The "Slim" Chances of Blomkamp's Alien 5 - AvPGalaxy Podcast #46

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 13, 2017, 08:50:14 AM

Author
The "Slim" Chances of Blomkamp's Alien 5 - AvPGalaxy Podcast #46 (Read 22,978 times)

whiterabbit

Oh good god windebieste, now you've got me worried, "new generation" of alien movies sounds frightening.  :-[

Best hope now is something akin to Mad Max: Fury Road Trip!

Russ

I really enjoyed the cast - great work all

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 14, 2017, 10:25:05 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to money.  For Fox to budget and green light $150m on 2 movies might be expecting a bit much. 

This way, if 'ALIEN: Covenant' bombs - or breaks even - they're not risking a further $150m on another movie that not only MUST be successful but make up the differences, shortfalls and losses of the first one.  It's just too much to ask.  If 'A:C' is successful, we'll see a sequel to 'Covenant' - not Blomkamp's Quarter of a Century old overdue sequel.   

I think this is the primary reason for it. Prometheus did well but it wasn't an Alien branded film. We don't know how well Covenant is going to do and it feels like they would have tested the water with Covenant being an Alien film with Scott's name attached to it. But they also waited to long and everyone has moved on.

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 15, 2017, 12:10:18 AM
But don't Fox and most studios usually have multiple projects going at once? Disney seem to be releasing Star Wars movies very close to one another nowadays, so I don't see why Fox couldn't do the same. I suppose Star Wars is a more guarenteed bankable franchise, but from what I understand the Alien franchise still does well enough.

It's like you said, Aliens isn't Star Wars. Aliens may do well enough but it doesn't do guaranteed Star Wars levels of return.

Quote from: Russ on Feb 21, 2017, 08:52:37 AM
I really enjoyed the cast - great work all

Thanks. And to everyone who commented on the podcast. Any issues, please do let us know. We want to keep improving.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Feb 21, 2017, 12:30:18 AM
I think Blomkamp should just do an AVP movie and leave the Alien series alone.

He's on record as heavily disliking the AVP concept.

oberonqa

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 26, 2017, 04:08:16 AM
He's on record as heavily disliking the AVP concept.

To be honest who doesn't like the AVP concept as it has been depicted on film so far?  I wonder if his feelings is due to not liking the idea of the two franchises intermingling or is it due to execution of the idea?  If it's the former... not much can be done to change his mind there.  If it's the latter, then I wonder if he might not be able to be convinced into doing it by showing him the AvP comics.  He may not even be aware of the comics if it's a matter of disliking the idea due to the execution of the movies....

SM

QuoteTo be honest who doesn't like the AVP concept as it has been depicted on film so far?

A clear majority.

;)

oberonqa

Quote from: SM on Feb 26, 2017, 10:39:08 PM
QuoteTo be honest who doesn't like the AVP concept as it has been depicted on film so far?

A clear majority.

;)

Exactly - the films have not done the AvP concept any measure of justice.  I do think there is potential for a good movie... but it has to be done right and the right way to do it is NOT the way the movies have done it.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: oberonqa on Feb 26, 2017, 10:25:19 PM
To be honest who doesn't like the AVP concept as it has been depicted on film so far?  I wonder if his feelings is due to not liking the idea of the two franchises intermingling or is it due to execution of the idea?  If it's the former... not much can be done to change his mind there.  If it's the latter, then I wonder if he might not be able to be convinced into doing it by showing him the AvP comics.  He may not even be aware of the comics if it's a matter of disliking the idea due to the execution of the movies....

It's the former. He doesn't like the concept, itself and thinks both series should stay away from one another.

Local Trouble

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

As someone who wants both Alien 5 and a new AVP, it's weird to me that Blomkamp champions one idea, yet condemns the other.  Both concepts have the same potential to be awesome movies.

There's really no reason to hate the AVP concept.  It's a B-movie idea for sure, but so was Alien, right? Just like Alien, it deserves the A-movie treatment.

I don't know what FOX thought they were doing with the first two "vs" films, but those definitely weren't A-level treatments.

I've always wished that Aliens Vs Predator had been made as a sequel to Aliens. Similarly, I'd love to see Blomkamp follow up A5 with a new AVP.  Would love to see Rip n Hicks to encounter the predators.

Nyarlathotep

I disagree, there is plenty of reason to hate both ideas, and no AVP most definitely does not deserve "A-level treatment."

SM

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Mar 01, 2017, 01:47:53 AM
I disagree, there is plenty of reason to hate both ideas, and no AVP most definitely does not deserve "A-level treatment."

If someone said "It! The Terror From Beyond Space" didn't deserve A-treatment, we never would've received Alien.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2017, 02:14:50 AM
Why not?
Because I feel that film crossovers not only reek of desperation, but often serve to only further weaken there respective franchises.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 01, 2017, 02:53:58 AM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Mar 01, 2017, 01:47:53 AM

If someone said "It! The Terror From Beyond Space" didn't deserve A-treatment, we never would've received Alien.
I never said that it didn't. What I meant was that most crossovers such as AVP don't.

SM

When it comes to Ripley and people screaming "enough Ripley", my response is that there's six films with Aliens in, and the four best ones have Ripley in them, the implication being Alien and Ripley need each other.

The reasoned response to that is 'just because the existing AvP films don't work, doesn't mean they couldn't in the future'.  Which is completely correct.  There are ways to get the balance right so the respective franchises aren't weakened (something like the first comic series would work).  The first major obstacle is the title.  It does reek of desperation, not to mention it screams "cheap".  It sounds like a boxing match.  I'm not sure you can get round that, which means it would be up to the actual content to elevate the title.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed