Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM

Author
Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim" (Read 41,679 times)

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 22, 2017, 05:01:50 AM
I still think we will eventually see Blomkamp make an 'ALIEN' movie of some description.  Maybe he'll direct the sequel to 'ALIEN: Covenant'.  I can see that happening.  He does have a technical sensibility that really suits the Universe but for God's sake he needs to get away from the whole alternate 'ALIEN 3' idea. 

It's too bad he wasn't around 30 years ago for his proposal.  That would have been appropriate back then.

-Windebieste.

Scott is attached to 3 projects after Covenant, so if Fox wants to get it out quicker, than they can always get Blomkamp if Scott wants to do his other films first. Though Blomkamp will also have to finish The Gone World.

windebieste

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 22, 2017, 05:48:15 AM
I remember when people were saying that Star Wars 7 would never happen. 

Worst movie in the whole 'Star Wars' series. 

I mean, really.  While episodes 1-3 have their problems, they still offer a compelling narrative component that leads into episodes 4-6.  It's a set of 6 movies that ultimately have a single and complete story arc - and that arc is basically 'The Rise and Redemption of Darth Vader'.  That's the net value of that entire pair of trilogies and ep.7 desparately attempts to dovetail into it but it fails because it's so disconnected.

Ep. 7 is a rehash of everything that's gone before, except it takes place 30 years after the closing moments of the 6th movie and a tenuous reason for doing so - bring back old actors to reprise roles they haven't played for decades. 

It's a garbage movie when it comes down to the most important component - the story.

'Rogue One' is a much better movie.  One of the key reasons is because it focuses on a fresh narrative with new characters and doesn't desperately shoe horn the story around aging characters.  'Rogue One' is a triumph in this regard because it demonstrates there is no need for a retcon if you want value adding to the Universe. 

I'd rather watch the 'ALIEN' equivalent of 'Rogue One' than bring back (deceased) characters just one more time.  There's nothing to be gained by doing that.  A movie that runs parallel to the events of 'ALIEN 3' featuring USCM combating Aliens is much more welcome. 

Something along the lines of 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines' (but not shit) is the way to go.

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

I honestly never thought we'd get Alien:Covenant only 4 years out of Prometheus. There's likely going to be at least one, maybe two sequels as well. Plus I wasn't feeling the alien 5 thing. If alien is to be taken serious it can't be all marvel like and just resurrect characters because they can.

klesk4ever

As much as I would like to see Blomkamp's Alien, I would hate another "we cloned Rippley from alien blood" BS.

If FOX want's to make Alien movie with Rippley, Newt and Hicks, then they should have the balls to proclaim that Alien 3 is not-cannon and finnaly make an effort to make an unbroken cannon for Alien franchise.

P.S. that game... Alien Colonial Marines... it was proclaimed cannon by Fox, and it has such bad plot holes that  black-holes look like kinder-garden in comparison.

Lonely Universe

Well, it's over. Hope just died for the franchise. No matter where these prequels go we all know it ends with superhero Ripley.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: klesk4ever on Jan 22, 2017, 03:52:04 PM
P.S. that game... Alien Colonial Marines... it was proclaimed cannon by Fox, and it has such bad plot holes that  black-holes look like kinder-garden in comparison.

No they cannon-balled it.

It's no longer the cannonz.

RIP Turk.

Gazz

Good to hear.

Scorpio

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 22, 2017, 06:36:48 AM

Worst movie in the whole 'Star Wars' series. 

I mean, really.  While episodes 1-3 have their problems, they still offer a compelling narrative component that leads into episodes 4-6.  It's a set of 6 movies that ultimately have a single and complete story arc - and that arc is basically 'The Rise and Redemption of Darth Vader'.  That's the net value of that entire pair of trilogies and ep.7 desparately attempts to dovetail into it but it fails because it's so disconnected.

Ep. 7 is a rehash of everything that's gone before, except it takes place 30 years after the closing moments of the 6th movie and a tenuous reason for doing so - bring back old actors to reprise roles they haven't played for decades. 

It's a garbage movie when it comes down to the most important component - the story.

'Rogue One' is a much better movie.  One of the key reasons is because it focuses on a fresh narrative with new characters and doesn't desperately shoe horn the story around aging characters.  'Rogue One' is a triumph in this regard because it demonstrates there is no need for a retcon if you want value adding to the Universe. 

I'd rather watch the 'ALIEN' equivalent of 'Rogue One' than bring back (deceased) characters just one more time.  There's nothing to be gained by doing that.  A movie that runs parallel to the events of 'ALIEN 3' featuring USCM combating Aliens is much more welcome. 

Something along the lines of 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines' (but not shit) is the way to go.

-Windebieste.

TBH I lost interest in Star Wars after they molested the original trilogy with CGI.  Almost unwatchable now. 

Rogue One was pretty boring except for the special effects and nostalgia.  I liked the girl in The Force Awakens more as well, at least she had personality.

But I like what you're saying, a Colonial Marines movie with new characters might actually be good.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Sad news as i would have loved to see that story.

BishopShouldGo

Lol but neill is the f**king director.

oberonqa

He could have put forth this response in order to garner a response, much like he did back in 2015 by releasing the concept art... with the ultimate goal of having the fans put pressure on 20th Century Fox by showing that there is a demand/need to see this film completed. 

Lightning struck once... maybe it'll strike again.  I sure hope so, as I was really looking forward to this and it's a gut punch to say the least to see this come across my Facebook feed.  :(

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: oberonqa on Jan 23, 2017, 12:31:26 PM
He could have put forth this response in order to garner a response, much like he did back in 2015 by releasing the concept art... with the ultimate goal of having the fans put pressure on 20th Century Fox by showing that there is a demand/need to see this film completed. 

The thought had crossed my mind. And I can't fault them. Weaver has been trying to keep the interest alive and assuming this gains any traction, it might work again for them.

I'm gutted for everyone who was looking forward to this. I'm in 2 minds about this as I wasn't thrilled about a retcon but I'm always excited to see more Alien up on the big screen and would have loved to have seen Biehn rocking a Pulse Rifle again.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 22, 2017, 05:01:50 AMIt's too bad he wasn't around 30 years ago for his proposal.  That would have been appropriate back then.

-Windebieste.

Not that I'm displeased with Fincher's attempt but I have to recognize the mess the film went through.
They had someone at the time that could have done a marvelous job too I think: David Twohy.
It would have fit perfectly between the line of ALIEN and ALIENS (somehow what ALIEN³ did in a way).

I'm kinda glad about it to be honest, I've never liked Blomkamp's film beside District 9 which was good but nothing groundbreaking either. Elysium and Chappie were both mediocre films in my opinion. I disliked almost everything in that movies going from Artistic Direction, cinematography, acting, story...
Sure the guy does manage to make alternative Sci Fi compared to what hollywood is flooding us with Comic book film and Star Wars. But it's nothing really fresh either to be honest.

PS: I still think Star Wars I-III were the real masterpiece. It's like THX 1138 in real life with actors trapped on the movie set forced to face a blue wall (it's all they've got). And the way Politic is treated in it with how democracy fails is absolutely marvelous. IV-VI did not have anything to go for beside the pop corn ride most people go for in a film. Sure they are good, but I think the prequels pushed really hard what Georges was thinking. They are more reflective of Lucas thoughts which tend to piss some. I understand, most people going for a Sci Fi / Space Opera film don't expect to have philosophy / politic blended within it has the core concept. Well I may be wrong, people liked Matrix after all  ::)

Kimo

Does not shock me.  :-[ Definitely would of loved to see what he would of done with alien5, because his films are visually nice to look at, and he knows how to use CGI correctly. The only thing that put me off was him bringing Ripley, Hicks, Newt and maybe Bishop back from the dead.. I would rather have new story with new characters.

Anyhow, he said "Slim" so the still could be a tiny possibility he could end up doing something with the Alien(s) movies, in the future. I personally would love him to do something with the Terminator and Robocop franchise, since them movies have turned to shit, and I can see him doing something good with them. One thing about Blomkamp he knows how to bring Robots and Weapons on the screen and make them look visually stunning. Just keep him away from script writing.

newbeing

Blomkamp is an incredible visual director, and District 9 is one of my favorite Sci-Fi films of the past decade, but his last few films have ranged from mediocre to down right embarrassing. So I'm pretty relieved to hear that this might be on hold indefinitely. The concept seemed interesting, but without a more experienced screenwriter I had very little hope for the project.

Side note, I wonder if Gareth Edwards would be up for doing an Alien film  :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed