New Alien Covenant Poster!

Started by SuicideDoors, Mar 23, 2017, 01:01:44 PM

Author
New Alien Covenant Poster! (Read 54,749 times)

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: zoidy on Mar 27, 2017, 11:07:16 AM
How could it be indicative of something from the movie? I mean, the film has aliens in it, for sure. The rest is art.

Not in a direct manner. Poster showed us the clash between xenos and engineers thats is a good indication to me.
It has that Paradise Lost vibe... which is also noteworthy! Move is an art too, dont forget that. You dont need to
see everything in the movie, but it could still be there!

zoidy

zoidy

It's an indication it's an alien movie.

Seriously. That's it.

Original Alien 79 poster. Where was the egg and the boney lattice floor in the movie? They weren't there, it was an evocative disturbing image that gave some sort of indication of the terrors to come - ie this movie wasn't going to be Star Wars - but it was not actually representative of the movie.

Alien Covenant's new poster is similarly representative - a return to the alien rather than broad scifi/horror of the last movie, and including a variety of stock alien tropes - facehuggers and humanoid presumably engineers, aliens of different types, and central to the image at the centre/left, a version of the wiry muscular Covenant alien we now know is in the film.

But the other stuff is artistic licence - I've said it right at the start of this thread - the various aliens in the image are copied by the artist from well known poses from art and posters and stills, and amalgamated into a new artwork. It's how much digital art is done.

The idea the image represents actual events or aliens we haven't seen ... nah.

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 26, 2017, 07:47:15 PM
Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 26, 2017, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2017, 11:36:31 AM
The first film explicitly shows the Alien bleeding when hit by the harpoon gun. There was no contradiction in intention: you shoot the thing, it's shot. The end.

The film also explicitly shows the creature remaining physically intact when being hit by plasma blast from the engines of a spaceship, which obviously creates a logical contradiction with the harpoon scene. A contradiction that RS himself recognises, hence him feeling the need to explain what he would of done if he had the time and technology.

We could see the alien surfing on solar flares but if it slips on its board and gets a boo boo, then it's not indestructible. As contradictory as that may be, an injury overrides the notion of indestructibility. To say otherwise is cherry picking and ignoring fact, plain and simple. This misconception negates key elements that helped make ALIEN so great in the first place (and dumbs it way down.)

And I agree with you Predaker, but that's not the point I was making.

The point I was making, is that ALIEN is contradictory. If your going to have one scene showing a creature being damaged by a spear and then in the next scene show the same creature being blasted by the engines of a spacecraft and appearing to receive no physical damage, then that is inconsistent and contradictory. The 2nd scene is breaking the internal logic the 1st scene established; creating confusion and leaving itself open to interpretation. If ALIEN was consistent on this point, if the scene had been filmed as the script intended, then these debates, that have been raging over the internet for years, would of never have taken place. Going back to my original point, that people who draw these conclusions, do so, not just because their ill-informed, but because of a contradiction within the film itself.

And just to clarify, me saying I understand why people draw these conclusions is not the same as me saying I agree with their conclusions, a distinction, I feel you and a couple of others, who have now responded to me, have failed to make.

This all illustrates perfectly, why people getting too precious in their own interpretations of these movies, is a fools game. We our dealing with art, not science. There's going to be inconsistencies because artists often place expression ahead of logic.

My first post on this thread was meant to point out the flaws in the logic some were using in these arguments, while also being tongue in cheek; trying to emphasise the often playground mentality of my dad is bigger than your dad, that some ALIEN and ALIENS fans get involved in.

My second post, when I wrote:

'But as fans, I think we have to except that there are inconsistency's in the way the Alien is presented from film to film.' And trying to jump through hoops, desperately looking for continuity, is not going to resolve the issues.'

Was the main point I was trying to make in this debate.

The post that was mainly directed towards Xenomorphine, when I freely admit to misinterpreting your response to fernandito, was meant to express my personal preference to ALIEN over ALIENS and the reasons why I felt that way. But has somehow ended up with me being branded, with others, as a typical ALIEN fanboy, must be from imdb, does not understand the movie he claims to be a fan of, quick, grab the pitchforks and burn the infidel.

Now I get it, you long term members are probably sick to the back teeth of having to go through these same arguments time and time again; I don't blame you. But not every new member here, who expresses a preference to ALIEN over ALIENS, is doing so because they feel Cameron ruined the alien by turning it into a 'giant bug,' or arguing that the creature was always meant to be 'invincible.' Some of us actually have a preference on artistic grounds.

Now I'm sorry for the long-winded response and please don't take this as me trying to claim victimization, because that's not my intent. I'm just trying to clarify my points, so we don't end up in a circular argument, banging our heads against a brick wall.

Anyway, I've done exactly what I didn't want to do and hijack the thread... lol

fernandito

fernandito

Everyone of you is wrong and only that Predaker is right. You should know that by now.

You are not even allowed to come to your own conclusions or have your own idea about the first movie. Were you already 16-18-20 or even older years old when you went to see Alien to the cinema?. It won't make any difference! Predaker probably wasn't even appearing scheduled in his progenitor's future projects list when you were already sit there at your nearest theater watching the film, and still, you will be wrong when coming to your own conclusions.

Don't think by yourselves. Ask Predaker first

SiL

SiL

The film also explicitly shows the creature remaining physically intact when being hit by plasma blast from the engines of a spaceship, which obviously creates a logical contradiction with the harpoon scene.
No it doesn't. Those are very different forces you're talking about and withstanding one doesn't indicate or contradict being able to withstand another.

Predaker

Predaker

Dangerous Days: For what it's worth, I don't think of you as a "typical fan boy who doesn't understand the film." No hard feelings? :)

fernandito: Your personal attack aside, I believe SM is the leading expert around here.  ;D

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: SiL on Mar 27, 2017, 12:58:08 PM
The film also explicitly shows the creature remaining physically intact when being hit by plasma blast from the engines of a spaceship, which obviously creates a logical contradiction with the harpoon scene.
No it doesn't. Those are very different forces you're talking about and withstanding one doesn't indicate or contradict being able to withstand another.

::)

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 27, 2017, 01:07:01 PM
Dangerous Days: For what it's worth, I don't think of you as a "typical fan boy who doesn't understand the film." No hard feelings? :)

No hard feelings at all. :)

SiL

SiL

Things that can be pierced can be hard to break apart, tear, or crush. Things that can be easy to break apart or crush can be hard to pierce. They're very different physical forces. Susceptibility to one isn't much of an indication of the others.

And your dismissive eye roll doesn't change that.

Russ840

Russ840

Dangerous Days, I get what you are saying. I don't agree though.  My opinion is that 'Aliens' Portrays the Alien just as formidable and intelligent as Big Chap, just in a different set of circumstances which cause different actions.

I have never viewed the creature to be indestructible when watching. Not even my first viewing at the age of 9, did I get this impression.

I'm not saying my opinion is any more valid than yours though dude.

I personally favour Alien over Aliens. Not that I can serperate them much though. Lol

Perhaps all this Big Chap vs Camerbugs should have it's on thread. Lol it keeps derailing the poster discussion.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Mar 27, 2017, 01:30:14 PMThings that can be pierced can be hard to break apart, tear, or crush. Things that can be easy to break apart or crush can be hard to pierce. They're very different physical forces. Susceptibility to one isn't much of an indication of the others.

Exhibit A - Kevlar vests. Good at stopping bullets, not so great against knives.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Honestly it's better that the creature is not indestructible, insofar that it remains something like a credible, tangible creature bound by the physics of our universe, regardless of its more surrealistic (and down right cool) biological attributes; this makes you root for characters since there's always that chance of the creature's defeat - despite the abysmal odds - which propels suspense, unpredictability and catharsis. Of course, you could still argue that those things can still be achieved when characters simply survive the creature instead of eliminating it outright (indeed, Ripley casts the Queen into the abyss) but the genius of acid for blood presents an extra danger if it's destroyed.
Thus, when all of these elements are combined they make for great nightmare fuel and dynamic story telling.   

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 27, 2017, 01:30:38 PM
Dangerous Days, I get what you are saying. I don't agree though.  My opinion is that 'Aliens' Portrays the Alien just as formidable and intelligent as Big Chap, just in a different set of circumstances which cause different actions.

I have never viewed the creature to be indestructible when watching. Not even my first viewing at the age of 9, did I get this impression.

I'm not saying my opinion is any more valid than yours though dude.

I personally favour Alien over Aliens. Not that I can serperate them much though. Lol

Perhaps all this Big Chap vs Camerbugs should have it's on thread. Lol it keeps derailing the poster discussion.

That's fine Russ840 we are all entitled to our own interpretations. But just to clarify, I don't subscribe to the notion that Big Chap is invincible; just very hard to kill.

I have no problem with bullets killing them either. I just felt like Weaver, they killed too many of them in ALIENS and took away some of their threat as a result.

And I'll say it again. The alien only felt truly alien to me in the first film, which is why I preferred RS's take.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 27, 2017, 01:58:40 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 27, 2017, 01:30:14 PMThings that can be pierced can be hard to break apart, tear, or crush. Things that can be easy to break apart or crush can be hard to pierce. They're very different physical forces. Susceptibility to one isn't much of an indication of the others.

Exhibit A - Kevlar vests. Good at stopping bullets, not so great against knives.

A Kevlar vest is not a complex organic life form. ;)

fernandito

fernandito

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 27, 2017, 03:14:18 PMA Kevlar vest is not a complex organic life form. ;)
ssshh quiet!, it's just your..., misconception of things, was it?

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

My problem (if you can call it that) is not that a lot of aliens were killed in the film, but that a lot of those killings were played as jokes, or near jokes: the APC squash, Vasquez pinning one to the wall with her leg, Hudson's final 'monologue'. These were stand-up-and-cheer moments, which robs the alien of a lot of its power and menace.

Don't get me wrong, these moments are exactly right for the film that Cameron made. But it's quite a different vibe from the first movie!

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 27, 2017, 03:58:33 PM
My problem (if you can call it that) is not that a lot of aliens were killed in the film, but that a lot of those killings were played as jokes, or near jokes: the APC squash, Vasquez pinning one to the wall with her leg, Hudson's final 'monologue'. These were stand-up-and-cheer moments, which robs the alien of a lot of its power and menace.

Don't get me wrong, these moments are exactly right for the film that Cameron made. But it's quite a different vibe from the first movie!
I'd agree with that. And whilst Aliens was the best possible sequel it, in a way, killed the franchise. There was nowhere else left to go.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed