Can Predator stand alone without Alien?

Started by demonbane, Jan 08, 2017, 03:58:11 PM

Author
Can Predator stand alone without Alien? (Read 3,068 times)

demonbane

Quote from: SM on Jan 20, 2017, 10:13:33 AM
I think that's more down to the relative lack of popularity.
Yet, it still managed to hop on COD: Ghost and Mortal Kombat X.
I don't think Predator: Concrete Jungle can be used as an excuse not to try open world Predator game that many fans wanted.
It really depends on courage of developers. There are cases of developers managing to bring small franchise to big status.
I feel it is more to do with lack of gut from developers.

I have some ideas to expand Predator mytho. I wish I could give them to whoever is in charge of the franchise.

klesk4ever

In the AvP Predator did gain a lot, and Alien had lost a lot.

The thing is, Predator franchise (the movies) has really limited expanded universe, all three movies are non connected, first movie has just one predator, second has several predators, predator ship, and scene showing trophy skulls of multiple species, and only the third one (that was shot after the AvP) starts to expand the things a bit more with multiple fractions, sub-species... it sets the grounds for a bit more deeper universe.

The Alien franchise on the other hand (again the movies) has a really deep expanded universe, with the company, the space marines, colonies.... etc.etc.

AvP really did had potential to enrich both franchises, the game Alien vs Predator 2 really worked, and it worked just great. And the best part of the game wasn't Predator or Alien campaign it was when playing from the colonial marine perspective.

If the movie wasn't about the Alien vs Predator, but about colonial marines trying to survive all that mess... that would have a potential to make a awesome movie.

However the movies have settings and characters that are simply there as an excuse for getting Aliens and Predators to brawl like idiots.

After that failed POS it's best to have Alien and Predator going their separate way.

Bunch of Predator fans feel butthurt for making AvP non-cannon, but it is for the best.

Scorpio

Brawling with an alien should not possible, since an alien has no muscles it's a biomechanical insect like creature.  An ant (for example) can lift many times its body weight, so relative to its size an ant is stronger than any flesh creature.  Predator is basically a 7 foot tall bodybuilder.  So the notion of WWE fights is silly unless these aliens were genetically modified 60% human dna / 40% alien dna or something.

SM

SM

Quote from: demonbane on Jan 22, 2017, 12:27:56 PM
I don't think Predator: Concrete Jungle can be used as an excuse not to try open world Predator game that many fans wanted.
It really depends on courage of developers. There are cases of developers managing to bring small franchise to big status.

I have some ideas to expand Predator mytho. I wish I could give them to whoever is in charge of the franchise.

It hopped on other franchises like it did on Alien.

Games aren't cheap to produce so you need a guaranteed return to make it worthwhile.

QuoteBrawling with an alien should not possible, since an alien has no muscles it's a biomechanical insect like creature

How does it move without muscles?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2017, 11:24:33 PM

How does it move without muscles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_physiology#Muscular_system

Yes they do have muscles but not in the same way that vertebrates do.

SM

SM

So it's not a vertebrate?

The Alien Predator

System Apollo explains it best why ants can lift so much in another thread.

Quote from: System Apollo on Jan 17, 2017, 03:59:59 AM
Jack Cohen has over 4 decades of experience in biology, is a doctor of Zoology and taught Nobel Peace prize winners. When he says the idea is implausible it isn't some speculation that appeared from thin air.

First of all an ant can lift so much because of it's small size and weight of gravity pushing less on it. Also,
as the size of the ant rises, its body mass would increase at a much greater rate than the cross-section area of muscle. As the ant grows there would be more muscle as to contrast the weight of gravity so it would in this case have more mass to lift. Any carbon (and in this case silicon) based lifeform would have this kind of feature. Essentially, when you look at the creature, it should be slow as hell but this was fixed with later versions of the design.

Another thing, no creature in the animal kingdom bleeds acid. The insect you might be referring to is a beatle that dispels a chemical fluid that is an acid. Big difference here is that it isn't blood. If you find an insect that bleeds acid please let me know and I will stand both fascinated and corrected.

Also the basing things on Earth's ecosystem logic is also systematically incorrect. The building blocks of life follow a principle that remains consistent and biologists are fully aware of such principles. The Alien defies these principles (one of its meritorious qualities) thus making it an implausible creature.

Gilfryd

I mean, you can say all Predators do are hunt people, but you can also say all Aliens do are burst out of people... I think it comes down to how well people think of those 'big films (Alien, Aliens, Predator) and how well made they are. Alien and Aliens are not only called some of the best sci-fi films ever made, but some of the best made in general. As good as the first Predator is it doesn't get that much praise.

SM

SM

Quotebut you can also say all Aliens do are burst out of people...

Except that's not all they do.  They live to survive and propagate and people are thrown in their way and have to try and survive.  Predators (with the exception of Wolf) revolve entirely around hunting.  They need to expand on this to give the Predator a bit more to do.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jan 24, 2017, 05:45:28 AM
Quotebut you can also say all Aliens do are burst out of people...

Except that's not all they do.  They live to survive and propagate and people are thrown in their way and have to try and survive.  Predators (with the exception of Wolf) revolve entirely around hunting.  They need to expand on this to give the Predator a bit more to do.
They're not a homogeneous culture, though - different groups of Predators use different equipment or tactics, fight with each other, disagree on what is or isn't a "worthy" hunt, etc. The better Predator materials are the ones that explore that individuality.

SiL

I liked Cold War for giving the Predators ulterior motives without completely leaping outside of their established traits. It was a nice in-between.

SM

SM

I think I said earlier, make the Predator into the prey as a broad concept.  Last 20 minutes of Predator spread out over 90 minutes.  You can still have all the hunting stuff but it's to survive rather than for sport.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jan 24, 2017, 07:00:01 AM
I think I said earlier, make the Predator into the prey as a broad concept.  Last 20 minutes of Predator spread out over 90 minutes.  You can still have all the hunting stuff but it's to survive rather than for sport.

I've always had this idea in my head, you see a figure running through the fields, through brush, undergrowth, tree lines, being pursued.

Then, WHAM! Something snares the chased, and the hunter is revealed, tearing off a near-futuristic mask. "Gotcha now you sonuvabitch." And we see the chased figure was in fact a predator, now snared in some new trap devised by OWLF types.

demonbane

Quote from: SM on Jan 22, 2017, 11:24:33 PM
Quote from: demonbane on Jan 22, 2017, 12:27:56 PM

It hopped on other franchises like it did on Alien.

Games aren't cheap to produce so you need a guaranteed return to make it worthwhile.

There are cases of developers taking risk much greater than taking on Predator even further.
Big name developers can bring much attention to little known series.

SM

SM

And yet they don't appear to be queuing up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed