Ridley Scott Talks Beginning of Alien: Covenant

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 15, 2017, 04:11:22 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Beginning of Alien: Covenant (Read 17,666 times)

Corporal Hicks

Following Alien: Covenant’s big impact at SXSW last weekend, we’re still seeing more information being released! Talking recently to Vanity Fair, Sir Ridley Scott has spoken about the opening scenes of Alien: Covenant.

"We start Covenant," he continues, "with a really clever prologue that settles—once and for all—who David really is." The sequence begins on a "big beautiful blue eye—you see every vein" and over that shot audiences will hear footsteps approach. "How do you feel?" a voice asks. "Alive," the owner of the eye responds. Scott explains that the prologue reveals Guy Pearce's Prometheus character, Peter Weyland, as a younger, 40-year-old man (Pearce wore heavy old-age make-up for the 2012 film) whom the newly-born David calls "father." Scott promises this sequence will "really get people going because it's f**king smart for a change."

If you think that sounds familiar, you’re not wrong. Back in October 2016, Alien vs. Predator Galaxy revealed the details of this opening sequence when we announced that Guy Pearce would be returning for Alien: Covenant. We’ve also saw brief parts of this opening scene in the very first trailer.

“The sequence begins on a "big beautiful blue eye—you see every vein" and over that shot audiences will hear footsteps approach.” – Ridley Scott talks beginning of Alien: Covenant in new interview with Vanity Fair.

Some fans have noticed some aesthetic similarities to 2001: A Space Odyssey in that briefly glimpsed sequence in the trailer and the latest #MeetWalter viral marketing. This is no coincidence:

“Scott drew inspiration from a viewing of 2001: A Space Odyssey when, he says, as a young man he "gawped and gawped" at Hal's famous, unblinking red lens. "You see nothing but the eye" of this creature, Scott marveled.”

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

shawsbaby

shawsbaby

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 15, 2017, 04:11:22 PM
Scott promises this sequence will "really get people going because it's f**king smart for a change."

For some reason this quote makes me cringe... cuz it's not especially smart, maybe?

lv_226

My only gripe from what was seen in the Red Band trailer of this gorgeously shot scene: why isn't David blonde? In the David 8 commercials he was blonde (bald after coming off the assembly line); in the first trailer, he looks like Walter  ???

shawsbaby

Quote from: lv_226 on Mar 15, 2017, 04:22:33 PM
My only gripe from what was seen in the Red Band trailer of this gorgeously shot scene: why isn't David blonde? In the David 8 commercials he was blonde (bald after coming off the assembly line); in the first trailer, he looks like Walter  ???

Well, remember in Prometheus he dyes his hair blond. I'm guessing they filmed the viral stuff quickly and in the midst of shooting the film, so no one gave a second thought to changing Fassbender/David's hair back to brown to keep consistent (though I'm certain they used a wig anyway, so even sillier).

x-M-x

So...
QuotePeter Weyland, as a younger, 40-year-old man

This means that scene would be around 2033? If Peter is around 40 no?

So david is *one of the firsts* to be made, if that is true and he was new in 2033 that would mean David is very old... in terms of tech/hardware and he's still running?

Bit odd it never explained this in Prometheus (we all thought david was built in the 2080/90's no?

lv_226

Quote from: shawsbaby on Mar 15, 2017, 04:24:16 PM

Well, remember in Prometheus he dyes his hair blond. I'm guessing they filmed the viral stuff quickly and in the midst of shooting the film, so no one gave a second thought to changing Fassbender/David's hair back to brown to keep consistent (though I'm certain they used a wig anyway, so even sillier).

Yes, I see that you are correct.  I am willing to let this one slip.

x-M-x

Quote from: lv_226 on Mar 15, 2017, 04:26:38 PM
Quote from: shawsbaby on Mar 15, 2017, 04:24:16 PM

Yes, I see that you are correct.  I am willing to let this one slip.

Maybe he's natural blonde? and changes it to brown? then back to blonde?

lol...

Bojo

Bojo

Scott promises this sequence will "really get people going because it's f**king smart for a change."

::)

It's going to be AWESOME, MOTHERF**KERS!!!!

lv_226

Mr. Scott is quite the hype machine (got me really pumped for Prometheus) so....

Ingwar

Peter Weyland as a younger 40-year-old man? Guy Pearce is 49.

In Prometheus they made Pearce much older and now they had to make him slightly younger that he really is.

Evanus

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 15, 2017, 04:59:52 PM

In Prometheus they made Pearce much older and now they had to make him slightly younger that he really is.
To be honest, Guy Pearce looks pretty damn good for his age.

Xenomorphine

We already know who/what David 8 is: A synthetic.

Unless there's something in addition to that scene, none of it sounds 'clever' or 'smart', so much as artistic. I'm fairly sure I've seen a number of films where it pulls back from a character's eye to segue into some verbal exposition.

CainsSon

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 15, 2017, 05:31:28 PM
We already know who/what David 8 is: A synthetic.

Unless there's something in addition to that scene, none of it sounds 'clever' or 'smart', so much as artistic. I'm fairly sure I've seen a number of films where it pulls back from a character's eye to segue into some verbal exposition.

I think he may be referring to the overall point/message and subtext of the scene and not just the visuals.

shawsbaby

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 15, 2017, 04:59:52 PM

Well, to be fair, if they didn't bother smoothing out Fassbender's (allegedly!) booze-tattered face with some CGI to make him look as he did in Prometheus, Pearce playing 40 at 50 ain't no thang. ;-)

BishopShouldGo

It is smart.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed