In Alien, how did Mother know it was allowed to give Ripley clearance?

Started by motherfather, Mar 12, 2017, 04:18:27 PM

Author
In Alien, how did Mother know it was allowed to give Ripley clearance? (Read 676 times)

motherfather

motherfather

In Alien, upon Dallas' death, Ripley says to Ash "I have access to mother now"

So, how exactly does Mother know she is now allowed to give Ripley access instead of Dallas?

Does mother "sense" Dallas is dead to allow and accept Ripley's override command?

Or is there some kind of implied off-screen protocol, that Dallas puts codes in an envelope or something in case he does not return from the ventilator shafts?

Surely you can't just walk up to mother's main room when you feel like it, announce Dallas is dead, scan your (not Dallas') thumbprint and expect to get access to who knows what...

I suppose a mining ship is hardly a place for fort knox style security measures unless they are carrying precious cargo. But it does seem odd the ease at which Ripley thinks she can waltz in and gain access (despite, dare I say, green screen resistance from insane in the mainframe mother)

Valaquen

There is a key card. Dallas uses it at the start of the film. It was to be mentioned more via dialogue, but that was cut. You have to keep your eyes peeled to see it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed