This is why Prometheus is a great Sci-Fi film

Started by The_Foxcatcher, Mar 02, 2017, 11:09:50 AM

Author
This is why Prometheus is a great Sci-Fi film (Read 14,756 times)

bb-15

Quote from: Russ840 on May 08, 2017, 10:30:56 AM
I enjoyed Guardians 2.

Good to know. I'll be seeing it in about 3 hours. 

Are you not a Marvel fan?

I see all the MCU movies. (I need to because they are all related.)
I like Iron Man a lot.
But I might have waited a couple of weeks or more before seeing Guardians 2.
My son however, is a huge Marvel fan so, we are making it happen today.   

Agreed on the big screen and sound being a great edition to the experience.

Definitely helps with horror. I remember seeing "Aliens" in a theater at release close to the screen. I was with a friend and we both got freaked a lot. 

Yes, England is where I am. We do temd to get a lot of films earlier than you guys. The ones i want to watch anyway.

Lucky you and to the UK. ;)

I really do hope that Covenant strengthens Prometheus for me. I think it will.

Hope you enjoy it when you get to see it dude.

Thanks, same to you.
I'm really looking forward to AC.

;)

P-Rock

P-Rock

Prometheus is a great popcorn flick, but intellectual? Hell no. Everything is extremely simplified. Even Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had a more intellectual plot than Prometheus. It does nothing with all the big questions it raises (and they aren't very big to begin with) and it refuses to answer them. Shaw holding up a DNA card and matching it with the Engineers is considered intellectual? I dare you to watch a real intellectual movie, like Stalker, Solyaris, Cosmopolis and A Dangerous Method. Your head will explode like the dead engineer's.

PierreVW

Prometheus is a masterpiece to me.

Actually, PROMETHEUS(3D) and THE MARTIAN(3D) are My Favorites Science Fictions of the Last 30 Years.

Ingwar

Masterpiece? Jesus.

bleau

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 28, 2017, 08:56:27 PM
Masterpiece? Jesus.

I'm assuming you did not like it.
Now I'm not saying it's perfect film. It does have some problems, but for me I can overlook that and the fan edits really do make it a better film overall to me.

A vary few it seems, including me, do regard it as a Masterpiece. IMO, I think Prometheus will be held in higher regard in time. It seemed vary original story wise, has great concepts. I really love the score, music, cinematography, effects.  Characters were great too imo. I really only disliked a couple and that was Holloway and Weyland. I hated the way Weyland was such a Nihilist. I love the fact Guy Pierce played him though and he did a fantastic job. Have you seen the TED Talk viral with Guy Pierce. He was intimidating as hell in that to me. He portrayed a rich, intelligent and powerful man vary well. Guy rocks. I highly recommend the Fan edit on this site. It has almost all the deleted scenes in it and it also has the Virals in it too. Way better then the theatrical cut. Well I could go on and on for pages about why I loved it. Care to explain why you don't like it?

Alionic

Masterpiece? Jesus.

Everyone hated 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, and Predator when they came out, and look at how they're perceived now.

With Prometheus, I would have included the deleted scene of Milburn becoming ecstatic after finding those worms, though.

SM

Getting mixed reviews doesn't mean 'everyone hated them'.

Scorpio

Quote from: bleau on Aug 28, 2017, 09:31:43 PM
I highly recommend the Fan edit on this site. It has almost all the deleted scenes in it and it also has the Virals in it too. Way better then the theatrical cut.

Ruins the pacing for me.  The theatrical cut is better.  I'd rather watch the virals and deleted scenes as extras.

Ingwar

Quote from: bleau on Aug 28, 2017, 09:31:43 PM
Masterpiece? Jesus.

I'm assuming you did not like it.

I like Prometheus but calling it a masterpiece is ... I don't know what to say.

Predaker

It would take some black goo tinted glasses to view Prometheus as a masterpiece.

PierreVW

Prometheus was a very, very beautiful film.

I worked as D.P. and Photographer so I love Visuals over anything else.

By my parameters, Prometheus is a Masterpiece in Terms of Visuals, D.P. and Cinematography.

Ingwar

Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 29, 2017, 09:56:14 PM
Prometheus was a very, very beautiful film.

I worked as D.P. and Photographer so I love Visuals over anything else.

By my parameters, Prometheus is a Masterpiece in Terms of Visuals, D.P. and Cinematography.

It's beautifully looking movie but it doesn't make it masterpiece. Visuals are not everything. Movie is about characters and plot ... storytelling if you prefer.

SM

If you have a very specific and unique definition of masterpiece, then it's a masterpiece...

Ingwar

Quote from: SM on Aug 29, 2017, 11:19:50 PM
If you have a very specific and unique definition of masterpiece, then it's a masterpiece...

There is nothing specific and unique about visuals as part of a movie. Masterpiece (regarding films) is considers as something more than that. Movie is not a painting.

Scorpio

Mona Lisa is a very boring painting, I've seen better on deviantart.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed