Splash Report Rumors

Started by ThePredatorUK, Feb 10, 2017, 09:01:54 PM

Author
Splash Report Rumors (Read 61,015 times)

Predator_Spirit

Predator_Spirit

Predator 2  wasn't a flop.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It only just made it's budget back. Both Predator and Predators were much more successful in box office returns. More in line with what studios would prefer.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Feb 22, 2017, 07:41:31 PM
Iron Man 3 was a critical and commercial success.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? Critical success. Wasn't a commercial success, but neither was the movie you worship, Predator 2. And that wasn't even a critical success.

The Nice Guys? Critical success. Wasn't a commercial success, but neither was the movie you worship, Predator 2. And that wasn't even a critical success.

The Predator will be Shane's second directorial movie that'll be based on preexisting material, I have a feeling that in addition to it being a critical success, it'll be a commercial one too. Obviously, obviously, obviously not at the level of Iron Man 3, but a commercial success in its own right.

Predator fans ain't ever had it so good and most of them don't even realize it. Just like Alien fans ain't ever had it so good with Ridley back, even though many, myself included, were underwhelmed by the trailer.

Can't take this for granted. These are the halcyon days, as opposed to 1992-2007 when: (Dillon's voice) "The apocalypse is upON us!"

100% spot on, the lot of it.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Feb 22, 2017, 09:53:50 PM

That must've been why they didn't make another one for 20 years, and in the interim had to piggyback off of Alien.

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Feb 22, 2017, 11:18:08 PM

That must've been why they didn't make another one for 20 years, and in the interim had to piggyback off of Alien.

Predator is a special franchise. Studios make tons of movies that don't even break even, but they make them because they believe in the product. In my opinion, they probably thought the franchise was too important not to take anymore chances with. Jurassic Park 3 was a commercial success, but it still took 15 years to make a sequel to that. It's not always about the money. Sometimes it's about the quality and integrity of the franchise. If it was all about the money, we'd be on Jurassic Park 8 or 9 by now. Ah hell, then Disney completely ruins what I'm saying with a new Star Wars movie every year. Damn Disney. Let me rephrase that: For some studios it's all about the money.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Feb 22, 2017, 11:18:08 PM

It was up against Dances With Wolves and Home Alone.  If it had Arnold in it, it would have made more money, but everyone knows that.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Fox dumped it at the worst possible time against stiff competition. Maybe an October release would've been better, but at the time the film wasn't very liked.

I didn't even know they made another until my mom rented it and me and my brother watched it. I liked it a lot. The Jamaican scene scared the crap out of me. lol

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Predator 2 flopped and that is that. Release date had nothing to do with it and even if it did, oh well. Scream was a *Christmas* release! That movie conquered.

Some of my favorite films were flops. Oh well though, you know? Facts are facts are facts.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Feb 23, 2017, 06:06:07 AM
Predator 2 flopped and that is that. Release date had nothing to do with it and even if it did, oh well. Scream was a *Christmas* release! That movie conquered.

Some of my favorite films were flops. Oh well though, you know? Facts are facts are facts.

The release date had a lot to do with it. Why put a movie like that against Dances with Wolves and Home Alone? Scream actually bombed when it first released. It was the word of mouth that saved that movie. I know because I was working at movie theater at the time. We actually got rid of it and then it came back a couple weeks later.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Feb 22, 2017, 06:51:02 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Feb 22, 2017, 03:29:21 PM
Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Feb 22, 2017, 02:56:54 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Feb 21, 2017, 08:23:45 PM
Quote from: Master on Feb 21, 2017, 08:10:18 PM
Bullshit. John McTiernan was The Michel Bay of 80' and had Arnie, Jessie and Apollo effin Creeed in his team just to name a few.

John McTiernan didn't become John McTiernan until after Predator, is the point.

Shane Black is making a Predator film after he became thee Shane Black.

No bullshit here.

Shane was never praised for his directing skills, but he was praised for his writing skills.
Shane directed smart, critically acclaimed movies that were also liked by the audiences, and that's what makes a good director.

Point is, McTiernan was never praised for anything up until Predator, in fact he made one movie before that neither did good financially or critically, so they took a risk.

Shane Black is a household name in Hollywood and a lot of people are excited by the fact he's doing the movie, if you look at social media, a lot of people that never cared for Predator will only watch this because it's a "Shane Black movie", so yeah, at this point this is in fact the very first prominent director this franchise ever had, and to top that, at his peak as well.

Shane could do a bunch of other movies, he's only doing this because he's passionate about this franchise.

Will it be a good movie? We'll see, there is no guarantee for anything, but we have every reason to believe this will be a cool movie experience, they even go for IMAX this time.

All I can see everywhere is legitimate negativity toward the news,it's a fact, deal with it Johnny Boy.

So let's check the filmography of Shane as a directror.

Iron Man 3, hated by the fans to these days.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which was a flop and a so so movie.
The Nice Guys, a movie with potencial ruined by a kid.Also it was a commercial failure.

:oSoooo impressed by his directing skills.

Iron Man 3 hated by fans? A solid 7,2 on IMDB, the best f**king plot twist ever made, liked by most critics, made over a billion.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, praised by critics, a solid 7,6 on IMDB.
The Nice Guys, a solid 7,4 on IMDB, liked by critics. I loved the wise-ass kid in it, but that's my opinion.

Predator 2 didn't flop? Dude, i love the movie, but it did flop, hence no movie for 20 years.

Man, in what kind of alternate reality you live in? We're talking about the same movies? I'm not saying he's f**king Christopher Nolan, but it is a fact that his movies are well received and universally liked/loved my most people, there is really nothing to argue there.

No one is expecting you to like anything and it's OK to be cautious... take 10 people on this board, at least 8 will have very different expectations of what this movie should be, what any movie should be, really... and like anybody else, i just care for what i like.

Having said that, now would be the time to at least stop making yourself look like a opinionated person with no knowledge whatsoever about anything you talk about, 'cause you come across as desperate now :-[

Kerrod33

Kerrod33

It's a shame that the general consensus is a movie sucks if it bombs at the box office though.

I'm a sucker for flops too. For example Dracula Untold sucked but it's one of my favourite films :P

Predator 2 is f**kin great aswell, but just like anything else I enjoy, it sucked according to everyone else and hurt the franchise because it couldn't pull the numbers

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Hollywood cares about money, they always have, they always will, it's a business. There are horrendous movies that make a shitload of cash, and they get sequels.

Unfortunately, Predator 2 wasn't well received and didn't make money, and that was the final nail in the coffin. I still love it, money does not equal quality. But you gotta understand the producers, you just burned a shitload of cash, you don't repeat.

Master

Master

This! I wouldn't put  it better my self. Still, here we are nearly thirty years later talking about it.  Flop or not, P2 is cult classic ;)

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Kerrod33 on Feb 23, 2017, 07:54:00 AM

It's a shame that the general consensus is a movie sucks if it bombs at the box office though.

I'm a sucker for flops too. For example Dracula Untold sucked but it's one of my favourite films :P

Predator 2 is f**kin great aswell, but just like anything else I enjoy, it sucked according to everyone else and hurt the franchise because it couldn't pull the numbers

No one is saying a movie's bad because it flops.

Quote from: echobbase79 on Feb 23, 2017, 06:23:24 AM

The release date had a lot to do with it. Why put a movie like that against Dances with Wolves and Home Alone? Scream actually bombed when it first released. It was the word of mouth that saved that movie. I know because I was working at movie theater at the time. We actually got rid of it and then it came back a couple weeks later.

It bombed. Enough with the release date! Lol. I know it had something to do with it. I don't care. The movie also got bad reviews.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Yeah, it bombed that was never in dispute from my end. I was just commenting on how the release affected it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed