Did the Derelict Ship survive the blast?

Started by DerelictShip, Mar 17, 2017, 10:26:58 PM

Author
Did the Derelict Ship survive the blast? (Read 10,312 times)

Local Trouble

So...no takers on the quarantine theory?

DerelictShip

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 19, 2017, 06:54:57 PM

Elaborate dear sir...

Local Trouble

Quote from: DerelictShip on Mar 19, 2017, 09:35:00 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 19, 2017, 06:54:57 PM

Elaborate dear sir...

See my second post on page one.

FiorinaFury161

I think it's a neat idea.

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2017, 10:01:07 AM
I dunno about that. The author of the WY Report said she was told by FOX to word the bits about the Derelict the way she did because they "had plans" for the Derelict in other media.
And until it materializes, it's a moot point.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2017, 10:01:07 AM
I dunno about that. The author of the WY Report said she was told by FOX to word the bits about the Derelict the way she did because they "had plans" for the Derelict in other media.

Didn't know that. Interesting.

Can only think it was in relation to the Blomkamp concept art.

SM

It was written sometime prior to the Blomkamp thing surfacing.

Xenomorphine

"Curiouser and curiouser..."

SiL

They've gone back to the derelict multiple times in various EU, so it's not surprising.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: SiL on Mar 20, 2017, 02:58:18 AM
They've gone back to the derelict multiple times in various EU, so it's not surprising.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 20, 2017, 02:58:18 AM
It's a visually and thematically interesting element of the first movie, which is why it always struck me as bizarre when I'd see fans defending its alleged (off-screen) destruction, especially when its in service to a throwaway line that only exists to support a plot where the writer wrote himself into a corner by being forced to include Ripley, in a movie that wasn't particularly well received to begin with.

As an aside, the levels where you explore the Derelict in AvPClassic, Colonial Marines, and (especially) Alien Isolation are some of my favorite levels in Alien-themed videogames.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 18, 2017, 09:37:58 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2017, 08:39:41 PM
The Derelict was not a viable source of eggs following the destruction of the AP.

But CMTM.

Doesn't mean the Derelict wasn't destroyed. Didn't AvP99 mention something about sterilized eggs or was that done on purpose and not related to the AP blast?

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 20, 2017, 09:53:55 AM
It's a visually and thematically interesting element of the first movie, which is why it always struck me as bizarre when I'd see fans defending its alleged (off-screen) destruction
So was MUTHR and the Nostromo, but when shit's gone, shit's gone.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 20, 2017, 10:27:18 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 18, 2017, 09:37:58 PM
Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2017, 08:39:41 PM
The Derelict was not a viable source of eggs following the destruction of the AP.

But CMTM.

Doesn't mean the Derelict wasn't destroyed. Didn't AvP99 mention something about sterilized eggs or was that done on purpose and not related to the AP blast?
We don't know, it just says they're sterilized. I never considered that it could be in reference to the original AP blast, I figured it was just dialogue to justify why the eggs don't spring facehuggers at you like you'd expect when you put your face in them. And considering the first several levels of the Marine campaign take place on LV-426 and have Aliens running around, those Aliens had to have come from somewhere.

Also the CMTM outright says the Derelict wasn't destroyed. :P

Quote from: SiL on Mar 20, 2017, 10:32:37 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 20, 2017, 09:53:55 AM
It's a visually and thematically interesting element of the first movie, which is why it always struck me as bizarre when I'd see fans defending its alleged (off-screen) destruction
So was MUTHR and the Nostromo, but when shit's gone, shit's gone.
The difference being their destruction served the plot of the movie they're in, they had significant screen time and were thoroughly explored, and weren't eliminated off-screen in service of bad writing. You think the Derelict is gone because Resurrection implies it because it's part of what makes the "cloning Ripley" contrivance make sense, but nowhere in any of the movies does it say it was destroyed.

Also I saw you kinda truncated what you quoted from my post, I didn't write those words by accident. :)

If the Derelict had been shown being destroyed in 'Aliens', we wouldn't even be having this conversation. The entire catalyst for its survival is straight out of the dialogue in the 'Aliens' special edition anyway - we're told it's "out past the Ilyum range". The CMTM's explanation for its survival is more than plausible given what the movie tells us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed