Engineers and Predators...any evidence of contact?

Started by Wethepeople, Mar 03, 2017, 09:44:25 PM

Author
Engineers and Predators...any evidence of contact? (Read 7,053 times)

Wethepeople

Wethepeople

With the depth of knowledge available in the this forum could I ask a quick questions...?

Is there any 'canon' that suggests contact between the Engineers and the Predators?

They seem to exist in the same part of the universe at the same time, and yet the Engineers don't seem too displeased at Predators having interacted with their 'children' for generations now, even allowing xeno's to be bred on earth for their sport.

Nor have I spotted any large human heads in a pred's trophy case.

This made me think that perhaps the Engineers no longer exist as a species...and haven't done for millennia.

Could their home world have been wiped out by a xeno infestation two millennia ago, caused by a jugg bringing back a cargo hold full of them from 223...or some other catastrophe?

I appreciate that Covenant may answer at least a part of this question soon, but what do you thinks the answer before any big reveal?

SM

The Fire & Stone comics indicate Predators are aware of the Engineers having some across similar imagery to what Shaw & Holloway found.

Wethepeople

Thanks for that SM.

...but no direct contact though?

Seems unlikely that living so close together in terms of space travel time (predator homeworld to earth in a day or so in Requiem) that the two wouldn't have rubbed shoulders at some point, especially if the Covenant rumours are correct that Paradise is accessible to earth ships within a very short time from launch.

And preds have been using interstellar space travel for at least four hundred years...

Why are these Engineers hiding if they aren't extinct?

SM

There's direct contact the end of Fire & Stone.  Not sure about before that.

Wethepeople

Thanks for this...will check this out first thing!

Cheers...

The Alien Predator

The reason Wolf got to Earth from wherever he was in a day or so is due to their very advanced ships and also due to
Spoiler
dropholes which are essentially teleportation jump gates that allow instant space travel. They're introduced in the Rage War novels and humans construct their own while Predators have better versions.
[close]

There has been contact in the Fire and Stone series, a Predator has been hunting other Engineer "children" across the cosmos.

And then he becomes obsessed with finding one and eventually does and an epic fight ensues.

Then another encounter happens in the Life and Death comic series.

Also, in AvP: Requiem some people noted a helmet in the trophy case that resembles a Space Jockey/Engineer flight helmet. Predators sometimes take technology and other things the prey wears as a trophy as well as their skulls and spines, so it's not out of the question for some of them to claim an Engineer's helmet.

Wethepeople

Super post The Alien Predator.

Thank for taking the time to respond so fully.

Greatly appreciated.

Off to watch requiem again...

SrSpinelli

Quote from: Wethepeople on Mar 03, 2017, 09:44:25 PM
With the depth of knowledge available in the this forum could I ask a quick questions...?

Is there any 'canon' that suggests contact between the Engineers and the Predators?

They seem to exist in the same part of the universe at the same time, and yet the Engineers don't seem too displeased at Predators having interacted with their 'children' for generations now, even allowing xeno's to be bred on earth for their sport.

Nor have I spotted any large human heads in a pred's trophy case.

This made me think that perhaps the Engineers no longer exist as a species...and haven't done for millennia.

Could their home world have been wiped out by a xeno infestation two millennia ago, caused by a jugg bringing back a cargo hold full of them from 223...or some other catastrophe?

I appreciate that Covenant may answer at least a part of this question soon, but what do you thinks the answer before any big reveal?
That question is rather simple to answer.
AvP is not canon and Ridley hates it.

Wethepeople

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Mar 04, 2017, 11:03:25 AM

Hello SrSpinelli :)

If not 'canon' can we assume then the predators don't co-exist in the same universe as the Engineers, and therefore no contact is possible?

And although Ridley Scott (whose movies I thoroughly enjoy) may hate it, as a Director, and not one of the writers, do his views count on movies imagined by others (just asking)?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Wethepeople on Mar 04, 2017, 10:42:36 AM

Greatly appreciated.

No worries, I'm glad to have helped a fellow fan out.

Here's when Ahab finally finds his prize! You see the size differences (Ahab is actually quite short for a Predator as we find out in Life and Death, the other Predators tower over the poor guy.  :P)

I wouldn't be too worried about what is canon and not canon. You make your own canon and enjoy it just the way you like to. Some people enjoy Alien and Predator separately while others (like myself) enjoy them together.

And whether a director's views count on a movie really depends.

Robert Rodriguez called his Super Predators "Super" and "Better" but this wasn't shown on screen. All we see are ordinary Predators just using different hunting tactics and behavioural customs. Nothing was shown to make them "Super" to be honest.

So it depends on what is shown on screen rather than what a director says.

Ridley could say there's no Predators in the Alien universe, but ultimately that won't stop Fox from making more AvP materials as they're the ones who own the franchise, not him.

Fox recently said that what is "canon" are the movies, new novels (the Titan novels and Rage War), Weyland Yutani Report and the current comic series like Life and Death, Fire and Stone, Aliens Defiance and Dead Orbit etc. According to an interview with Tim Lebbon who wrote the Rage War novels and Alien Out of the Shadows.

Engineers show up in River of Pain as corpses in the Derelict. Predators show up in Rage War.

So in the "current canon", they both co-exist if we go by what Tim Lebbon was told by Fox, the owners of the franchise. But even they change their minds on what is canon. They once said Colonial Marines was canon but after it did bad, they sorta forgot about it.

So that's why I said don't worry about what anyone says is canon or not canon. You make your own canon and enjoy it for yourself.  ;)

SrSpinelli

SrSpinelli

Quote from: Wethepeople on Mar 04, 2017, 11:17:40 AM
Quote from: SrSpinelli on Mar 04, 2017, 11:03:25 AM

Hello SrSpinelli :)

If not 'canon' can we assume then the predators don't co-exist in the same universe as the Engineers, and therefore no contact is possible?

And although Ridley Scott (whose movies I thoroughly enjoy) may hate it, as a Director, and not one of the writers, do his views count on movies imagined by others (just asking)?
We don't know if they exist in the same universe, but all events from AvP are just considered non-canon spinoffs.
The only canon media from both franchises are: Prometheus, Covenant, (Covenant sequel), Alien, Alien Isolation, Alien Isolation Prequel comic, Predator, Predator 2, Predators( and probaly Predator: 1718)
While we do not know if they all exist in the same Universe, the AvP movies and games wouldn't be able to happen because they would mess the Alien timeline.
Alien 3 and Alien Rez weren't mentioned because of the possiblity of a reboot that happens after Aliens.

Sorry if i made any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.

marrerom

marrerom

If you want to go with established Canon then just go by what the film's show. There is a lot of interest being put into the newly made eu comics and games because they are now making more of an effort to fit in with the film's but  I wouldn't put any stock in it. Fox has realised that the fan base will ignore anything that's not Canon so the new marketing gimmick is to call everything "Canon". Aliens colonial marines is the perfect example. The truth is that the film's are in no way beholden to the eu. Until that changes the eu is irrelevant.

With that being said the most direct evidence of predator and engineer contact is the spacejocky mask on the trophy case in AvP-R.

Wethepeople

Wethepeople

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Mar 04, 2017, 12:38:35 PM
Quote from: Wethepeople on Mar 04, 2017, 10:42:36 AM

Greatly appreciated.

No worries, I'm glad to have helped a fellow fan out.

Here's when Ahab finally finds his prize! You see the size differences (Ahab is actually quite short for a Predator as we find out in Life and Death, the other Predators tower over the poor guy.  :P)

I wouldn't be too worried about what is canon and not canon. You make your own canon and enjoy it just the way you like to. Some people enjoy Alien and Predator separately while others (like myself) enjoy them together.

And whether a director's views count on a movie really depends.

Robert Rodriguez called his Super Predators "Super" and "Better" but this wasn't shown on screen. All we see are ordinary Predators just using different hunting tactics and behavioural customs. Nothing was shown to make them "Super" to be honest.

So it depends on what is shown on screen rather than what a director says.

Ridley could say there's no Predators in the Alien universe, but ultimately that won't stop Fox from making more AvP materials as they're the ones who own the franchise, not him.

Fox recently said that what is "canon" are the movies, new novels (the Titan novels and Rage War), Weyland Yutani Report and the current comic series like Life and Death, Fire and Stone, Aliens Defiance and Dead Orbit etc. According to an interview with Tim Lebbon who wrote the Rage War novels and Alien Out of the Shadows.

Engineers show up in River of Pain as corpses in the Derelict. Predators show up in Rage War.

So in the "current canon", they both co-exist if we go by what Tim Lebbon was told by Fox, the owners of the franchise. But even they change their minds on what is canon. They once said Colonial Marines was canon but after it did bad, they sorta forgot about it.

So that's why I said don't worry about what anyone says is canon or not canon. You make your own canon and enjoy it for yourself.  ;)

Your knowledge is very impressive and you're reasoning sound...once again thanks for pointing me in the direction of what is (and isn't) considered canon.

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2017, 03:36:27 PM
If you want to go with established Canon then just go by what the film's show. There is a lot of interest being put into the newly made eu comics and games because they are now making more of an effort to fit in with the film's but  I wouldn't put any stock in it. Fox has realised that the fan base will ignore anything that's not Canon so the new marketing gimmick is to call everything "Canon". Aliens colonial marines is the perfect example. The truth is that the film's are in no way beholden to the eu. Until that changes the eu is irrelevant.

With that being said the most direct evidence of predator and engineer contact is the spacejocky mask on the trophy case in AvP-R.

Hello Marrerom...much obliged for the comment.

Need to dust off that copy of Requiem and scan for the mask...cheers

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Mar 04, 2017, 02:27:02 PM
We don't know if they exist in the same universe, but all events from AvP are just considered non-canon spinoffs.
The only canon media from both franchises are: Prometheus, Covenant, (Covenant sequel), Alien, Alien Isolation, Alien Isolation Prequel comic, Predator, Predator 2, Predators( and probaly Predator: 1718)
While we do not know if they all exist in the same Universe, the AvP movies and games wouldn't be able to happen because they would mess the Alien timeline.
Alien 3 and Alien Rez weren't mentioned because of the possiblity of a reboot that happens after Aliens.
Sorry if i made any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.
SrSpinelli your written English is at least the match of mine...first class explanation...I now consider myself much better informed for your input...thank you!

The Alien Predator

Here you go, Wethepeople, the trophy from Requiem.

On the right side, the upper row there's a helmet looking trophy whereas everything else are skulls. That's the Engineer's helmet.

Wethepeople

Yes :o

I see it now...slam dunk...elephant trunk and all...thanks again!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed