Michael Fassbender Talks David's Character Development

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 19, 2017, 04:10:56 PM

Author
Michael Fassbender Talks David's Character Development (Read 22,142 times)

Corporal Hicks

Michael Fassbender talks David’s character development in a new interview with the Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Fassbender fields some questions about David’s progression as a character from Prometheus to Alien: Covenant, explaining that:

“I knew that David was the idea of a prototype, and what would happen if you could have a robot that could essentially have human traits to it? That vanity was there with David, and that was an interesting characteristic to play with, within an AI or android or synthetic or robot. I knew that I could have a lot of fun with that. There's also a neediness to him, there's also very much a butler element to him, a need to please. There were a lot of things there that were ambiguous in terms of what his motivations were, and that's always something fun to play with. So that now, as I said, he's evolved. Those characteristics were set, so now let's see what happens to them years later when they come upon him again.

That was definitely the upsetting thing for I think other members of the crew — the fact that he had these human traits as opposed to a very sort of logical, straightforward robot that is there to serve. There's an element to David which is very self-serving.”

Michael Fassbender explains that David has developed more human traits since Prometheus.

Fassbender also talks a little about his other character, Walter, reaffirming what he previously said about Walter being an updated model.

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

Pvt. Himmel

:o

Good find, as always. :)

Corporal Hicks

Likely from the same junket. Nothing much to this one: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/movies/michael-fassbender-talks-box-office-setbacks-and-criminal-enterprises.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

QuoteYou're working with Ridley Scott for the third time on "Alien: Covenant," after "Prometheus" and "The Counselor." You've also worked with Mr. Kurzel twice and Steve McQueen three times. What do you get out of working with directors multiple times?

It's great when you're on the same wavelength. It makes things a lot easier. Also, to have fun at work is key for me. I work quite a bit, so I like to enjoy the experience. When you come across people who are like-minded and you can have fun, then you want to do it again.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Do you recall the number of times an been cast in multiple parts and faced off a doppelganger. Its pulled off with ease with today's technology, such examples include Data and a copy of him in Star Trek Nemesis, the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie The 6th Day where he's cloned. Nicholas Cage as Charlie Kaufman and his Twin brother in Adaptation. Ewan McGregor's character and his clone in The Island. The Winklevoss Twins in The Social Network. Sure there's many other examples I've missed. Hopefully there's scene with David Interacting with Walter. I heard a rumor somewhere that David carries out an experiment with Engineer bio engineering technology that he uses to mutate Walter into the classic Bio mechanoid Xenomorph.

Corporal Hicks

*triggered* That report was bullshit, I'm afraid.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 19, 2017, 08:23:09 PM
*triggered* That report was bullshit, I'm afraid.

That's a relief, uncertain as to whether or not Scott intends to introduce an explanation/Evolution/Origin for the Alien.

Corporal Hicks

I've no doubt that is where the series is going to end - detailing the creation of the Alien. That particular avenue was a load of shit though. To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing like that in Covenant.

BishopShouldGo

It will be interesting to see how he's going to stretch that material out for four more hours. I mean by the end of Covenant, Ridley assured us we're going to see the Big Chap.

Ingwar

I honestly cannot wait to see David vs Walter scenes.

echobbase79

Really this aspect of the Covenant is what I'm really looking forward. It will be interesting to see how far he's come from the last film. I think he'll be a lot of more creepier. For me David was the best thing about Prometheus.

acrediblesource

I can only guess that David doesn't sew on a new body or by getting a body which was referred to in a synopsis, it is really meant that he forms a secret consciousness with Walter through an internal mechanism. David may exist but only in Walter's mind.

whiterabbit

Butler eh, so what if David is free to choose his own master and decided to serve the Aliens instead of Man.

The Bonus Situation

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 19, 2017, 10:51:02 PM

Really this aspect of the Covenant is what I'm really looking forward. It will be interesting to see how far he's come from the last film. I think he'll be a lot of more creepier. For me David was the best thing about Prometheus.

Same here. I just sincerely hope that they don't go the 'David created the Xenomorph, as we know it' route.

Enoch

Whatever that mural in the pyramid represents (on LV-223), its a great hint that Xeno is older than primordial.
Its not a question of its age, but more a question of what iteration is older and what version is newer in its origin,
because there are many kinds of xenomorphs. Thats why I always liked the introduction of black goo, goo is like
deus ex machina, a true literary tool which can have its purpose to hint Xenos true origin and nature/purpose.
Hint at what goo is and you ll indirectly reveal a bit of Xeno puzzle, but never to its entirety, because thats the magic.
Have the knowledge, but not knowing the whole damn thing.

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: The Bonus Situation on Jan 19, 2017, 11:38:00 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 19, 2017, 10:51:02 PM

Same here. I just sincerely hope that they don't go the 'David created the Xenomorph, as we know it' route.
Prepare yourself because they more than likely will.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed