Alien: Covenant Set Reports *Spoilers

Started by Anthony, Mar 01, 2017, 02:09:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Set Reports *Spoilers (Read 45,274 times)

CainsSon

Quote from: Evanus on Mar 05, 2017, 05:04:49 PM
The Hall of Heads sounds really cool. Sadly, we'll probably learn nothing about it. It's frustrating, because they could've done something really epic with that and the whole engineer citadel. Instead, they focus on David and his experiments.  :-\

I dunno if this was posted on here yet but there are now Parts 2 and 3 added to the extensive JoeBlo.com set visits.
In Part 3 Ridley Scott talks more about the Citadel and Hall of Heads.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/alien-covenant-set-visit-3-ridley-scott-billy-crudup-demian-bichir-540

Links to Part 2 (and of course, Part 1) are on the bottom of the page.

ReluctantNerd

In reference to my earlier post (can't figure out how to quote!), yeah I also think Ridley means the usual suspect when he talks about who created what...

And I don't know in which topic my following remark belongs, it's just an observation on a common misconception so I'll put it here: the remains of the people of Pompeii were not found as we know them, they are plaster casts of hollows found in the volcanic debris (which formed after the flesh decomposed, leaving only bones in the hollows). The engineer remains in Covenant are obviously based on them and in story the cause is probably something entirely different so that's fine, I just hope some character doesn't do a Prometheus and says something like "My god, they're petrified. Just like Pompeii!" when they discover them  :laugh:

rabidranger

Quote from: ReluctantNerd on Mar 05, 2017, 06:48:01 PM
In reference to my earlier post (can't figure out how to quote!), yeah I also think Ridley means the usual suspect when he talks about who created what...

And I don't know in which topic my following remark belongs, it's just an observation on a common misconception so I'll put it here: the remains of the people of Pompeii were not found as we know them, they are plaster casts of hollows found in the volcanic debris (which formed after the flesh decomposed, leaving only bones in the hollows). The engineer remains in Covenant are obviously based on them and in story the cause is probably something entirely different so that's fine, I just hope some character doesn't do a Prometheus and says something like "My god, they're petrified. Just like Pompeii!" when they discover them  :laugh:

It seems to me that Scott is riffing on what happened at Pompeii in the sense that what befell this particular civilization was sudden and catastrophic (such as David doing a fly by with the black goo). Perhaps this is also meant to demonstrate what would happened to earth if the Engineer from Prometheus would have succeeded in his mission.

Enoch

Enoch

Those petrified bodies in all those positions reminded me of painting of famous
Belgian painter Jean Delville from symbolism movement.

L'Homme-Dieu, ("Man-God", 1903)
oil on canvas, 500 x 500 cm. Bruges: Groeningemuseum.

There is also a similarity with Auguste Rodin's Gates of Hell

P.S. I dont believe they were petrified as a result of black goo attack... The goo do not possess such effects.
It was some ray/laser... kind of weapon...

Stolen

So the Citadel and Hall of Heads are two different things ? This movie is going to be crazy!

Corporal Hicks

I think the Hall is inside the Citadel.

Stolen

Perfect ! I want to see new things in this universe. Covenant seems to offer us a stunning new place!

Enoch

Enoch

Quote*CYPRESS is a symbol of the Lord of the Underworld. The cypress was first planted in cemeteries, due to a folk belief that it had the power to preserve the body from corruption. Today it is common to see cypress trees growing in a cemetery, particularly in Italy,
The cypress tree is also associated with the Watchers or Grigori, and is a guardian tree. Because of its tall straight nature the cypress was
often used as the tree for the Maypole, and was sacred to Maia, the May goddess. Cypress was believed to preserve the dead body from corruption.
In the ancient Aegean/Mediterranean region the cypress was sacred to Zeus, Apollo, Venus, and Hermes. In occult imagery the cypress is sometimes pictured in art with the sun and moon on either side, symbolizing the cypress as the balance of polarity. Interestingly Swiss painter A. Bocklin used cypress as a symbol in many of his images. This plant occupied the central part of his most famous painting Isle of the Dead.

This shrine is perhaps some kind of burial or sacrificial place to to higher gods; The following fact could support this claim -  on the top of the large shrine dome we can clearly see the opening or the oculus similar to that on Roman Parthenon. The Oculus had more reason to it than one of simple lighting. This hole in the ceiling is used for planetary observations or as a sun-dial. Advanced race would never have built such an obsolete sacral building. Instead this "primitive" shrine is dedicated to some divine presence way above the civilization presented in the movie.

Interestingly the shape of the spherical dome resembles the shape of an eye (cornea).

And golden rays. :)

I know this is a bit far fetched but it was interesting.

P.S. Note the two grand pillars, the left one is broken but nevertheless...

Corporal Hicks

http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18510881.html?page=3

New still (full version of cropped one seen in some other reports).

HuDaFuK

Getting a bit of an Aliens vibe from the shoulder-mounted camera.

Necronomicon II

Yep, I'm loving that.

Corporal Hicks

http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18511017.html

QuoteFILMSTARTS: You're more familiar with your comedic roles. How does it look at "Alien: Covenant"?

Danny McBride: "Covenant" is definitely not a very funny movie, so I can say for sure. When I got the role, all my friends blasphemed me that I'll end up just for the funny loosening, but there is not much to laugh in "Covenant", just a bunch of people muttered. (Laughs)

FILMSTARTS: Do you have a little Meet & Greet with the title-giving creature in the movie?

Danny McBride: Oh yeah, I meet some of those in the film. The first thing I did when I went to Sydney was to visit the Creature Shop at 20th Century Fox Studios. It was the madness that must be the coolest job in the world, to think up something and actually to implement it. In addition to the creatures, it was also very exciting to see live copies of your colleagues with mutilated faces. (Laughs)

FILMSTARTS: How did you prepare for the role as a pilot?

Danny McBride: When I met Ridley to discuss my part, he told me that Tennessee was a tribute to Slim Pickens' Major Kong from Stanley Kubrick's " Dr. Strange Or: How I Learned, To love the bomb ". I watched the movie again.

Necronomicon II

Nice find, I think he's definitely going to come into his own with this role.

Ingwar

Major Kong from Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed