Alien: Covenant 2 Already Written!

Started by Ingwar, Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant 2 Already Written! (Read 58,084 times)

fiveways

Just leave Ripley out.  You don't ever need her in the prequel.  It'll just look like Princess Leia or Tarkin in Rogue One. 

motherfather

motherfather

I don't "want" to bring back Ripley, but it has been discussed on this thread, and there were those Ripley/Ripley's daughter rumours even for covenant, plus a cameo by Sigourney the actress (not neccessarily as Ripley) is always a possibility.

In fact I wouldn't even want Shaw back - whether it was Noomi's acting or the poor script she had to work with, I wasn't that invested in Shaw and I'd really struggle to find myself rooting for her.

I do want a  non-android human lead character that I can root for across several franchise movies though. And therein lies the problem. As soon as you do that, the default character bio is: movie 1, slightly soft character is tested to their limits, movie 2 is character toughens up, movie 3 character continues/finishes their personal quest etc...

The Crusher

I'm seriously against Sigourney weaver reappearing into the franchise again, she made her decision as an actor to kill Ripley off because she was tired of playing that role, and look at the effect it had on alien 3. She somehow decides to reappear in resurrection which was a very poor film. She's too much of a gamble.

fiveways

Quote from: motherfather on Mar 06, 2017, 05:36:59 PM
I don't "want" to bring back Ripley, but it has been discussed on this thread, and there were those Ripley/Ripley's daughter rumours even for covenant, plus a cameo by Sigourney the actress (not neccessarily as Ripley) is always a possibility.

In fact I wouldn't even want Shaw back - whether it was Noomi's acting or the poor script she had to work with, I wasn't that invested in Shaw and I'd really struggle to find myself rooting for her.

I do want a  non-android human lead character that I can root for across several franchise movies though. And therein lies the problem. As soon as you do that, the default character bio is: movie 1, slightly soft character is tested to their limits, movie 2 is character toughens up, movie 3 character continues/finishes their personal quest etc...

Spoiler
while I might not root for shaw, she deserves an onscreen death bare minimum.  Flashback death devalues Prometheus even more as it is simply writing it out.  They felt a movie was important enough to tell her story they can find the time to kill her on camera.  Plus, I am way more interested in what happens to make shaw thing re-attaching David's head is a good idea than anything in Covanent
[close]

You could start with a tough character and break them.  that is the alternative.  As the universe opens to them they unwind more and more.  More a lovecraftian story than anything else.  Just, those movies don't typically make money.  The idea is that most people need strong characters and humans to relate to the film.  they need to watch a character grow and evolve or overcome and be victorious.  This is why Godzilla gets 7 minutes of screen time in his movie. 

The best idea might be to have a crew survive so you can have their group dynamic grow and change over the course of the films.  You can spend time getting to know all of them instead of only the strong survives type writing.  You can shift focus around and not just have one top star, you can move that mantle around and keep it interesting.

Ingwar

Ingwar

That interview was done at the end of 2016. Scott said that he'll be ready to go again next year which referred to ... 2017.

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 06, 2017, 06:18:42 PM
That interview was done at the end of 2016. Scott said that he'll be ready to go again next year which referred to ... 2017.

It's likely he could have been referring to the year after Covenant releases. And again, he's doing Wraiths Of The Broken Land this year.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 06, 2017, 04:53:00 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 08:09:00 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Mar 05, 2017, 08:05:03 PM
Does that mean the next movie will come in about 3 years?

Hard to say. Scott wants to make western Wraiths of the Broken Land after Covenant or maybe he changed his mind.

From what I've been able to figure out so far he's now doing The Cartel next. Apparently the location scouting he did earlier this year in Spain was for that and not Wraiths as I initially assumed. Not 100% certain yet though. Maybe Goddard is still busy polishing Wraiths script.  :-\

I'm really looking forward to see Wraiths made by Scott. But when? If Scott is planning to do Covenant 2 next then probably I have to wait :)

Anthony

Anthony

Scott has attached himself to several projects that either never happened or weren't directed by him. Remember when he was going to direct Blade Runner 2049, The Color Of Lightning, Dune, The Forever War, Wool and Monopoly?

So it's likely that he could drop The Cartel or do it after Covenant 2. And he still has the adaptation of The Prisoner that he's supposedly attached to as well.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 06, 2017, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PMWhat we did really well on Prometheus, considering that it was a ground zero idea that was starting all over again, was I discovered that people do have an appetite for the alien and what he means and his evolution – the egg, the facehugger, the chestburster as we call them.

People still want to see it. So I return to a little bit of that but not wholeheartedly; there's a lot in here which is new as well.

This was implicitly obvious before, but it's worth taking a moment to absorb now that Scott has articulated it. For a moment I was surprised to read Scott appearing to criticize Covenant before it was even released, but Fox had it coming if they forced his hand. He doesn't ever say that there is a good story reason for the change in direction. It was changed due to audience demand, which is not the best way to decide story. I'm doing my best to embrace this new movie, but we aren't getting the movie that Scott wanted to make, and that's a crime against science fiction, right there. Critics are going to notice Fox backpedaling on the Prometheus franchise. The fact that Prometheus was fresh made them cautiously optimistic for the return of the franchise. I think Covenant is going to split them, with many critics registering disappointment that Fox killed their most promising science fiction property in order to promote their most tired one.

Prometheus wasn't their most promising property though, was it. Otherwise this would be Prometheus 2. I firmly believe Neil Blomkamp's concept art for Aliens 2 reignited Fox's and subsequently Ridley Scott's interest in Alien.

I say we let the cinema going audience dictate whether Alien is "tired" out.

Coy

Coy

It wouldn't make sense to have Ripley in these new movie when she never met the alien..so how can you tie that to an original Alien?? She's not gonna have any role in it unless it's Alien 5 or Alien3.2..however they wanna call it.

ripley doesnt exist yet.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: Coy on Mar 06, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
It wouldn't make sense to have Ripley in these new movie when she never met the alien..so how can you tie that to an original Alien?? She's not gonna have any role in it unless it's Alien 5 or Alien3.2..however they wanna call it.

ripley doesnt exist yet.

Actually on ho its confirmed she was born in 2092, http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Ellen_Ripley
So while her character does exist I agree it would be out of place to force her character or even a relative of hers into the prequel series.

echobbase79

Quote from: harlequinade on Mar 06, 2017, 04:47:30 PM
Quote from: Enoch on Mar 06, 2017, 12:26:19 PM
Quote from: harlequinade on Mar 06, 2017, 11:45:20 AM
Quote from: Enoch on Mar 05, 2017, 09:26:27 PM
LOGAN - R rated movie

Total gross
Box office   $237.8 million
Retrieved March 5

!!!

No way Covenant gets anywhere Logan's Box Office, Logan got stellar reviews Covenant won't. Also it's Marvel and the marketing was spectacular with Covenant if you saw the trailer you pretty much saw the movie

How do you know that?

QuoteWith Covenant if you saw the trailer you pretty much saw the movie
Completely disagree with this. Tell me what is the movie central plot, please?

I read the plot. It's a rehash of Alien with Aliens and Prometheus elements being thrown in. I'd love for the movie to be good but Ridley was overpraised as it is for The Martian and even that didn't get Logan's kind of reviews. Prometheus was a big deal, people were excited because Ridley was back to making a movie in Alien franchise. And then they went to see it...I think it may not even reach Prometheus' numbers.

I don't mind this so much. These movies are formulaic to a point.

In a sequel you always give them the same, but something different. I think Ridley will do a good job of combining the two. I don't think it will be as good as the first two films, but hopefully tell a story that's effective and can stand on its own.

Stolen

Stolen

How can you judge a movie on a leak plot?

Seriously, if you read the plot of Alien, it would be almost a joke for everyone. Just a slasher movie.

But Alien is my favorite movie because everything is incredible (artistic direction, rhythm, actors, directing, metaphor, symbols, levels of reading ...). Ridley can tell many things with a simple script.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Mar 06, 2017, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Mar 06, 2017, 05:07:18 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PMWhat we did really well on Prometheus, considering that it was a ground zero idea that was starting all over again, was I discovered that people do have an appetite for the alien and what he means and his evolution – the egg, the facehugger, the chestburster as we call them.

People still want to see it. So I return to a little bit of that but not wholeheartedly; there's a lot in here which is new as well.

This was implicitly obvious before, but it's worth taking a moment to absorb now that Scott has articulated it. For a moment I was surprised to read Scott appearing to criticize Covenant before it was even released, but Fox had it coming if they forced his hand. He doesn't ever say that there is a good story reason for the change in direction. It was changed due to audience demand, which is not the best way to decide story. I'm doing my best to embrace this new movie, but we aren't getting the movie that Scott wanted to make, and that's a crime against science fiction, right there. Critics are going to notice Fox backpedaling on the Prometheus franchise. The fact that Prometheus was fresh made them cautiously optimistic for the return of the franchise. I think Covenant is going to split them, with many critics registering disappointment that Fox killed their most promising science fiction property in order to promote their most tired one.

Prometheus wasn't their most promising property though, was it. Otherwise this would be Prometheus 2. I firmly believe Neil Blomkamp's concept art for Aliens 2 reignited Fox's and subsequently Ridley Scott's interest in Alien.

I say we let the cinema going audience dictate whether Alien is "tired" out.
Blomkamp cheekily pitched an Alien movie while Ridley Scott was trying to get a trilogy made. Blomkamp was coming close to wrestling the franchise away from Scott, which basically represents fan fiction becoming canon, or inmates running the asylum. I don't think it reignited Scott's interest in Alien, because his interest had never diminished. He always wanted to direct Alien 2. If Fox and Alien fans showed interest in Alien 5 and that interest impacted the development of Prometheus 2, that can only be a bad thing artistically. Scott sold out in order to prevent his trilogy from going unfulfilled while some hack kid filmmaker makes fan-fiction with his ideas.

Audiences have continued to pour money into tired franchises, so that is no evidence of anything. What we are talking about is what James Cameron was talking about. This movie is consciously repeating itself to be safe. That's a sad thing for an artist pushing 80 to feel forced into doing. He has a limited number of movies he can make, and we just traded Prometheus 2 for a flipper baby movie combining two franchises that were never meant to be connected. Remember AvP? That's basically what this is: Alien versus Prometheus. Whoever wins, we lose.

Scorpio

Scorpio

A lot of big name directors have returned to their earlier movies - George Lucas, George Miller, Ridley Scott, Tim Burton, James Cameron..

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Mar 06, 2017, 08:52:47 PM
Quote from: Coy on Mar 06, 2017, 07:52:38 PM

ripley doesnt exist yet.

Actually on ho its confirmed she was born in 2092, http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Ellen_Ripley
So while her character does exist I agree it would be out of place to force her character or even a relative of hers into the prequel series.

How is it more of out of place than retconning just to bring her character back, though?  I would much prefer a prequel Ripley than a retcon Ripley.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed