Scott approach to movie making: too much going on at one time?

Started by oduodu, Feb 05, 2017, 07:53:32 PM

Author
Scott approach to movie making: too much going on at one time? (Read 1,960 times)

oduodu

oduodu

Does Scott take proper time to develop a movie or is he too much in a rush to get things done? Is it about money ? About turnover speed? Is this an unfair question? Why does Cameron get proper time to develop his scripts and research?

Was Kubrick the director he was because he did proper research over a set period of time ?

Could this be a part of the problems we saw in Prometheus?

SM

Just the way he likes to work.

Samhain13

Cameron takes too much time, it took him like what... 10 years to make Avatar? And where is that sequel?
Ridley seems more motivated in the last years.

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 05, 2017, 07:53:32 PM
He should have thought more about what he was doing while making Prometheus yeah.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Does Scott take proper time to develop a movie or is he too much in a rush to get things done? Is it about money ? About turnover speed? Is this an unfair question? Why does Cameron get proper time to develop his scripts and research?

Was Kubrick the director he was because he did proper research over a set period of time ?

He used to take 2-3 years per film early in his career. Now he's doing a new film every 18 months.

Obviously he's much more experienced now and has his film making processes finely honed and oiled but a lot of his current films could have done with a little bit more preparation work.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2017, 09:28:39 PM

I understand what you mean. After the death of his brother or should I say brothers both of cancer I think he is obviously very aware of his own mortality. He has on occasion admitted that he realized that keeping busy is a large part of what keeps people healthy. I think this why he keeps so busy.

What I don't get is why he is wasting time on other projects between covenant and its sequel. Surely if doing things now he wasn't able to do all those years ago (and I am very happy that he can within the Alien Franchise) then he should forget about other stuff and concentrate on that(the stuff he was never able to do.) maybe he worries about the people who works for him. That they might not have work if he refuses movies.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 05, 2017, 09:35:21 PM
Cameron takes too much time, it took him like what... 10 years to make Avatar? And where is that sequel?
Ridley seems more motivated in the last years.

He should have thought more about what he was doing while making Prometheus yeah.

Well it seems at least Cameron is making a goodly amount of money that ensures he gets more leeway. Scott could learn from him.

Prometheus was a very quickly made movie. Scott admits it himself. He seems very proud of it. Dunno. Does  he invest in doing something properly ? Maybe that's part of his charm. Who he is. It just a shame he doesn't take more time with Prometheus sequels.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 05, 2017, 09:54:59 PM

He used to take 2-3 years per film early in his career. Now he's doing a new film every 18 months.

Obviously he's much more experienced now and has his film making processes finely honed and oiled but a lot of his current films could have done with a little bit more preparation work.

Well the martian was the only movie after Prometheus he did want it? I think he might have been a bit taken aback by the response to prometheus and decided to take more care in developing a movie.  Let's all hope that's the case. was the pre production on The Martian noticeably different better or was it more the script that played a role?

SM

QuoteWhat I don't get is why he is wasting time on other projects between covenant and its sequel.

The Martian wasn't a waste of time.  Besides he's never been tied to science fiction, and has always done a wide range of projects.  I even liked Exodus.

oduodu

IMHO he should give all his time to this franchise. I know there I 5 years between sequels so that money can be made but why doesn't he make the next 2 movie at the same time? Will save shiteload of money and time. He could finish them both 3 years couldn't he ?

SM

I can contribute only what I've previously contributed.

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2017, 09:28:39 PM

Ingwar

After Gladiator he started working fast. Why waiting? He motto is: just do it! And don't forget he'll be 80 soon. He already knows what he's going to do next. Wraiths of the Broken Land (amazing book by the way) is his next project with Drew Goddard as a writer. Preparation is the key. He's got a plan but sometimes he does things randomly.

oduodu

Damit! Why didn't he use Goddard for Covvie? I like the formula - use a book (where the back story already exists) and then use a quality writer for the script (which apparently from many accounts Goddard is. This was the formula for the Martian.
Here hoping that formula finds its way into Alien: Lucifer.

Ingwar

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 06, 2017, 11:03:10 AM
Damit! Why didn't he use Goddard for Covvie? I like the formula - use a book (where the back story already exists) and then use a quality writer for the script (which apparently from many accounts Goddard is. This was the formula for the Martian.
Here hoping that formula finds its way into Alien: Lucifer.

If I'm not mistaken draft(s)/script(s) for Prometheus sequel were written before The Martian.

Formula is simple and it works if you got decent writer and director. It worked for Mars movie and it'll work for upcoming Scott's western. It's gonna be epic because the book itself is bloody great. Goddard and Scott will deliver.

Alien: Lucifer?

oduodu

Milton's paradise lost was about fallen angels wasn't it? And  the initial scripts was about this and the bad boys who always gets the girl etc then it certainly points to Lucifer who with his perfect beauty and body that contained musical organs/ instruments (that was intended to glorify GOD) that could bring forth the most incredible music and he decided to keep to himself for his own glory. Sound like milton's paradise lost is what prometheus sequel was supposed to be about and lucifer sit right at the top of that. However Covvie is probably Prometheus 3 forced into second position and then the Milton paradise lost angle will move to number 3 with Lucifer at the top misbehaving amongst the girls.

Yes the martial formula was something I hope will finds it way into the  third instalment of prometheus.  With properly developed back story and all. Apparently Goddard is a really really good writer. Perhaps he might up polishing the script
For prometheus 3.

Ingwar

I sincerely doubt that Goddard will be assigned to any Alien movie at the moment. I also assume that they already have written drafts to Covenant sequel(s). It looks like Scott trust Michael Green who is responsible for upcoming Logan, Blade Runner 2049 and Murder on the Orient Express, the last two co-produced by Scott Free.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: oduodu on Feb 05, 2017, 10:40:47 PM
Was the pre production on The Martian noticeably different better or was it more the script that played a role?

Ridley was basically handed a complete script in the form of The Martian. He had no real input into it. I remember he said he specifically didn't read the book because he didn't want to "meddle" with an already great script.

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 06, 2017, 01:46:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken draft(s)/script(s) for Prometheus sequel were written before The Martian.

Yeah, Scott was supposed to shoot Prometheus II/Covenant after Exodus but decided to delay it because he thought "the script needed more work". Which is a good sign IMO.

Btw. Have you read Wraiths of the Broken Land yet?

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2017, 11:23:39 PM
The Martian wasn't a waste of time.  Besides he's never been tied to science fiction, and has always done a wide range of projects.  I even liked Exodus.

Yeah, The Martian is his highest grossing film so far. Received a score of Oscar nominations as well. Hardly a waste of time.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 06, 2017, 05:29:32 PM
Btw. Have you read Wraiths of the Broken Land yet?

I have indeed and it's ... mind-blowing bad-ass. It's dark, gritty and somehow ominous. It's a simple but compelling story about revenge and rite of passage that grabs you from the very beginning. Real and believable characters. Action-packed and bloody as hell. Dialogues between characters are very well-written. I cannot wait to see it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed