Not Interested In Anything

Started by overthere, Feb 27, 2017, 01:30:35 AM

Author
Not Interested In Anything (Read 1,635 times)

overthere

overthere

I have a masters degree in electrotechnical technologies which specializes in electronics aboard a ship, but recently I've come to grips with the fact I lack any real interest in the field.

My current job is not related to electronics and I basically barely needed high school to be able to work on this position, and the money is just good enough for a fresh out of college guy who could use a stepping stone, but the problem is, I just don't see myself getting a better job due to my lack of skill and interest in the field I studied.

I don't think I'm cut out to work on a ship either. That would mean months and months away from home, on a ship where I wouldn't even see land for weeks. I think I'd go crazy. But, if I stay on this job, I'll never see any real money, and I predict times are going to get hard enough that I could use some real savings.

But I'm just not interested enough in the field to compete on land. I don't know what to do. I can't force myself to get interested, but this way it's a waste of a degree. I'd like to think I'm capable of more than what I'm doing now, but I don't show any signs of it.

I don't know...just needed to vent. Anyone here not passionate about anything too?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I have no passion, haven't had it for a long time. Although a master's in electrical technologies... what is that exactly? I don't mean to be a dick but I did the same dumb thing too. Went out to get a degree in electrical engineering and you know what, it's boring as f**king hell. Kicking myself that I didn't go straight into chemical or mechanical engineering. Where the real money and more importantly the "usefulness" is. However I don't understand how you can not compete in electrical work with a masters, be it on ship or land, cause I shit you not, all an electrical engineer does for the most part is layout. That's it. Intel, you layout transistors on a wafer, at Boeing you layout wiring at any structural firm you trace and layout wiring. There's more to it but it's not hard and all pay well. Yea it's boring but a decent paycheck makes it fun.

What are you doing right now anyways. Oh and for anyone thinking of doing electrical(electronic) work, it's not that great a thing. I'm just glad it only cost me 12 grand out or pocket. Hell, paid that back and then some for a mere6  weeks on an oil rig. Thank god.

Sabby

Sabby

Maybe what interests you needs to be put aside for the time being. By the sound of it, it might be wise to consider the job you studied for, but not as a life long career. You said it yourself, your financial situation probably needs this, and you'd be wasting your education if you don't do it.

How long would you have to commit to this to come out better off and with your sanity? Is there a long term plan you can work it into?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I wonder if he knows that he could work in dry dock too. I don't know where he's from but the military in the US is always looking for electrical workers for there ship yards. He'll work on ships but wouldn't have to sail away with them. Starting pay is upwards of 125K. Of course a certain someones hiring ban would thoroughly delay that endeavor for the time being. Even local build facilities would love that type of experience. I think the poor guy has a lack of confidence more than anything.

Sabby

Sabby

If anyone knows where you'd be appreciates, they're probably in the military. I don't know who you see regarding work, but maybe go tell them how you feel. They might have a solution.

overthere

overthere

I'm not from the US. No Intel here, minimum military, limited options, overall extremely high unemployment rate. Thing is, there's a separate degree for electrical engineer that's valued a bit more here for jobs on land.  My degree sort of specializes for ships, although electricity is electricity, but a proper electrical engineer degree is known to go more in depth and overall a better course.

As for how long would I have to commit, minimum cadet training on ship is 6 months, and depending on the company, I've heard most of them make a contract with you so that you're bound to work for them a year or two after those 6 months.

Sabby

Sabby

Sounds like you have two options, at least. Commit to that, get some money, come home and put it to something you actually want to do, or double down and get that course that will make you more hireable. Either way, you really can't afford to waste the education, by the sounds of it.

Russ

Russ

Oil industry is crying out for electrical and mechanical and electrical engineers.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: overthere on Feb 27, 2017, 06:39:25 AM
I'm not from the US. No Intel here, minimum military, limited options, overall extremely high unemployment rate.
Where do you live, if you don't mind telling us.

Oh and I'm an electronic engineer, not an electrical. I remember back in the day, electrical engineers were laughed at where as all the big tech wanted electronic... I should have gone electrical. :P Still not that much of a mistake to be honest.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 27, 2017, 10:06:24 AM
Where do you live, if you don't mind telling us.

Oh and I'm an electronic engineer, not an electrical. I remember back in the day, electrical engineers were laughed at where as all the big tech wanted electronic... I should have gone electrical. :P Still not that much of a mistake to be honest.

I'm from Croatia.

Well the courses here encompass both electronics and electrical so one is qualified for both after finishing college. The division between one and the other sort of faded away. They all fall under "electro-technical studies"

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

I used to feel that way long ago. I know its not much to contribute, but I know that feeling of wanting to do something and yet there was no strong interest to go after. Some people had mistaken it for laziness, but its far from the truth. It was so frustrating to explain to people that I just couldn't find something that I want to sit with for the rest of my life. People always told me take a path with lots of cash but I don't want to be a soulless former self either. I mean if its something I want to do for the rest of my life, it has to be a good one, was just so hard looking for that one path.

I would go with Sabby's first option; save up that dough in the meantime and find a path that you would love to be in. Easier said then done, I know for sure, but we all have to take jobs we don't like at times in life.*shudders at memories of warehouse jobs*  Good luck dude!

Sabby

Sabby

Yeah, agonizing over where you'll be in 40 years just won't help you move forward. You have short term options, and while you will need to have some idea of the future, moving forward at all is a good start. f**k man, you got a better start at this than a lot of people. I'd love to be able to double down on my education to get good work that pays well. I'm 28 and I'm taking a Hospitality course so I might one day get on the bottom rung of society that is customer service. As a first job, as well.

I get the lack of motivation, but you have a lot going for you, by the sounds of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is kind of envious.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Feb 27, 2017, 05:33:45 PM
I used to feel that way long ago. I know its not much to contribute, but I know that feeling of wanting to do something and yet there was no strong interest to go after. Some people had mistaken it for laziness, but its far from the truth. It was so frustrating to explain to people that I just couldn't find something that I want to sit with for the rest of my life. People always told me take a path with lots of cash but I don't want to be a soulless former self either. I mean if its something I want to do for the rest of my life, it has to be a good one, was just so hard looking for that one path.

I would go with Sabby's first option; save up that dough in the meantime and find a path that you would love to be in. Easier said then done, I know for sure, but we all have to take jobs we don't like at times in life.*shudders at memories of warehouse jobs*  Good luck dude!

Thanks! How did it work out for you in the end? What do you do now?

Quote from: Sabby on Feb 27, 2017, 05:40:38 PM
Yeah, agonizing over where you'll be in 40 years just won't help you move forward. You have short term options, and while you will need to have some idea of the future, moving forward at all is a good start. f**k man, you got a better start at this than a lot of people. I'd love to be able to double down on my education to get good work that pays well. I'm 28 and I'm taking a Hospitality course so I might one day get on the bottom rung of society that is customer service. As a first job, as well.

I get the lack of motivation, but you have a lot going for you, by the sounds of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is kind of envious.

Trust me you have nothing to envy me for. Poor job options here for me, and the only real way of getting some significant money is to go aboard a ship, which would probably drive me to extreme depression. Plus, with my degree and all, all I know is some basic theoretical knowledge, nothing to show off or impress any respectable employer. I'm missing that spark, interest, will, to go that extra length to make anything of it.

I keep trying to get into a bit of programming, but I lose motivation quickly and lack the discipline to sit and learn some coding. That's where the money and future is, but I can't push myself to it.

Maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow...

Samhain13

Samhain13

I just got my degree in environmental engineering, I actually wanted to get into this, but my country is in its worse economic crysis since the 30s, not many companies are hiring in, things are not as bad for us as for petroleum engineering which is fubar but still things are hard for everyone.

Me and some friends are trying to start a company in this field(which is what I wanted to do the most) but its going to take some time and money to get started so I feel kind of lost at the moment, since I'm not doing anything that I studied for, things are boring so my motivation overall goes down. I still have computer, video games, books and lifting to entertain me for now so I won't get depressed but my future is quite uncertain.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 27, 2017, 09:01:14 PM
I just got my degree in environmental engineering, I actually wanted to get into this, but my country is in its worse economic crysis since the 30s, not many companies are hiring in, things are not as bad for us as for petroleum engineering which is fubar but still things are hard for everyone.

Me and some friends are trying to start a company in this field(which is what I wanted to do the most) but its going to take some time and money to get started so I feel kind of lost at the moment, since I'm not doing anything that I studied for, things are boring so my motivation overall goes down. I still have computer, video games, books and lifting to entertain me for now so I won't get depressed but my future is quite uncertain.

Brohug. I know how you feel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed