Guy Pearce Says Covenant Goes Back to Origins of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Films!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Mar 08, 2017, 06:27:57 PM

Author
Guy Pearce Says Covenant Goes Back to Origins of Ridley Scott’s ‘Alien’ Films!! (Read 16,864 times)

Protozoid

Perhaps I was oversensitive, but I found it condescending when you lectured me, Ingwar. You definitely weren't the best example of Prometheus trolling I could have chosen, though. It's the people who casually call Prometheus stupid and insist that the fans accept the minority opinion that drives me nuts. Or dogging on Lindelof. Lindelof was one of the best things that ever happened to the Alien series, imo.

LV1337

To the topic in question; Is there really this much of a necessity to shoehorn Guy Pierce back into the franchise, 10 years after Weyland's death? Granted if WY are still developing stuff in his name that prove imperative to the story in Covenant, or it's another WY-funded expedition, I don't mind, But at this point, if we're just throwing him in for more "God's made fire" lecture, I'll go back to watching Gods of Egypt, just to get to the point of what religious context Ridley is trying to force into his directing career.

As for the love/hate for Prometheus in the comments; Personally, I'm 50/50 with the film.Most people will Nitpick the straightest running line in history, others will cringe at the c-sec scene, but regardle Ridley did what he thought at the time was best, trying to cover as much ground as possible and give enough explanation and add his personal touch, but it instead became a complete mess (Possibly in par to Lindelof's integration with the writing) with questionable nitpicky actions and an overhyped marketing course.

As long as Ridley doesn't pull a rinse/repeat of the series of the next 5 films in the series and adds more and more tiers of god-status extraterrestrials who made the previous iteration to the point human's were made, and actually let's Blomkamp into the fold with his addition to the series, we stand a good chance at getting a logical and enjoyable prequel story to the events of Ripley. This is all that I ask.

426Buddy

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 09, 2017, 12:18:21 AM
Perhaps I was oversensitive, but I found it condescending when you lectured me, Ingwar. You definitely weren't the best example of Prometheus trolling I could have chosen, though. It's the people who casually call Prometheus stupid and insist that the fans accept the minority opinion that drives me nuts. Or dogging on Lindelof. Lindelof was one of the best things that ever happened to the Alien series, imo.

Do you ever think that lot of people just actually disagree with you and arent trolling?

People crap all over a lot of films that I love, I don't take it personally. Besides you could fill a whole room with fans of this franchise and none of them would agree on what makes it great.

I like Prometheus but I found it unsatisfying and that made its flaws stick out all the more, for me anyway. (At the theater when the credits rolled, I turned to my brother and said "it was kind of good?" Half asking while shrugging my shoulders. He didnt really say anything and looked like he didnt know either lol.)

Dangerous Days

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 09, 2017, 12:18:21 AM

Damon! stop it now! Your embarrassing yourself... ;)

Protozoid

Yeah, nothing condescending about those replies. I'm defensive because I am constantly being called upon to defend my point of view. I'd lol at the Damon comment if I hadn't already heard that joke from trolls on IMDB. I know you were just trying to lighten things up, but it's a good example of how a joke that has been wearing me down for literally years at this point. It isn't funny, anymore. It's a passively aggressive way to dismiss me. Prometheus made $400 million and was one of the top-renting and selling discs of the year, but they are acting like its fans are invisible. Telling me to "get over it" or teasing me isn't going to help, either. More and more it's looking like the Prometheus fans are being shut out of the Covenant conversation "because its what the fans want." Scott and Fox have been promising Prometheus 2 for half a decade. The Alien fans are getting what they want and the Prometheus fans are being told to accept a pseudosequel that changes genres and lead characters like they were underpants. Being told to "deal with it" isn't helping me get past the early stages of grieving for Prometheus 2. It's just reaffirming my belief that Fox is making a huge mistake by rewarding a hate wave. It was a painful thing for me to go through and this sequel is making it massively worse. Call me sensitive, but I was really looking forward to Prometheus 2 and I have zero interest in more Alien movies.

echobbase79

Protozoid

Do you happen to know what were some of the ideas for Prometheus 2?

BishopShouldGo

Protozoid what's the one element of covenant that has you most excited? What did you think of the walter teaser clip?

Protozoid

Quote from: echobbase79 on Mar 09, 2017, 04:00:47 AM

Protozoid

Do you happen to know what were some of the ideas for Prometheus 2?
Not a lot of details, although a surprising number of those have already been flipped completely around. Instead of no xenos, tons of xenos. Instead of the story being focused on Shaw, we get a cameo. We may not even be getting that, depending on what they cut. Instead of getting the xenos again, Scott kept dangling the promise that Shaw would meet the creator of the Engineers in Paradise and that it would be more sinister than she expected. Instead of getting to meet this new being, it sounds like this movie will focus on the xenomorphs. This may be the biggest change of all: Damon Lindelof said the question we should be asking at the end of Prometheus is, "What does the black goo do?" But from what we've heard, the goo and the Engineers are barely in the movie, if at all. I wish I knew more about Prometheus 2. I imagine that about half of the ideas were jettisoned after Scott made The Martian and the other half will probably still be used. I hope.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 09, 2017, 04:17:37 AM
Protozoid what's the one element of covenant that has you most excited? What did you think of the walter teaser clip?
The Walter clip was too short to formulate an opinion. I like the choice of quotes. That gives me hope that the new screenwriters didn't drop the Promethean themes. The part I'm most excited to see is another lesson from a master filmmaker in how to smuggle a worthwhile message into a movie by encoding the images with more detail than the script had. Alien and Blade Runner seemed to help him develop this ability to tell a story with the production design. He even stated this as his goal with Blade Runner. I think Prometheus was a masterpiece of production design and if I find the story of Covenant underwhelming, I will focus on whatever nuggets of wisdom Scott manages to smuggle into the images.

Lieutenant Mike Harrigan

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

My guess is weyland will appear in a prologue with David as he first becomes concious. Weyland will tell him things about god, mortality and such, possibly planting the seeds of the notion of a perfect organism, that will be the catalyst for Davids motivations and actions in Covenant. Prediction.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 09, 2017, 03:53:47 AM
Yeah, nothing condescending about those replies.

Again, from my position you're trying to make a bigger issue out of this than has been demonstrated. One reply that borders on joking doesn't make you the pariah you seem to think you are here. And as I have said several times in this thread - if you have an issue with someone's comment then report it.

People are entitled to like the film or dislike the film. Those people are entitled to make whatever statements they want regarding the film as long as they do so in a mature manner. You love Lindelof, awesome! Other people don't like Lindelof, just as awesome. I don't and I can tell you why without insulting you for liking him. I'd hope you're capable of doing the same.

As I've said though, take the Prometheus discussion to the Prometheus board and let's drop the subject here. I think I've put myself across quite clear with the matter.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Yeah, nothing condescending about those replies. I'm defensive because I am constantly being called upon to defend my point of view.
It's too bad you're upset, but you shouldn't be. This franchise is a train wreck, largely because it was not conceived as a franchise. It developed in a haphazard way with too many fingers in the pie. What we're getting in Covenant is Scott pressing the reset button, I think. Prometheus was supposed to be pressing the reset button, but there were problems with it. We'll have to wait to see what actually happens when new the movie comes out. It may have more Prometheus DNA than we know. Maybe it will even be a good movie. And it makes perfect sense for David to have a flashback scene with Weyland. Relevance TBD.

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2017, 08:59:00 AM

One reply that borders on joking doesn't make you the pariah you seem to think you are here.

In all honesty Corporal Hicks, it was meant as a light hearted comment and nothing more. Just a throw away post at the end of the night.

@Protozoid,

I agree with you, Prometheus was limited by its association with Alien and it has become a millstone critically around its neck ever since. And that's why the minute Fox and RS made up their minds to take their planned Alien prequel in a new creative direction, they should of bitten the bullet and made Prometheus an original Sci-fi movie, independent of the Alien franchise.

But I think you have to try and understand, the same annoyance you now have towards Covenant, is how many Alien fans felt towards Prometheus. They were sold the idea of an Alien prequel and ended up with a pseudo-prequel instead; full of retcon.

As for Covenant, I see it as a necessary bridge for them to try and correct the continuity issues Prometheus created between itself and Alien. At the end of the day, Prometheus, like it or not, was supposed to be an Alien prequel and has to reconnect narratively back to the original franchise. Fox and RS probably felt that Prometheus 2 was taking things further off reservation, as far as continuity was concerned; digging themselves a much bigger creative hole to write themselves out of; hence the new Alien bible.

By the way, what mystery is there really in regards to the black goo? - Its a bio-weapon that creates Xeno-like creatures, just like the mural in the ampule room; mystery solved.

Finally, associating a films commercial success with its quality is a silly argument to make. By that logic, Transformers is superior to Prometheus.

Anyway, as Corporal Hicks has requested a better debate for the Prometheus boards.

Hemi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2017, 08:59:00 AM

Again, from my position you're trying to make a bigger issue out of this than has been demonstrated. One reply that borders on joking doesn't make you the pariah you seem to think you are here. And as I have said several times in this thread - if you have an issue with someone's comment then report it.

People are entitled to like the film or dislike the film. Those people are entitled to make whatever statements they want regarding the film as long as they do so in a mature manner. You love Lindelof, awesome! Other people don't like Lindelof, just as awesome. I don't and I can tell you why without insulting you for liking him. I'd hope you're capable of doing the same.

As I've said though, take the Prometheus discussion to the Prometheus board and let's drop the subject here. I think I've put myself across quite clear with the matter.

Think we are going to have to get used to this Hicks...  :laugh:

PS : This is a light hearted joke btw. In case you IMDB fellas start to rage again...  :-*

windebieste

Ah, I wouldn't worry if I were you.  They're just trying to settle an argument.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed