USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant.

Started by Anthony, Jan 08, 2017, 08:39:45 PM

Author
USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant. (Read 21,677 times)

razeak

Considering the vast difference in appearance of real world weapons, I'm not bothered by this one. It's not anything special IMO, but hardly a worthwhile complaint. It looks like a modern weapon with some dress up.

PsyKore

It was really the sound effects of the Pulse Rifle and Smart Gun that caught your attention and cemented that they were futuristic.

motherfather

Would a colonization ship have sooo many weapons though? Does the ISS? Did any of the "isolation pods" experiments designed to simulate long time periods of colonization on Mars?

The clues so far seem to point a highly weaponized/ militarized mission. Some weapons, fine sure, absolutely neccessary, but I think the movie would be more interesting if the weapons are more scarce so the crew eventually runs out of ammo/gets separated from them/has to be imaginative and creative with available resources- allowing more options for special effects.

Part of the appeal of A L I E N, at least to me, is the lead character having to come up with ways of eradicating/containing the Alien with available strategies and equipment.

Cat and mouse is an age old technique to bring intensity and suspense to a movie. With quite a few crew members running around with weapons, I do hope my fears of a suspense-less shoot em up movie are unfounded. 

Master

Nostromo is tow vessel. It's not supposed to stop or land anywhere, chance no guns (though they had few).  Covenant is colony ship. It's main purpose is to land somewhere. Hostile creatures or pirates are small but still a possibility and guns should be available. Hell, even for prevention forces of new forming community,  guns are necessary.

OpenMaw

Yeah, Covenant is carrying presumably a small town worth of people in cryostasis, plus all the supplies, to a new planet. They'll need security/police/military and those people will need weapons.

whiterabbit

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 10, 2017, 08:35:01 AM
Yeah, Covenant is carrying presumably a small town worth of people in cryostasis, plus all the supplies, to a new planet. They'll need security/police/military and those people will need weapons.
Especially the bit about uncharted worlds. It makes sense that they would have some firepower.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Hemi on Jan 09, 2017, 08:17:13 PM
Wasn't there a picture with Frost and racks of modern guns in the back that weren't pulse rifles?

Yeah, they've got M4s and SA80s in the background but they're only background filler material. Granted, the pistols used were modern at the time too but the VP70 wasn't a massively well known pistol, I don't think.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 10, 2017, 08:43:05 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 10, 2017, 08:35:01 AM
Especially the bit about uncharted worlds. It makes sense that they would have some firepower.

I don't think there's any questioning the need for some kind of protection. They'll need their own police force for when they get established, in case any dodgy folk crop up in the population and as whiterabbit says, who knows what they'll find out there. Makes complete sense they'd be equipped with some kind of weaponry.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 10, 2017, 08:49:16 AM
Yeah, they've got M4s and SA80s in the background but they're only background filler material. Granted, the pistols used were modern at the time too but the VP70 wasn't a massively well known pistol, I don't think.

The Veep was chosen because it had a vaguely futuristic look to it, which actually blends pretty nicely with the Smartgun and Pulse Rifle.  It was also not that well known, and at the time was no longer in production anyway. So, no strong zeitgeist.

Having M4 pattern rifles and Aug's front and center seems really really odd. Surely they could have kitted them up with a little fireglass casing to hide some of the design? Eh...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 10, 2017, 08:54:56 AM
Having M4 pattern rifles and Aug's front and center seems really really odd. Surely they could have kitted them up with a little fireglass casing to hide some of the design? Eh...

I feel the same. I know it's not a massive deal and most folk wont even care but I think those at do just a certain expectation for some slightly dressed up weaponry.

a bit twitchy

a bit twitchy

I guess it's already been mentioned, but if not ... it does seem to be exactly like the production shot of Ripley in Aliens when she's firing everything she's got into the Queen's egg sack. Even down to the lighting filters used and facial expression. I guess as the guns look like replicas it's going to be hard to buy these props from props store if you're in the UK.

Anonymous

Anonymous

You just named the number one movie I would make if I were in a position to, "Mad Jack".  Totally amazing story.

cliffhanger

Quote from: cliffhanger on Jan 09, 2017, 06:14:28 PM
is it me, or does it look like the black spots are having smoke coming off of them?

could it actually be that it's the very moment david shoots off some stuff on the local residents which causes them to die and perhaps even vaporise?

i''ll repeat.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: cliffhanger on Jan 10, 2017, 06:36:56 PM
Quote from: cliffhanger on Jan 09, 2017, 06:14:28 PM
is it me, or does it look like the black spots are having smoke coming off of them?

could it actually be that it's the very moment david shoots off some stuff on the local residents which causes them to die and perhaps even vaporise?

i''ll repeat.

Please don't ugh!!

Kronnang_Dunn

This is my prediction: Covenant will be to Aliens what Prometheus was to Alien. Daniels will be Ripley. Shaw will be Newt. Walther will be Bishop. And David 8 will be Burke...  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jan 09, 2017, 05:41:35 PM
Quote from: Prvt Ryan74 on Jan 09, 2017, 05:20:17 PM
Nobody notice the earplug in her......ear?

That'll either be part of the narrative (Which would make sense considering the trailer), or is just for the noise of the prop gun firing blanks.

I only just realized what you meant here. You're suggesting that if the ear plugs aren't just due to firing the weapon, perhaps they were done as a deliberate attempt to stop the spores from getting into their ears?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed