How do you view & take from everything you've seen regarding the Alien story?

Started by Ferengo, Feb 10, 2017, 01:56:47 PM

Author
How do you view & take from everything you've seen regarding the Alien story? (Read 1,467 times)

Ferengo

Hi guys. Had a little search and could only find snippets to the below not one full

So I was thinking the other day. Certain points are brought up from Alien every so often and occasionally I may change  my mind on how I currently view the story. By this I mean I originally believed the company to have sent the Nostromo to LV426 to collect a sample knowing prior (more or less) what they would expect. This however has changed in recent years. My current theory/belief is as follows.

The Nostromo was on it's was back from mining. Now it was returning to Earth but I think it may have been from somewhere new. The reason being that if this was a normal trip along a line that was regularly used by mining ships then someone would have picked up the derelict signal before now given by how old the ship seems to be (This may change obviously dependant on Covenant). The ship could have been diverted for some reason but I have yet to see anything to suggest this (BTW I understand the ship diverted to LV426 for the signal but I mean a diversion prior to this in order that the ship would pickup the signal from the derelict and then divert off it's route home).

I also am of the belief that special order 937 is an automated command. That if any ship picks up a signal that could be of Alien life (or specifically Xenomorph) then 937 is activated.

Now there's Ash. He could have been put there on purpose as the company knew about the signal. I think though that he may have been put there as a just in case. Perhaps as events had occurred in that region of space that the company were  aware if and wanted someone there they could control via orders triggered by events or perhaps as that region hadn't been explored and they wanted someone there again they could control. Same goes for replacing the original warrant officer with Ripley. There is nothing evil about that so why should that be the case with Ash?

From there on the film plays out pretty straight forward for me unless you take into account the directors cut which shows egg morphing. I also believe that when some one is face hugged that they would normally have a regular drone alien as a queen would have been present to lay the eggs therefore a second queen would not have been required. While that drone is birthed on the ship there is no queen near by and therefore no link (telepathic, instinct etc...) which means the alien acts more unpredictable and also starts to egg morph. One of those eggs would provide a facehugger that would provide a queen within it's host.

I also don't think the Alien was dying just that it was reacting to not having a Queen/Hive near by.

Again this is my belief based upon what I have seen, read into myself and read from yourselves on here. This will probably change when I see something that fits more than what I think already fits.

I'd like to hear your thoughts based upon what you yourself have seen, read and believe. Also your thoughts on what I have said too.

SM

QuoteI also am of the belief that special order 937 is an automated command. That if any ship picks up a signal that could be of Alien life (or specifically Xenomorph) then 937 is activated.

There is a standing order for any ship that any transmission indicating an intelligent origin must be investigated, and failure to do so results in forfeiture of shares.

SO937 specifically mentions the Nostromo being re-routed.  By it's very definition it's a "special order".

Local Trouble

Indeed.  I imagine it would have been called General Order 937 otherwise.

Ferengo

Ferengo

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2017, 08:44:56 PM
Indeed.  I imagine it would have been called General Order 937 otherwise.

Quote from: SM on Feb 10, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
QuoteI also am of the belief that special order 937 is an automated command. That if any ship picks up a signal that could be of Alien life (or specifically Xenomorph) then 937 is activated.

There is a standing order for any ship that any transmission indicating an intelligent origin must be investigated, and failure to do so results in forfeiture of shares.

SO937 specifically mentions the Nostromo being re-routed.  By it's very definition it's a "special order".

I just re-watched the scene. I always thought that the priority one part was the SO937. So the bit stating "Nostromo rerouted to new co-ordinates. investigate lifeform. Gather sample" is SO937 as well?

SM

Ripley asks Mother 'What is Special Order 937?' and Mother tells her.  The whole thing is the special order.

Local Trouble

Has SM ever been mistaken for Captain Walker?

SM

Ferengo

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2017, 09:34:19 PM
Ripley asks Mother 'What is Special Order 937?' and Mother tells her.  The whole thing is the special order.

Man, that makes me think about it in a whole new way. Like I said I always thought the priority part was the special order.

Gonna watch it again tonight with this in mind now. Seeing it in a new light now.

ScaryMinds

In a similar way I always wonder about Gorman's line in <em>Aliens</em>, "there might be a xenomorph involved", does this sound like prior knowledge of the species to anyone?

SM

No.  Aliens is the first time it's referred to as such.

If the Company had prior knowledge they're monumentally dumb to not try and exploit it with more resources, rather than risking it to tug jockies, colonists and marines.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed