Life Director Talks Alien: Covenant Competition

Started by SuicideDoors, Mar 21, 2017, 08:19:53 AM

Author
Life Director Talks Alien: Covenant Competition (Read 5,374 times)

Feeds On Minds

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose to go see LIFE.

NickisSmart

I'd probably want to see both, to be able to compare them.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Just saw Life, Great film, admittedly inspired by Alien.

I don't think Alien: Covenant is going to surpass it by a long shot. Life was just so fresh, and Alien: Covenant is the 8th instalment in a franchise consisting of more bad films than good ones by now, Although I would love to be proven wrong.

Necronomicon II

How is Life "fresh", exactly?

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Mar 22, 2017, 08:35:45 PM
How is Life "fresh", exactly?

Tight script, Nice actors with good performances, excellent photography, Cool Creature elements, self-contained story with no sequel hooks and Great music, Mostly that.

Like how Alien was considered incredibly fresh in 1979, tough hardly being the first movie featuring aliens vs. people in an isolated inviroment.

See "It! the terror from space and planet of the vampires.

Necronomicon II

I see, it does look pretty tight, yes I'm well aware of Alien's precursors, though it was the sheer visionary and original genius of the creature and art design that made it fresh, I'm not sensing that from Life; which by all accounts thus far seems to be a good if derivative film.

whiterabbit

So not really fresh, more so gravity with an alien? Self contained story means a one shot production. Which is fine.

Necronomicon II

I'm seeing it in a couple of hours, I'm sure it'll be fun.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 23, 2017, 12:41:37 AM
So not really fresh, more so gravity with an alien? Self contained story means a one shot production. Which is fine.

Yes, the same way Alien is a haunted house movie with an alien in it.
Don't be so c*nty. go see the movie.

Necronomicon II

Just saw it, and yeah it was good but not great; it's just Gravity with a bloodthirsty squid. Solid performances but barely little in the way of character development, there were some nice tense scenes and visuals however. As far as it possibly stealing Covenant's thunder, yeah not likely; the Covenant Green Band trailer previewed before Life and you could hear a pin drop.

I give Life a 3/5.   

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

QuoteIt's been a while since a passable sci-fi horror hit our screens. So in many ways I'm happy to give Life a pass just for reminding me how much I enjoy the genre. But for the lack of originality, for its waste of that top-drawer cast and for never really putting me on the edge of my seat once, Life is a hard film to recommend.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/film-reviews/90752365/movie-review-life--an-efficient-but-unspectacular-scarefest

That's a 3.5/5 review. A lot of the feedback I'm reading is slightly polarising in regards to flattering scores not so flattering write ups. Still looking forward to it though, but I think Alien Covenant can stand on its own two feet.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'll be seeing Life on the weekend. I honestly don't care if similar films come out within the same timeframe, I see 'em both. I am really curious to see how Covenant performs though. It still feels like we're waiting for wide marketing to begin. It all feels a little quiet with the general public at the minute. To me, anyway.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 23, 2017, 08:14:00 AM
I'll be seeing Life on the weekend. I honestly don't care if similar films come out within the same timezone, I see 'em both. I am really curious to see how Covenant performs though. It still feels like we're waiting for wide marketing to begin. It all feels a little quiet with the general public at the minute. To me, anyway.

Yeah same! Besides, both films look like they've got different things going for them. Life looks more claustrophobic whilst Covenant looks like it has broader themes and a bigger scale. When we see the reviews come out in May for Cov I think it'll be reviewed on its own terms.

Necronomicon II

Can confirm Life is pretty claustrophobic, not really scary per se though, just tense.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 23, 2017, 08:14:00 AMI'll be seeing Life on the weekend. I honestly don't care if similar films come out within the same timeframe, I see 'em both.

That's good, because Hollywood seems to do it all the time lol.

Volcano vs. Dante's Peak. Deep Impact vs. Armageddon. Tombstone vs. Wyatt Earp. Olympus Has Fallen vs. White House Down etc. etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed