Alien: Covenant 2 Already Written!

Started by Ingwar, Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant 2 Already Written! (Read 58,090 times)

Predaker

Predaker

That doesn't really read to me as Ridley saying he had to compromise his ideas to kotow to fans. We might have seen something closer to the original Alien in Prometheus if he felt audiences were up for that. At the time he felt it was played out, but now that he's seeing interest in the classical forms (egg, facehugger, chestburster, Alien) he seems just fine to have them featuring in Covenant.

"Not wholeheartedly" doesn't necessarily mean his own heart isn't in it. It could just be him saying this new film is about more than bringing back classic elements (There's a lot which is new as well he said.)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 06, 2017, 11:12:19 PM
A lot of big name directors have returned to their earlier movies - George Lucas, George Miller, Ridley Scott, Tim Burton, James Cameron..

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Mar 06, 2017, 08:52:47 PM
Quote from: Coy on Mar 06, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
It wouldn't make sense to have Ripley in these new movie when she never met the alien..so how can you tie that to an original Alien?? She's not gonna have any role in it unless it's Alien 5 or Alien3.2..however they wanna call it.

ripley doesnt exist yet.

Actually on ho its confirmed she was born in 2092, http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Ellen_Ripley
So while her character does exist I agree it would be out of place to force her character or even a relative of hers into the prequel series.

How is it more of out of place than retconning just to bring her character back, though?  I would much prefer a prequel Ripley than a retcon Ripley.

Ripley is 10 years old at the event of Covenant, Prometheus being set in 2092, and Covenant being ten years later 2102, her character doesn't dabble into the events of the series until Alien, her charcter as a little girl doesn't have a function that impacts the early part of the series or odds to the story, if she so did this would conflict with how she's present in the events of Alien. If another character is present in Covenant as being a relative many have sighted that the inclusion of "Ripley's Mother" comes across as contrived, very similar circumstances happen to Ripley's mother, Ripley herself, then her daughter Amanda.

Now the angle of being a movie set after Aliens may be considered a cop out "and fairly so" they wanted to follow on from the point when the Alien series was given the exciting renovating era of James Cameron's entry. Expanding upon all the potential this installment introduced, its the one the launched the series into a full fledged franchise, inspired numorous comics and various stories set at this particular setting.

Everything that came after such as Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection while having merits is where the series lost momentum, the closest attempt was Joss Whedons script for the earth set Alien Revelation which Sigourney Weaver refused becasue it was set on earth. Cameron and Ridley talked about venturing back to the Alien series, but Fox chose t pursue AVP for higher financial reasons. Though whether or not they make Blomkamp's mother, it'll either not be made and life will go on, or it will be made and you don't have to see it.

MajorB

MajorB

It's not like Prometheus failed and they immediately switched track to making an Alien movie. Ridley and Fox had been trying to crack the story for years as Prometheus 2, and it never came together. This is purely conjecture, but ultimately I think the creative reason why this became an Alien movie is because Prometheus failed in one huge aspect: pointing the franchise away from Alien in the first place. This is because the black goo makes Xenomorphs, they are inextricably intertwined with whatever the Engineers' plans for humanity were. The movie ends with Shaw heading to the Engineer homeworld with a ship filled with Xenomorph juice... there's not very many ways that story goes without the overall result that we've seen in the Covenant trailers. Whatever a sequel to Prometheus would have been, it would have been more difficult to work around the Xenos than to just utilize them, and once you've done that you have an Alien movie. I say this as a person who loved Prometheus to bits and is very disappointed that the Prometheusness of Covenant will apparently be negligible.

So I think that ultimately it made sense for this to become an Alien movie, and I don't think Ridley is a hack for changing his course.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Great news imo. Gives Ridley and co to fine tune it rather than scrambling for rewrites to meet production deadlines

shawsbaby

Quote from: MajorB on Mar 07, 2017, 12:17:53 AM
It's not like Prometheus failed and they immediately switched track to making an Alien movie. Ridley and Fox had been trying to crack the story for years as Prometheus 2, and it never came together. This is purely conjecture, but ultimately I think the creative reason why this became an Alien movie is because Prometheus failed in one huge aspect: pointing the franchise away from Alien in the first place. This is because the black goo makes Xenomorphs, they are inextricably intertwined with whatever the Engineers' plans for humanity were. The movie ends with Shaw heading to the Engineer homeworld with a ship filled with Xenomorph juice... there's not very many ways that story goes without the overall result that we've seen in the Covenant trailers. Whatever a sequel to Prometheus would have been, it would have been more difficult to work around the Xenos than to just utilize them, and once you've done that you have an Alien movie. I say this as a person who loved Prometheus to bits and is very disappointed that the Prometheusness of Covenant will apparently be negligible.

So I think that ultimately it made sense for this to become an Alien movie, and I don't think Ridley is a hack for changing his course.

Very well-said.

Prez

Prez

There are quite a bit of interesting points in this news. Very interesting indeed.

Intrigued.

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

Scott is an animal... a beast! A STAR BEAST!

I was watching an interview with him from '79 and he hasn't changed a bit. I think when he was delivered his first expression was that frowned, quizzical raised eyebrow.

DorkiDori

i really hope we get script leaks of "Prometheus 2" vs Alien Covenant after the movie is out (much like Alien: Engineers vs Prometheus). im REALLY curious what the original version of the story was like when it was more "Prometheus" focused.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: MajorB on Mar 07, 2017, 12:17:53 AM

Bingo. I think a lot of people were expecting a movie with a serious chronicles of riddick flavor lol.

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: DorkiDori on Mar 07, 2017, 02:06:04 AM
i really hope we get script leaks of "Prometheus 2" vs Alien Covenant after the movie is out (much like Alien: Engineers vs Prometheus). im REALLY curious what the original version of the story was like when it was more "Prometheus" focused.

Seeing both the Jack Paglen and Michael Green scripts would be cool.

Ultramorph

Wasn't the exact same thing said right after Prometheus?

echobbase79

Who's writing this? I hope its Michael Green because he did a good job with Logan.

whiterabbit

I was just thinking about it for a second but if Scott takes enough shots at it, he'll eventually hit one out of the park. An Alien movie will win a best picture oscar! Just think about that for a second. :P

8th_passenger

8th_passenger

Riddles is a f**king machine.

I was surprised in the Wayne Haag interview when he said Ridley was keen on returning to Australia to film the sequels.

Ridley likes to make different films, especially at this point in his life, so him directing the sequels just shows how committed he is to this franchise. I think he just hasn't found the right director to pass the torch yet. Denis Villeneuve would be a strong candidate but I don't think he has any interest in following Ridley's footsteps yet again.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 06, 2017, 10:59:03 PM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on Mar 06, 2017, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 06, 2017, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PMWhat we did really well on Prometheus, considering that it was a ground zero idea that was starting all over again, was I discovered that people do have an appetite for the alien and what he means and his evolution – the egg, the facehugger, the chestburster as we call them.

People still want to see it. So I return to a little bit of that but not wholeheartedly; there's a lot in here which is new as well.

This was implicitly obvious before, but it's worth taking a moment to absorb now that Scott has articulated it. For a moment I was surprised to read Scott appearing to criticize Covenant before it was even released, but Fox had it coming if they forced his hand. He doesn't ever say that there is a good story reason for the change in direction. It was changed due to audience demand, which is not the best way to decide story. I'm doing my best to embrace this new movie, but we aren't getting the movie that Scott wanted to make, and that's a crime against science fiction, right there. Critics are going to notice Fox backpedaling on the Prometheus franchise. The fact that Prometheus was fresh made them cautiously optimistic for the return of the franchise. I think Covenant is going to split them, with many critics registering disappointment that Fox killed their most promising science fiction property in order to promote their most tired one.

Prometheus wasn't their most promising property though, was it. Otherwise this would be Prometheus 2. I firmly believe Neil Blomkamp's concept art for Aliens 2 reignited Fox's and subsequently Ridley Scott's interest in Alien.

I say we let the cinema going audience dictate whether Alien is "tired" out.
Blomkamp cheekily pitched an Alien movie while Ridley Scott was trying to get a trilogy made. Blomkamp was coming close to wrestling the franchise away from Scott, which basically represents fan fiction becoming canon, or inmates running the asylum. I don't think it reignited Scott's interest in Alien, because his interest had never diminished. He always wanted to direct Alien 2. If Fox and Alien fans showed interest in Alien 5 and that interest impacted the development of Prometheus 2, that can only be a bad thing artistically. Scott sold out in order to prevent his trilogy from going unfulfilled while some hack kid filmmaker makes fan-fiction with his ideas.

Audiences have continued to pour money into tired franchises, so that is no evidence of anything. What we are talking about is what James Cameron was talking about. This movie is consciously repeating itself to be safe. That's a sad thing for an artist pushing 80 to feel forced into doing. He has a limited number of movies he can make, and we just traded Prometheus 2 for a flipper baby movie combining two franchises that were never meant to be connected. Remember AvP? That's basically what this is: Alien versus Prometheus. Whoever wins, we lose.

Scott was/is producing Alien 3.2. He was never in danger of having the franchise taken away from him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed