USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant.

Started by Anthony, Jan 08, 2017, 08:39:45 PM

Author
USA Today's 2017 Movie preview includes new photo from Covenant. (Read 21,662 times)

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 09, 2017, 10:29:12 AM
I think it's the same location.

Just noticed that Daniels holds different weapon.

Different Alien types calls for different weapon types!! ;)

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Bonus Situation on Jan 09, 2017, 10:11:24 AM
Daniels: "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!"

:D

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 08, 2017, 09:02:56 PM
"The comments largely covers what Katherine Waterston has already said in the past about Daniels' character developments and any similarities between her character and Ripley."

There shouldn't be any comparisons between Ripley and  Daniels or indeed any new female character in general, its not good for development or for fandom opinion of said character, originality is the way to go, no one should try to emulate Ripley because it will fail and fans will hate that character for being a carbon copy. Lex and that one from Requiem anyone?

Tis a nice picture though.

I don't know man, Lex didn't seem anything like Ripley to me. I mean just because she's a female lead it doesn't automatically turn her into a Ripley clone. Especially Shaw, so many people are yelling that she is a Ripley clone, its ridiculous. They're totally different characters IMHO.

Lex was portrayed as a strict by the book type like Ripley was in the first Alien film, they are not Ripley clones but some of the these female leads, not all of course, have some form of similarities when they shouldn't, it spoils the originality and the potential for a character to become iconic in their own right....not that anyone in AVP would ever be iconic.

It is like how videos games with colonial marines keep trying to emulate the laid back bad-asses of Aliens, complete with similar personalities. Homage are not always good and can come off as a cheap nostalgia trick.

Dirty Harry

I'm a bit disappointed. This gun is nothing like the concepts that have appeared in both alien and aliens. It's a shame that Scott chose to stay away from the visual language of the first film and have opted for those more modernized visuals.

Master

Well, I'd prefere something bigger and meaner. Don't get me wrong, it's cool looking gun, but generic and it probably won't be remembered.

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Master on Jan 09, 2017, 04:10:10 PM
Well, I'd prefere something bigger and meaner. Don't get me wrong, it's cool looking gun, but generic and it probably won't be remembered.

Maybe that's the point...

Master

426Buddy

Ridleys Alien and Prometheus were never about the weapons, sure the flamethrower looks good enough in Alien, but we never even saw the laser blaster in action.

These weapons look practical and real and I bet that's really the only thing Scott wanted.

Master

Ok. But there's nothing good in generic look. Story or not, visuals are important.

426Buddy

Quote from: Master on Jan 09, 2017, 04:33:53 PM
Ok. But there's nothing good in generic look. Story or not, visuals are important.

Looks good to me, they look really good actually imo.

Its just not going to be one the top things you remember about the film like the Pulse Rifle and Smart Gun were for Aliens. The guns were important enough to Cameron to make them a big part of film, no alien film before or since has really done that or wanted to.

The Cruentus

Disagree, visuals is not everything, that is superficial. Practicality of the weapons would be a higher priority methinks.

BishopShouldGo

Yeah I think the "gun" film is going to be Neill's. Ridley's more concerned with David and the alien's genesis.

Ingwar

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 09, 2017, 04:46:13 PM

Disagree, visuals is not everything, that is superficial. Practicality of the weapons would be a higher priority methinks.

Master is right. Visuals are important. No question about that.

The Cruentus is right. Visuals are not everything (Master wrote that they're important no that they're everything). No question about that.

I like those weapons. They look practical and solid. I don't need anything else.

Prvt Ryan74

Prvt Ryan74

Nobody notice the earplug in her......ear?

RidgeTop

Quote from: Prvt Ryan74 on Jan 09, 2017, 05:20:17 PM

That'll either be part of the narrative (Which would make sense considering the trailer), or is just for the noise of the prop gun firing blanks.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jan 09, 2017, 05:41:35 PM
Quote from: Prvt Ryan74 on Jan 09, 2017, 05:20:17 PM

That'll either be part of the narrative (Which would make sense considering the trailer), or is just for the noise of the prop gun firing blanks.

Most likely!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed