Did the Derelict Ship survive the blast?

Started by DerelictShip, Mar 17, 2017, 10:26:58 PM

Author
Did the Derelict Ship survive the blast? (Read 10,355 times)

DerelictShip

After the explosion do you think the Derelict ship survived?

In the film it is never discussed how far away the ship is from Hadleys Hope....

Also, the mountainous terrain could have prevented the explosion from causing major destruction to the ship.

If anyone has the explosion scene could you please attach it as well?

Xenomorphine

It's quite possible, yes. We don't know what the distance was from the colony.

However, if 'Alien Resurrection' wasn't a dream, then we have the quote which pretty much dismisses it as a possibility. I also like to think Ripley would have preferred to be 100% thorough and made sure, with Bishop's assistance, that it had been destroyed.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out before that the egg chamber's dimensions are larger than the ship could technically support.... If it was a matter of the ship docking onto a subterranean cavern/facility, then Ripley could have wrongly assumed that, even if the derelict was clearly destroyed, that it meant the eggs also were.

Keep in mind that the early scripts for 'Alien' depicted the ship having docked onto a structure which was put there by an even older civilisation.

Local Trouble

I like where this discussion is destined to go.  ;D

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 17, 2017, 10:41:36 PM

On the other hand, it's been pointed out before that the egg chamber's dimensions are larger than the ship could technically support.... If it was a matter of the ship docking onto a subterranean cavern/facility, then Ripley could have wrongly assumed that, even if the derelict was clearly destroyed, that it meant the eggs also were.

Wow. Never came across this before, this makes a lot more sense now when watching it....as I'm watching Alien right now of course.

But I also just caught the part where Ash says the planet is made of a Rock Lava Base (lava rock). So, now I'm wondering about LV 426 as well, because there must have been some volcanic activity of some sort...

Back to topic however, I do see the derelict surviving the blast the more I think about it. It may get disfigured and beat up but the amount of material that it's composed of would have definitely shielded the Alien eggs within, also taking in the fact that the eggs were 'underground' or underneath the ship just makes them less likely to be exposed.

....which means.....ALIENS remain on LV 426!

If you look in the background as well you can see how the 'ship' or alien chamber weaves way way way off into the distance.....not following the derelicts design pattern at all.

Instead of a U it seems more like an S on its side.

Xenomrph

According to the Colonial Marines Tech Manual, it survived the blast. The Weyland Yutani Report does not contradict this (and according to the author, this was intentional).

As for the Derelict's wacky interior dimensions, I interpreted it more as a nod to its Lovecraftian inspirations, where otherworldly, inscrutable alien structures often have "impossible" geometry.

You know, kinda like a Tardis. It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

I also like to think Ripley would have preferred to be 100% thorough and made sure, with Bishop's assistance, that it had been destroyed.
This is the same Ripley who didn't take the time to check her own ship for stowaway eggs, therefore getting her friends killed and herself stranded on a prison planet. If she's willing to make a slip-up like that, I'm more than willing to accept her (erroneously) believing the Derelict was destroyed in the blast.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2017, 04:44:28 AM
I also like to think Ripley would have preferred to be 100% thorough and made sure, with Bishop's assistance, that it had been destroyed.

This is the same Ripley who didn't take the time to check her own ship for stowaway eggs, therefore getting her friends killed and herself stranded on a prison planet. If she's willing to make a slip-up like that, I'm more than willing to accept her (erroneously) believing the Derelict was destroyed in the blast.

This is why we need SM's FArT. :laugh:

I suggested the following as a compromise before and got nothing but crickets...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 02, 2017, 10:39:30 PM
Another possibility is that the Sulaco was equipped with automated picket drones that could be deployed as satellites around a quarantined planet.  These drones would then both transmit a warning beacon and report any violations of the quarantine back to the network.

In lieu of nuking the planet from orbit, maybe Bishop was able to assure Ripley that the company would never be able to plunder the derelict without exposing themselves.

SM

The Derelict was not a viable source of eggs following the destruction of the AP.

cliffhanger

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2017, 08:39:41 PM
The Derelict was not a viable source of eggs following the destruction of the AP.

that's correct, the derelict never contained them :D

well, that's what i find interesting from the theory above, that they actually not were aboard the ship anymore, but that the cargo hold was actually a subterrain facility.

Local Trouble

But CMTM.

SM

Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 18, 2017, 08:51:20 PM

well, that's what i find interesting from the theory above, that they actually not were aboard the ship anymore, but that the cargo hold was actually a subterrain facility.

Hold, facility, whatever, it's still not a viable source of eggs.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Mar 19, 2017, 01:50:40 AM
Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 18, 2017, 08:51:20 PM

Hold, facility, whatever, it's still not a viable source of eggs.
As with everything else in this franchise, this is only true until it isn't. :)

SiL

And for now it is, so pretending otherwise is pointless.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 19, 2017, 05:07:35 AM
And for now it is, so pretending otherwise is pointless.
I dunno about that. The author of the WY Report said she was told by FOX to word the bits about the Derelict the way she did because they "had plans" for the Derelict in other media.

Local Trouble

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.  ;D

x-M-x

x-M-x

I actually said the same thing when i saw that scene, when kane is going down you see how VAST and MASSIVE the hallways are... there is no way in hell the ship is that big ?

Keep in mind that the early scripts for 'Alien' depicted the ship having docked onto a structure which was put there by an even older civilisation.

Maybe in early scripts, but looking at the scene it's clearly obvious that ship is docked onto something like a hatch but not fully docked, as the ship looks like it's *tilting* 

(while a dead xeno made that hole) possible killed by the jockey while he's still in the chair.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed