James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Jan 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

Author
James Cameron Talks Alien: Covenant (Read 34,575 times)

Pvt. Himmel

James Cameron Talks Alien Covenant in interview with Vulture.com.   

It's just a short mention about his worries regarding the film!!

Quote On a completely different topic: How do you feel about the upcoming Alien sequel, Alien: Covenant?
The franchise has kind of wandered all over the map. Ridley [Scott] did the first film, and he inspired an entire generation of filmmakers and science-fiction fans with that one movie and there have been so many films that stylistically have derived from it, including my own Aliens, which was the legitimate sequel and, I think, the proper heir to his film. I sort of did it as a fanboy. I wanted to honor his film, but also say what I needed to say. After that, I don't take any responsibility.

I don't think it's worked out terribly well. I think we've moved on beyond it. It's like, okay, we've got it, we've got the whole Freudian biomechanoid meme. I've seen it in 100 horror films since. I think both of those films stand at a certain point in time, as a reference point. But is there any validity to doing another one now? I don't know. Maybe. Let's see, jury's out. Let's see what Ridley comes up with. Let me just add to that — and don't cut this part off, please — I will stand in line for any Ridley Scott movie, even a not-so-great one, because he is such an artist, he's such a filmmaker. I always learn from him. And what he does with going back to his own franchise would be fascinating.     

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/james-cameron-atlantis-rising-alien-covenant.html       

Ingwar

I was jus gonna make new topic of this. You were quicker Pvt. Himmel :)

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

Quote On a completely different topic: How do you feel about the upcoming Alien sequel, Alien: Covenant?
The franchise has kind of wandered all over the map. Ridley [Scott] did the first film, and he inspired an entire generation of filmmakers and science-fiction fans with that one movie and there have been so many films that stylistically have derived from it, including my own Aliens, which was the legitimate sequel and, I think, the proper heir to his film. I sort of did it as a fanboy. I wanted to honor his film, but also say what I needed to say. After that, I don't take any responsibility.

I don't think it's worked out terribly well. I think we've moved on beyond it. It's like, okay, we've got it, we've got the whole Freudian biomechanoid meme. I've seen it in 100 horror films since. I think both of those films stand at a certain point in time, as a reference point. But is there any validity to doing another one now? I don't know. Maybe. Let's see, jury's out. Let's see what Ridley comes up with. Let me just add to that — and don't cut this part off, please — I will stand in line for any Ridley Scott movie, even a not-so-great one, because he is such an artist, he's such a filmmaker. I always learn from him. And what he does with going back to his own franchise would be fascinating.     

http://www.vulture.com/2017/01/james-cameron-atlantis-rising-alien-covenant.html       

As much as he's tried to save face with his last sentence, he's just slighted Ridley Scott. I find the hypocrisy astonishing. News has just come out he's resurrecting Terminator isn't he? f**k off James Cameron, we're not done with Alien but everyone is sure as shit done with Terminator. Now that's milked out.

And didn't he endorse Neil Blomkamp's Aliens sequel script?!

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jan 27, 2017, 06:53:07 PM
Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 27, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

As much as he's tried to save face with his last sentence, he's just slighted Ridley Scott. I find the hypocrisy astonishing. News has just come out he's resurrecting Terminator isn't he? f**k off James Cameron, we're not done with Alien but everyone is sure as shit done with Terminator. Now that's milked out.

And didn't he endorse Neil Blomkamp's Aliens sequel script?!

Yep!!

"He shared it with me, and I think it's a very strong script, and he can go make it tomorrow."

http://screencrush.com/james-cameron-alien-5-screenplay/     

426Buddy

426Buddy

Pretty strange critique imo

Even he was interested in doing another alien film like 10 years back wasn't he? I also think he said that he actually liked AvP as well. Not to mention he had good things to say about Blomkamp's alien script.

Its just a weird thing for him to say.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 27, 2017, 06:47:37 PM
I was jus gonna make new topic of this. You were quicker Pvt. Himmel :)

:)

SuicideDoors

He's bitter as f**k. Fox went back to Ridley Scott to reinvigorate the franchise before Alien 0 became Prometheus, even though Aliens is the most popular entry.

He sure as well wouldn't say it's a worn out concept if Fox would have came crawling to him to resurrect the franchise true and proper.

I wouldn't be surprised if it stings a little when he reads/hears Ridley saying "I can't believe no one asked the question of 'who the hell was the space jockey'?" in relation to the sequels to Alien, either.

All in all, it's supremely annoying to hear James Cameron not only devalue the franchise, but effectively call "us" (the fanbase) unimaginative cause we're still obsessed with it.

NickisSmart

Well, I think it's fair to say, "let's wait and see." Granted, I love the genre and you could make movies about this sort of thing forever and potentially produce good films, continually. Not every time, but Alien itself was a retread in so many ways but took it's tired, cliched material and elevated it with a hive-mind, organic, group effort from a corpus of writers and artists, all of whom were very talented. It's not the ingredients, nor the cooks, but both, and how former are combined by the latter to produce something out of household materials.

oduodu

I am starting to get more and more respect for Cameron. He makes a fair  point when he says : "is there any point in doing another one" . I assume he means another "alien" movie. ie facehuggers eggs big chap etc. And I think no . He sounds sincere to me.

Hopefully we will have the Bad angels " bad boys get the girls" movie after Covvie .

You know you can't really blame Scott he has to make a movie that puts bums on seats. With Prometheus a lot of misdirection as to what the movie was going to be and now as other have stated an over compensation.
Let's hope Alien: Lucifer hets greenlit in this year!!

BishopShouldGo

Lovin' Cameron's words.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

That show about Atlantis looks interesting.

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Jan 27, 2017, 06:53:07 PM
As much as he's tried to save face with his last sentence, he's just slighted Ridley Scott.

I don't believe anything there can be read as a personal insult against Scott (unless you're of the view the guy has never done a mediocre film).

QuoteNews has just come out he's resurrecting Terminator isn't he? f**k off James Cameron, we're not done with Alien but everyone is sure as shit done with Terminator. Now that's milked out.

The rights are automatically reverting back to him, that's all. He may or may not serve as a producer on the next one, should it occur.

Nothing about 'The Terminator' is "milked out". The series just hasn't been handled right since his last one.

QuoteHe's bitter as f**k. Fox went back to Ridley Scott to reinvigorate the franchise before Alien 0 became Prometheus, even though Aliens is the most popular entry.

How do you figure he's bitter? He's the one who's repeatedly said he's not interested in helming one.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/07/18/james-cameron-unlikely-return-another-alien-film/

QuoteHe sure as well wouldn't say it's a worn out concept if Fox would have came crawling to him to resurrect the franchise true and proper.

I'm sure he would, actually. He's never been shy of thinking that - and many fans would agree.

Whether or not someone will reinvigorate it, who can say? Don't think he's ever been asked about the 'Alien Isolation' game. I'd imagine that he would consider that beautiful.

QuoteI wouldn't be surprised if it stings a little when he reads/hears Ridley saying "I can't believe no one asked the question of 'who the hell was the space jockey'?" in relation to the sequels to Alien, either.

Why? Cameron was handed an idea the producers wanted him to undertake. The only thing he's mentioned feeling annoyed by, was in it stating, "And then some other bullshit happens," because he felt that was insulting to the original project's source material.

QuoteAll in all, it's supremely annoying to hear James Cameron not only devalue the franchise, but effectively call "us" (the fanbase) unimaginative cause we're still obsessed with it.

He doesn't say anything about the fandom being unimaginative. He's asked his thoughts on the future of the series and literally says, "I don't know. Maybe. Let's see, jury's out. Let's see what Ridley comes up with."

In what possible way is that controversial? He's verbally shrugging his shoulders because there have been so many duds over the years. That's the view most cinema-goers tend to express. Will 'Covenant' reverse that trend? We'll just have to wait and see how it's like. That's what he says, too. If it's not much better than 'Prometheus', then a lot of us are going to feel increasingly cynical about what's ahead.

Infected

I find his words dissrespectful in a covered way.

Talking like that over the alien franchise and at the same time making kiddy stuff like Avatar, yeah right James.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: oduodu on Jan 27, 2017, 08:30:48 PM
I am starting to get more and more respect for Cameron. He makes a fair  point when he says : "is there any point in doing another one" . I assume he means another "alien" movie. ie facehuggers eggs big chap etc. And I think no . He sounds sincere to me.

Not sure how that statement makes you respect him more, especially since almost every post has pointed out how hypocritical that statement makes him considering his previous statements on the franchise.

He had no problem with a sequel to aliens just last july. "He shared it with me, and I think it's a very strong script, and he can go make it tomorrow."

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Infected on Jan 27, 2017, 08:46:19 PM
I find his words dissrespectful in a covered way.

Talking like that over the alien franchise and at the same time making kiddy stuff like Avatar, yeah right James.

I agree.

Xenomorphine you're entitled to your opinion as well.

SiL

SiL

Jesus Christ, some of you are taking this so personally. Calm your damn tits, people!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed