ADI discusses 'Alien: Resurrection' Alien design

Started by OmegaZilla, Feb 12, 2017, 06:50:10 PM

Author
ADI discusses 'Alien: Resurrection' Alien design (Read 9,010 times)

Local Trouble

Whose brilliant idea was the overbite?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Chronicle on Feb 13, 2017, 01:28:00 PM
I think they copped out of the design once they got to the low budge AVP movies.

They're identical to the Resurrection designs.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2017, 04:11:36 PM
Whose brilliant idea was the overbite?

I wonder...

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 13, 2017, 02:55:19 PM
Its just my opinion that they prefer a more fleshy pumpkinhead look, despite what they will outright say on the record.
So you're going to ignore reality to justify dislikingg people for a reason that exists solely in your head? What a dick move :-\

QuoteAlso we'll just have to disagree, I think ADI is above reproach for many imo.
And again, with literally nothing to support that statement.

'It's just my opinion' isn't a free pass to pull arguments or of your arse...

IRT Local Trouble

It was a side effect of removing the dome. They didn't resculpt the front of the face to fill the gap.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2017, 09:30:45 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 13, 2017, 02:55:19 PM
Its just my opinion that they prefer a more fleshy pumpkinhead look, despite what they will outright say on the record.
So you're going to ignore reality to justify dislikingg people for a reason that exists solely in your head? What a dick move :-\

QuoteAlso we'll just have to disagree, I think ADI is above reproach for many imo.
And again, with literally nothing to support that statement.

'It's just my opinion' isn't a free pass to pull arguments or of your arse...

IRT Local Trouble

It was a side effect of removing the dome. They didn't resculpt the front of the face to fill the gap.

It's okay SiL, it's okay. No need to be a jerk.

I never said I dislike them personally, I dislike their work on the alien films

I didn't have time to go out and get sources for why I feel they incorporate a fleshy style into their designs on purpose, maybe later when I have some more time. Not that it matters, I'm sure you would come back with a fiery response about how I have no proof and just pulled it out of my ass. But i'll see if I can put something together later.

*sigh* as for "ADI is above reproach" i really don't feel like i digging through a ton of old threads to offer examples of why I have developed this opinion so I'll take it back (I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with how overly sensitive people get when ADI is criticised even a little)..... i'm sorry I know you're disappointed.

SiL

The video addresses why they did it on purpose: it suited the script. Then they had to reuse the moulds for the next two movies. And they've been consistent in saying that from the beginning.

They have said they didn't like the literal nuts and bolts on Giger's original suit, but then immediately talk about trying to stick closer to the look of his paintings - which they really did for A3.

I've never seen anyone here say ADI is beyond reproach, or act like it. The number of people who hate their Predators, or their Aliens, or the Newborn, or the PredAlien, basically covers everyone here.

And before you say I'm acting like they're beyond reproach,  I hate the AR+ design regardless of whether it suits the story and their chestbursters are the goofiest looking things ever. And the PredAlien is awful. As were Scar and Wolf's faces.

Scorpio

I think they're trying to say that the biomech design wouldn't work if they're showing more of the creature.  Both Alien and Aliens kept the creatures in the shadows.

SiL

I get that they think the literal cables and bolts would be a bit much - which I really disagree with - but they tried to stick to the actual biomech aesthetic from the paintings, which is a lot more streamlined.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2017, 10:31:24 PM
The video addresses why they did it on purpose: it suited the script. Then they had to reuse the moulds for the next two movies. And they've been consistent in saying that from the beginning.

They have said they didn't like the literal nuts and bolts on Giger's original suit, but then immediately talk about trying to stick closer to the look of his paintings - which they really did for A3.

I've never seen anyone here say ADI is beyond reproach, or act like it. The number of people who hate their Predators, or their Aliens, or the Newborn, or the PredAlien, basically covers everyone here.

And before you say I'm acting like they're beyond reproach,  I hate the AR+ design regardless of whether it suits the story and their chestbursters are the goofiest looking things ever. And the PredAlien is awful. As were Scar and Wolf's faces.

Thank you for toning down the hostility, I feel like I'm constantly eliciting anger or hostility with my posts, I have begun to wonder just how much of dbag my writing makes me sound like.

I have not had time yet today to finish the video, I was simply refering to other interviews I have listened to, I will try and pull some quotes tonight or tomorrow to back up my opinion.

I am aware that almost everyone has something they dislike about some of the creatures as the appear on screen, but for every example you listed I have had someone explain how its not ADI's fault. Saying people think they are above reproach is hyperbole, my fault. But like I said, I've seen every criticism of there work explained away as someone else's doing.

I know theyve talked about trying use more giger influence on the alien 3 design, and you can see it in some of the patterns. But that melted pizza cheese neck design is all them not giger as far as I can tell.

SiL

The problem is when people say those design briefs were their doing. It's not ADI's fault Scar looks 'handsome' or that the AR Aliens are fleshy, for example. How they executed those ideas, though, was on them.

I was happy to give them the benefit of Anderson's awful brief for the Predators until I saw Wolf's face and realise they just don't seem to get how a Predator face works.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Feb 13, 2017, 11:44:28 PM
The problem is when people say those design briefs were their doing. It's not ADI's fault Scar looks 'handsome' or that the AR Aliens are fleshy, for example. How they executed those ideas, though, was on them.

I was happy to give them the benefit of Anderson's awful brief for the Predators until I saw Wolf's face and realise they just don't seem to get how a Predator face works.
Pretty much all of this. ADI was paid to do a job, and they didn't have the creative freedom to guide the process like, say, Stan Winston did. There are things about their designs I don't like (especially unmasked Predators, although Wolf is the best of their attempts - and that's damning with faint praise) but I also can't hold them personally responsible for the vast majority of it.

Is ADI doing the effects work for 'The Predator'? I seem to recall reading that they were.

whiterabbit

So I basically watched a 30 minute video on how it was all Jean-Pierre Jeunet's fault? I know they take their work seriously but for me, their aliens are my least favorite. I don't care who's idea it was to do what. Still that flippy floppy tail on the resurrection aliens was, err gah mahhhh, just plain dumb.  It's a movie, artistic license is ok. It's an alien. There was no need to put that tail on just to "justify" the swimming.

Also what's with Tom Woodruff Jr.'s posture... it felt like he wanted to punch me in the nuts. I don't like the tail but geez louise he looks like he's in total carnage mode. Come on guys, I paid good money to see this stuff, only to be disappointed.

SM

I'm sure Tom isn't alone.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Feb 14, 2017, 06:58:05 AM
I'm sure Tom isn't alone.
Get in line. :P

I am razzing them but it is their creation. They shouldn't be pawning off it's short comings. Even though I totally accept their reasoning.

You know what, Tom Woodruff should play an angry engineer in the next movie. He's got that arrogance down pat.

PsyKore

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 14, 2017, 07:32:50 AM
They shouldn't be pawning off it's short comings. Even though I totally accept their reasoning.

I get the feeling there's more to it. I'm sure they're disappointed not being involved in the current movies, and that they don't want to be known for the bad films, hence them justifying why their designs are the way they are. They might also feel the flak they cop is unfair. But I really think they are hopeful to do more in the franchise in the future and I feel like this video is them sort of explaining their resume to potential employers, lol.

Scorpio

They want the Alien 5 gig.  But without Giger's involvement, it won't be true to his work.  Even Ridley Scott held back.

At least ADI did the Viper Pit, which is the best Giger homage they've ever done.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed