside the originals is a bit disingenuous.
The damage on the creature was indeed irreparable, and all just to make his own version of starship troopers, as he even admitted not too long ago

What damage are you specifically referring to and how was it irreparable?

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 28, 2017, 11:51:05 AM

Personally I took it in stride when Hicks and Newt died, but keeping them alive wouldn't automatically lead to Lost in Space with Aliens.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

No, my point was more that their survival wouldn't necessarily have led to better films.

MajorB

MajorB

The problem I've always had with Alien 3 isn't that Newt and Hicks died. If I want to see them alive, I can just pop in Aliens and watch it again. My issue with A3 is that it has all the emotional maturity of an angsty teenager's livejournal account.

episodenone

episodenone

My reason for wanting this movie to be awesome?  It's a very selfish one.

I want to come back here and dissect and discuss the film for a long time and I want as many of you guys to be happy as I hope to be :)

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: SiL on Mar 27, 2017, 01:30:14 PM
Things that can be pierced can be hard to break apart, tear, or crush. Things that can be easy to break apart or crush can be hard to pierce. They're very different physical forces. Susceptibility to one isn't much of an indication of the others.

And your dismissive eye roll doesn't change that.

To be fair SiL, you do make a valid point. But logic dictates, at least to me, that if the alien's exoskeleton can withstand a blast from the thrusters of a spaceship, considering the extreme forces involved, different as they maybe, then a spear should present little problem.

Quote from: fernandito on Mar 27, 2017, 03:34:30 PM
Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 27, 2017, 03:14:18 PMA Kevlar vest is not a complex organic life form. ;)
ssshh quiet!, it's just your..., misconception of things, was it?
:laugh:

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 27, 2017, 06:12:29 PM

Hard to argue with that!  :laugh:

The derelict to the space jockey, the eggs, the facehugger, Kane's death, all building up to the first reveal of the alien with Brett's demise... pure gold.

You disappoint me Predaker. If your going to start to agree with me, then where's the fun in that?  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 28, 2017, 05:10:50 PMBut logic dictates, at least to me, that if the alien's exoskeleton can withstand a blast from the thrusters of a spaceship, considering the extreme forces involved, different as they maybe, then a spear should present little problem.

Logic doesn't dictate that at all.

Who says future spaceship thrusters are even that hot? They wouldn't need to be, the only reason rocket engines are hot now is because of the fuel we use. Relatively thin plate steel would protect you from moderate heat for a few seconds (certainly as long as the Alien is in the exhaust stream in the film), but an armour-piercing bullet will go straight through it.

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 28, 2017, 05:21:24 PM
Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 28, 2017, 05:10:50 PMBut logic dictates, at least to me, that if the alien's exoskeleton can withstand a blast from the thrusters of a spaceship, considering the extreme forces involved, different as they maybe, then a spear should present little problem.

Logic doesn't dictate that at all.

Who says future spaceship thrusters are even that hot? They wouldn't need to be, the only reason rocket engines are hot now is because of the fuel we use. Relatively thin plate steel would protect you from moderate heat for a few seconds (certainly as long as the Alien is in the exhaust stream in the film), but an armour-piercing bullet will go straight through it.

I believe they were supposed to be plasma. At least according to RS.

In the script the thrusters were supposed to incinerate the alien. So yes, they were supposed to be pretty hot.

freehugs

freehugs

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 28, 2017, 09:41:55 AM
Quote from: freehugs on Mar 28, 2017, 04:09:48 AMi love alien 3 (assembly).  i just wish someone would go back and update the cgi.  the cgi makes me pout :(

The Alien in the third film wasn't CGI...

It surprises me that people still think it was.

i apologize for my over-generalization - i know they used puppets and practical effects (which were interesting on their own) - but you missed the point.  the digital trickery used to sew their puppets into the movie left much to be desired.  the lighting was wrong, it looked green-screened, and interrupted the viewing experience.  and the fact that so many "people still think" it's cgi is my point: it doesn't look real, and i wish someone would fix that, because the movie has a lot to offer. 

that is all.  carry on  8)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: freehugs on Mar 28, 2017, 06:07:15 PMi apologize for my over-generalization - i know they used puppets and practical effects (which were interesting on their own) - but you missed the point.  the digital trickery used to sew their puppets into the movie left much to be desired.

That wasn't digital either. It was composited optically, the old-fashioned way. The only thing done digitally was its shadow, and that isn't really what makes it look awful.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed