LIndelof and Spaihts were they used correctly and were lessons learned.

Started by oduodu, Jan 10, 2017, 09:21:33 AM

You must choose one out of 1 to 4. Then 1 out of 5 to 6 . Then click only 7 and 8 when you are answering yes.  You can vote 4 options and can change your vote . No time limit.

Lindelof for ideas and story no Spaihts
Lindelof for ideas and Spaihts for story
Lindelof for story and Spaihts for ideas
Spaihts for story and ideas no Lindelof
Spaihts First and then Lindelof
Lindelof First then Spaihts
Would you have used a third writer for polishing the script in Prometheus?
Do you think that the lessons learned from Prometheus has found Its Way into Covenant in terms the of script by way of using 2 creative writers for a combined story ideas session and then Logan as an out and out writer? .
Author
LIndelof and Spaihts were they used correctly and were lessons learned. (Read 1,303 times)

oduodu

oduodu

This is in response to a video recently posted in the fan review section that claims that Lindelof is  an ideas man and Spaihts is a writer.

From 56:35

Thanks to those who linked it.

I heard it was the other way around just after the movies release .

Were these 2 individuals incorrectly utilised?

Any ways what do you guys think.?

If LIndelof was used initially for the ideas and Spaihts for writing what do you think would have resulted  ? I am not aware of any ideas LIndelof added.

And finally do you think Greene Paglen (as ideas men) and Logan (purely as a writer) was in response to this ie. Making sure the writing was properly done ? 

OpenMaw

The proper way to utilize Lindelof is not at all.

oduodu

Isn't there a case that Prometheus never really had a good writer on the finishing of the script?  I just don't think Scott alone is to blame for that. At least I hope.

Prometheus lacked a proper writer on the finishing of the script. Yes - Lindelof bad choice.

Richman678

Theres 2 people to blame for Prometheus. The first, and main responsible person is Ridley Scott. I'm sorry to say this, but when you get down to it this is 100% Ridley's fault.

Yes Damon Lindeloff is the other guilty party, but all he does is write the story, and pitch ideas. It's Ridley Scott's fault for going with it.

The proof is the scene at the end where the Engineer wakes up.....and then just kills everyone. It's a terrible scene that logically dosnt make sense. Here is something for your consideration. By the way I'm not the author of this youtube video...but I did watch it, and find it hard to disagree with.

Ingwar

Both out!

There're one of the worst modern screen writers in Hollywood. Utterly overrated.

Richman678

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 02, 2017, 10:07:50 PM
Both out!

There're one of the worst modern screen writers in Hollywood. Utterly overrated.

Well I am not a Lindeloff fan. I also read Spaiths wrote that Passengers movie which got very poor reviews. I have not seen it though.

So you actually might be right.

oduodu

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 02, 2017, 10:07:50 PM
Both out!

Why couldn't fox see this ?

Quote from: Richman678 on Feb 02, 2017, 07:43:19 PM
Theres 2 people to blame for Prometheus. The first, and main responsible person is Ridley Scott. I'm sorry to say this, but when you get down to it this is 100% Ridley's fault.

Yes Damon Lindeloff is the other guilty party, but all he does is write the story, and pitch ideas. It's Ridley Scott's fault for going with it.

The proof is the scene at the end where the Engineer wakes up.....and then just kills everyone. It's a terrible scene that logically dosnt make sense. Here is something for your consideration. By the way I'm not the author of this youtube video...but I did watch it, and find it hard to disagree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UykrRMIXjI8

The point of this thread is not to blame someone just for the sake of it but to try and understand if the mistakes from Prometheus was noted and if it was taken into consideration for Covvie.

I totally agree with the video but then ask to you remember that video I link initially asks if "Lindelof really is that good a writer?" Combine this with Spaihts script and what originally was intended and you see how things were just written into Prometheus that was completely taken out of context and no new context was given for why IT happened.  That's LIndelof for you .

The question this thread asks is if Scott learned from this . 2 ideas men and no genuine writer to polish it and if covenant was an over correction of that.

So yes I agree that Scott and Lindelof is to blame for the shooting script we got but I am not sure that Scott alone must be blamed for Lindelof's inclusion. I also don't think that Scott was going to oppose Lindelof for lazy writing as the whole pint of LIndelof was to do what he did on Lost. So what's the point for Scott  of saying to LIndelof: this doesn't sound right or logical if that's the primary reason Lindelof was hired?  To do what he did on Lost? Wouldn't Scott then be opposing fox? 

So yes I agree with your assessment of who is to blame for the shooting script and the nature of it. But I think there were extenuating circumstances that at the very least should make Scott's actions be seen as not completely his own.

Richman678

Well since he didn't re-hire Spaiths or Lindeloff then I would say that he has learned not to use them specifically. He made The Martian since then, and it was really good. However, he also made that Exodus movie which wasn't great.

Ridley is always gonna keep you guessing.The new writing team might throw out a bunch of ideas that make no sense, but Ridley decides to use them like he did in Prometheus. However, he might have gotten his magic back with The Martian being a great movie.

That being said remember when the Star Wars Prequels came out and we didnt like the first one and knew the 2nd one would be better...then we didnt like the 2nd one and knew for sure the 3rd would be better...then the 3rd one came out and while it was the best of the 3 it was pretty underwhelming?????? Well don't get your hopes up for Covenant. I cant even name one time a movie came out which was considered not good, and the sequel came by the same director and it was all of a sudden amazing. I'm just trying to be realistic. I love the Alien movies, and I really hope Covenant blows everyone away.

oduodu

oduodu

Good point. Its good to be realistic. Especially since its Scott. He is a bit unpredictable.

I am not getting my hopes up for Covvie either.

I like to speculate and also to consider all possibilities. As such I have wondered what happened with Prometheus and who decided what etc.

When I saw the video I linked above the first time it was the first time someone gave an analysis of Prometheus that really made me understand what people didn't like about the movie other than the illogical character behaviour .

Its like : gosh this is Fox not a small high school video production project and no one there seemed to notice thee most important part of all: the script ?  Did the alien prequel not deserve a decent writer to polish the script? Did this writer understand the original source material? Did Fox bother to check if Scott knew the original source material? I sometimes wonder if he does. People on the production of Prometheus pleaded with Scott not to reveal the mystery of the Jockey but he wouldn't listen. It just feels like no one really sat down and looked at the whole thing and considered what made the first movie so great and exploring the mysteries of the alien and jockey in way that was deserving and respectful not rip out the heart and soul of what made original so great.

Please understand I do agree that Scott should take most of the blame for the script. But I feel the story - making it our story was a big mistake . The original space jockey was never a human or human predecessor. Why would people have pleaded with him to not reveal the mystery of the space jockey?

Maybe Scott should never have been given a chance to decide the story. 

OpenMaw

The problem comes in when you have the ticking clock and people changing their minds. The final film as edited is a mish mash of ideas, hanging threads, and a whole shit load of stuff that just does not add up.

Two distinct screenplays. Two distinct writing voices. Ridley Scott going back and forth. Fox going back and forth, and a ticking clock.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed