James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Jan 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

Author
James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant (Read 33,284 times)

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 29, 2017, 05:03:53 PM
Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 29, 2017, 04:49:41 PM
I for one am cautiously optimistic, particularly because Alien: Covenant reunites Ridley Scott with screenwriter John Logan. This is the duo responsible for bringing audiences the critically acclaimed 2000 film Gladiator. It earned $897 million worldwide, as well as nabbing five Academy Awards and nominations for a further seven.

897 million? Excluding DVD and Blu Ray sells, Gladiator sold cinema tickets worth 457 million. It didn't earn 457 million. You have to consider budget (103 million), cost of distribution and marketing. Box office is not equal with real profit.

Oops, typo.. Sorry. :laugh:

Yeah I see what you mean.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jan 29, 2017, 09:53:48 AM
How did Prometheus change the basic life cycle?

We will have to see how Covenant advances the new ideas, but with the black goo introduced that changes everyones dna into something close to xenos and facehuggers, it seems like anyone can become half xeno just by touching, drinking of inhaling the magic goo. Through that, we already had an octopus instead of a facehugger and not a larva bursting from the host but a fully developed specimen

howard.moody.566

Is there any validity in making 3 more Avatar sequels nobody wants to see?

N-Shifter

N-Shifter

Quote from: howard.moody.566 on Jan 29, 2017, 09:46:18 PM

There will NEVER be a time where James Cameron makes a movie that nobody wants to see, since 1984 I can't think of a single movie he's made that hasn't been a huge success. If he seems to think he has 3 more Avatar stories to tell then all power to him, I'm sure they'll make a ton of money.

Xenomrph

Quote from: howard.moody.566 on Jan 29, 2017, 09:46:18 PM
Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time, that's a really strong argument for making a sequel.

Granted waiting nearly a decade to make a sequel might be a questionable business decision, but the end result might still rake in loads of cash, who knows?

Perfect-Organism

Not sure if the Abyss raked in a ton of money but everything else was pretty much net.  Abyss is also a great film though.

Looks like the media is taking a fairly negative spin to Cameron's comments.  They're making him look a bit like he's bashing Covenant...

echobbase79

Is Avatar a good movie? I've never seen it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 30, 2017, 04:53:41 AM

Neither have I. :P
One of these days I'll get around to it.

SM

SM

srsly?

It's fun but excrutiatingly predictable and lacking in subtlety.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 30, 2017, 04:58:52 AM

Neither have I. :P
One of these days I'll get around to it.

I enjoyed it personally, it's quite fun.

Some bits can be predictable, it's got the "white guy saves natives" kind of plot. People compared it to Dances with Wolves.

But, as a sci fi alien movie, it reverses the roles of your usual alien invasion film where it's humans this time who invade a planet for its resources.

I'd say if you ever get the chance, give it a watch and judge for yourselves.

StrangeShape

If for anything else, the final battle is gangbusters Cameron style

whiterabbit

Sam Worthington's in it. Yea, whatever happened to that guy. He was rumored to be the next big cheese back then.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 30, 2017, 05:48:24 AM
If for anything else, the final battle is gangbusters Cameron style

I've gotta ask, where did gangbusters come from? First I'd heard of that was Cameron describing Alien 3.2 last year.

In regards to the topic at hand - I'd agree if it was just going to be a retread. But that doesn't seem to be what Scott is doing. He's world building and expanding the mythology. Prometheus was a misfire for me because it took away what Scott was initially doing - explaining the origins of Alien - because it stripped those actual Alien elements and kept the alikes in there. Covenant (and the prequels I'm assuming)seems to be steering back to that original intentional.

Whether we're going to like what Scott is serving is a different question, but it's not like he's rehashing the other films. That we know of, anyway.

It was okay. Nothing special. If anything, I think it's success was likely down to the major turn towards 3D around that time. Narratively, it's quite boring. I fell asleep the second time I tried to watch it. I haven't watched it again since.

OpenMaw

Avatar is okay. I watched it once with my brother, and once on my own. The plot really didn't do it for me, and the end battle is okay... Though Camereon's script really had me rooting for Quatrich and his PMC's over the lead(Jake?). Seriously, Our Hero flips sides in a heartbeat by comparison to say... Dances With Wolves, where it takes Dunbar quite awhile before he really flips.

As to Abyss, it was in competition with two... Maybe three other very very similar movies. One of which was Leviathan, and I forget the other one, Deep Water something or other? Basically a bunch of deep sea "horror" movies all at once, and that's why Abyss didn't do as good as it could have.

I don't know how successful it was, but I've always thought True Lies would fit into the realm of "lesser Cameron." Not because it's bad, it's really quite good, but it does come right in between Terminator 2 and Titanic. Surrounded by titans.

Also, i'm still not convinced Ridley is doing a whole other trilogy. My gut really tells me that Covenant is #2, and then he might do one more that leads directly into Alien.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 30, 2017, 10:23:33 AM
Avatar is okay. I watched it once with my brother, and once on my own. The plot really didn't do it for me, and the end battle is okay... Though Camereon's script really had me rooting for Quatrich and his PMC's over the lead(Jake?). Seriously, Our Hero flips sides in a heartbeat by comparison to say... Dances With Wolves, where it takes Dunbar quite awhile before he really flips.

As to Abyss, it was in competition with two... Maybe three other very very similar movies. One of which was Leviathan, and I forget the other one, Deep Water something or other? Basically a bunch of deep sea "horror" movies all at once, and that's why Abyss didn't do as good as it could have.

I don't know how successful it was, but I've always thought True Lies would fit into the realm of "lesser Cameron." Not because it's bad, it's really quite good, but it does come right in between Terminator 2 and Titanic. Surrounded by titans.

Also, i'm still not convinced Ridley is doing a whole other trilogy. My gut really tells me that Covenant is #2, and then he might do one more that leads directly into Alien.

Yeah i think you're right seeing as how there is not that much time left between Covvie, and Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed