Should there be an epic set piece spectacle like prometheus crashing juggernaut?

Started by motherfather, Mar 22, 2017, 11:33:09 PM

Author
Should there be an epic set piece spectacle like prometheus crashing juggernaut? (Read 1,621 times)

motherfather

motherfather

OK. So in Prometheus we had the very dramatic scene of epic proportions of a crashing, rolling runaway Juggernaut ship.

Probably it was one of the highlights of the movie, given there was precious little else to focus on during marketing campaigns.

Should there be something of a similar epic/dramatic scale in Covenant? Or should the focus be on more intimate less epic moments?

The taking off ship with Daniels roped and tethered to the outside looks like it could be the Covenant equivalent of the Prometheus crashing juggernaut. Unless of course the covenant juggernaut "balanced" on the hillside gets dislodged and slides downhill or some other dramatic thing happens.

What do you think?

whiterabbit

They should blow the planet up. It would at least explain how Calpamos got it's rings.:P

BishopShouldGo

Give me intimate. And give me epic. Both. But a heavy dose of epic because we haven't really had epic for Alien. There are brief shots. Like Ripley 8 making that jump at the end of resurrection.

But look at the end of the green band trailer...

acrediblesource

I'm  hoping there is more epic shots in AC because the mystery of film has always been spoiled by the trailers, almost always. Alien has been one of those movies where the final money shot made history and nobody knew about it.
Lets put money down on it happening.
But ultimately based on what prometheus had delivered, there is a good bet that the spoils  are already on the table. :(
Some times i can't believe what im writing on these forums.

Scorpio

Every alien movie you have a scene where the creature 'dies' then inexplicably survives for one more action scene.  The scene in the trailer may be the penultimate action scene.

CainsSon

I hear there's some epic spectacle-level flute playing...

Corporal Hicks

:laugh: Space jazz band?

I'm hoping not. We've already seen a crashed Juggernaut/Derelict. It's our third one. Let's not repeat ourselves even more and have another crashing sequence. We've already seen a ship blowing up. I'm fine with just that.

SuicideDoors

I think David walking through the sea of petrified Engineer bodies is the sort of grandeur imagery I'm looking forward too.

Infected

To me personally, that point with the rolling juggernaut i was thinking to myself, am i really watching this, is this what they went for,
im trying to be nice, but i wanna scream i never wanna see something stupid like that again in a serious alien movie.
In the Naked Gun i could understand and laugh about it, but after all the fails in this beautiful movie and all the let downs,
i cant bring any respect towards this scene, if Vickers died they should have used the Deacon and not to be crushed by that ship,
It just indicates that the movie didnt had a real potential threat, most of them just died of stupidity, so epic? Not in a long shot.

motherfather

Died of stupidity - that is so true. The Nostromo crew at least had a bit cop-on and were smart/strategizing.

Lets hope the covenant crew aren't as dumb as a box of hair.  :D

Infected

Quote from: motherfather on Mar 23, 2017, 09:37:17 AM
Died of stupidity - that is so true. The Nostromo crew at least had a bit cop-on and were smart/strategizing.

Lets hope the covenant crew aren't as dumb as a box of hair.  :D
In my head i hear Keanu Reeves from Speed saying to me: you are wearing a thight spandex spacesuit with a plastic fishbowl on your head, a big giant alien ship is rolling on the surface of an alien planet, its rolling towards you... what do you do, what do you do? (Ok its Dennis Hoppers line but its sounds more cool if Keanu says it in Bill and Ted surfer dude accent) :D
A giant alien worm/snake that looks like a cobra pops up in an alien temple on an alien planet, what do you do... what do you doooo?
Im gonna approach it like its a little cute chihuahuah

Darth Vile

I was at the World Trade Centre in 2001. And when it collapsed everyone was running in a straight line. No one was zig zagging. What purpose would it serve?

Infected

Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 23, 2017, 11:02:14 AM
I was at the World Trade Centre in 2001. And when it collapsed everyone was running in a straight line. No one was zig zagging. What purpose would it serve?
i cant speak for others but  its not the way Vickers is running, but to me its the choice they made to insert this scene and made it a big scene, it would also made more impact if Vickers escaped it at the last moment, if you wanna create a survival moment you make sure the actor is in a thight scenario and barely escapes, that will highten the tension, but in an alien movie to make this scene so big, oh an alien movie but she is crushed by a falling ship, its missing the whole alien threat scenario its more part of a disaster movie then an alien movie.
If they would let the deacon be born after the crash and Vickers survives, the deacon sees Vickers crawl underneath the juggernaut or she is stuck, the deacon kills het brutally when she is stuck or if she gets loose it will hunt her it would have done much more for the movie and franchise, and at the point Vickers is trying to escape or fighting for her life, David talks to Shaw that she should help him and they can leave while Vickers is "distracting" the deacon, eventually making Shaw believe Vickers is responsible for the death of Holloway,
And at that moment you see David is still compromising Shaw, and Vickers is being killed off horrobly while Shaw and David fly away.
You would have Charlize in a brutal Deacon kill, David still runnjng the show and Shaw still be the naive victim of it all.
But thats wishfull thinking, so its not the scene its the way they handled it and it just was lame, imo.

Darth Vile

Well I guess so, but one needs to look at it within the context of the film Scott is attempting to make I.e. it's got a much bigger scope that the original Alien, both in terms of budget and more importantly narrative. It's much more epic. It's no my favourite scene in the movie, but it's certainly not the worst on the Alien franchise.

motherfather

motherfather

Zig zagging is to avoid snipers. At least according to Rupaul when the girls sashay down the runway zigzag style :-)

Yup. Vickers running in a straight line wasn't the issue. Running in the right path to cover the least amount of ground to get her out of harm's way was the issue. She ran along the juggernaut's expected fall-line/shadow, rather than away from it at an angle. I suppose you could argue she didn't have the camera's perspective of where the juggernaut was heading, or her instinct just said run- no matter in which direction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed