The "Slim" Chances of Blomkamp's Alien 5 - AvPGalaxy Podcast #46

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 13, 2017, 08:50:14 AM

Author
The "Slim" Chances of Blomkamp's Alien 5 - AvPGalaxy Podcast #46 (Read 22,982 times)

PsyKore

I'm not keen on what they propose with Alien 5, but why not make it side-by-side with Ridley's films. They could just release it intermittently with his films. Or would that confuse the casual movie-goer?

N-Shifter

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 14, 2017, 09:58:02 PM
I'm not keen on what they propose with Alien 5, but why not make it side-by-side with Ridley's films. They could just release it intermittently with his films. Or would that confuse the casual movie-goer?

Filthy casuals, ruin it for everyone  :P

windebieste

I think a lot of it comes down to money.  For Fox to budget and green light $150m on 2 movies might be expecting a bit much. 

This way, if 'ALIEN: Covenant' bombs - or breaks even - they're not risking a further $150m on another movie that not only MUST be successful but make up the differences, shortfalls and losses of the first one.  It's just too much to ask.  If 'A:C' is successful, we'll see a sequel to 'Covenant' - not Blomkamp's Quarter of a Century old overdue sequel.   

People are divided over Blomkamp's proposal as it is.  Some want it.  Some don't.  That's no guarantee for success.   

Would've been Great...
...in 1988.

-Windebieste.

PsyKore

But don't Fox and most studios usually have multiple projects going at once? Disney seem to be releasing Star Wars movies very close to one another nowadays, so I don't see why Fox couldn't do the same. I suppose Star Wars is a more guarenteed bankable franchise, but from what I understand the Alien franchise still does well enough.

But I don't know. I just want more movies. ;D

Spit

Spit

Scott had dibs since he announced his intentions to make a series taking place before Alien and tying into it before Prometheus was even released. End of story.

Perhaps Blomkamp could make a film called Aliens #2: The Twitter Interloper.

Releasing his fan art online as if it was "Oh, What Could Have Been, Hicks and Newt Fans Wink Wink" was such a poor show on his behalf. He only has himself to blame. 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 14, 2017, 10:25:05 PMWould've been Great...
...in 1988.

:laugh: Most downbeat campaign slogan ever.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 13, 2017, 03:12:08 PMThe problem is, Weaver is on record stating she doesn't want to play the clone in a future film. It's the original Ripley or nothing for her.

And yet at one point she insisted they kill Ripley off because she didn't want to keep playing her.

People change their minds.

Anonymous

Anonymous

What does Predator have to do with the Alien films anyway?

Don't Predators, Terminators, Robocop and Batman all exist in the same world too? I wan't to see THAT shyte on the big screen.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 14, 2017, 10:25:05 PM
I think a lot of it comes down to money.  For Fox to budget and green light $150m on 2 movies might be expecting a bit much. 

Fox doesn't pay everything out of their own pocket. They usually have one or more co-financiers.

brokentusk420

wheres the petition to keep this film not made??

D. Compton Ambrose

I think the script sucked and they were just blowing smoke up his ass. :)

PRJ_since1990

What I think is bogus is the idea that people are so torn over this concept coming to film because it upsets continuity when the AvP movies are still canon yet people separate them entirely.

Glaive

Glaive

We've ALREADY HAD one 'Fanfic' film in this franchise...and THAT didn't turn out so well...

D. Compton Ambrose

I think Blomkamp should just do an AVP movie and leave the Alien series alone.

426Buddy

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Feb 15, 2017, 10:01:46 PM
What I think is bogus is the idea that people are so torn over this concept coming to film because it upsets continuity when the AvP movies are still canon yet people separate them entirely.

I don't want another film that is so bad that i have to pretend it doesn't exist,  like the avp films. That said blomkamps worst effort would still produce something better than the avp's I think.

windebieste

windebieste

I feel there's a big difference between being a fan and living in the past; yet it's separated by a very fine line for some people.

Fox are going to be interested in targeting today's audience more than yesterday's. 'PROMETHEUS' was proof of that.  'ALIEN: Covenant' will bring the rest of the series (and its fans) kicking and screaming into the 21st Century whether they like it or not.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing how this new generation of 'ALIEN' movies unfolds.  There's a lot of potential and promise here.  It doesn't have to lean heavily on retconning anything.  It doesn't need aged characters returning.  You can still have running gun battles with Aliens and I'm sure we will see that happen.

Does it need Ripley, Newt and/or Hicks?  Nope.  We're better off without them at this late stage.  This is one of those cases where History should stay where it belongs - in the past.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed