Paul Anderson's Alien vs. Predator - AvPGalaxy Podcast #43

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 14, 2016, 12:08:51 AM

Author
Paul Anderson's Alien vs. Predator - AvPGalaxy Podcast #43 (Read 20,635 times)

Pvt. Himmel

Great Podcast, thanks Hicks! 8)

Predatorium

I have it on Bluray with the extended cut, I praise it for faithfully mimmicking the cinematography of Alien and Aliens. The music score is great with it's blend from both franchise. The artic setting is just perfect and the way it's lit and filmed just makes the atmosphere of the movie so thick and cosy alien that I could touch it. The pyramid is a stroke of genius including the predator back story that is revealed within it. The action scenes are well made and entertaining. The story just works. However, the teaming up of the main protagonist and the predator is laughable and kind of breaks it towards the end.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Omegamorph on Dec 14, 2016, 06:08:12 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 14, 2016, 06:02:32 AM
Ouch... True but... OUCH.

I mean, I like the first AVP more than Requiem. Still... OUCH.
Anderson knows how to sick burn

One thing is for sure, he has no idea of how to make good movies.

426Buddy

Got about an hour in lol

Fun listen so far, even if I disagree with a lot or most of the praise.

I think the thread has more love for AvP than any other on the internet, ever  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 14, 2016, 05:45:36 AM
Michelle Rodriguez as Lex?  Way better choice IMO.  Sanaa Lathan is not bad but very vanilla casting.

Yeah, I wasn't a massive fan of the cast of the film, especially Lathan. She felt so flat to me. Lance is, of course, the exception.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 14, 2016, 02:46:34 PM
Got about an hour in lol

Fun listen so far, even if I disagree with a lot or most of the praise.

I think the thread has more love for AvP than any other on the internet, ever  :laugh:

Ha. As long as you're enjoying it.  :laugh: I listened to it in spurts whilst editing so I'm not sure just how balanced it came out in terms of complaining and praising. I do genuinely think there's some good to be found in AvP, obviously, as I talk about it. lol

Perfect-Organism

Listening to this, actually gave me a bit more of an appreciation for this film.  Thanks for a great podcast.

BishopShouldGo

Same here. I actually am motivated to rewatch it. Which is amazing given that I currently disdain it.

Perfect-Organism

I'm going to rewatch it too.  I have no idea what the soundtrack contains, as it went in one ear and out the other.  But seeing as how it was completely original, I am very curious to listen to it again and see if I can appreciate it on its own merits.  The idea of comparing / contrasting Charles Weyland with Peter Weyland will be in the forefront of my mind now as well.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 14, 2016, 10:46:32 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 14, 2016, 02:07:53 AM
And where is it said that Milla and Michelle were offered Lex?

Man, it's been a while! I definitely recall it being reported that way in a number of papers and film-related publications, back at the time. Think Anderson might also reference them both in his commentry, though.

Not sure if they were offered the role, but I do remember them being reported as up for consideration. I strongly suspect it's because of having a pre-existing working relationship with them from the first 'Resident Evil' film.

Quote from: echobbase79 on Dec 14, 2016, 06:20:36 AM
That was kind of FU to all the fans who downed him for making the first AvP the way he wanted to.

I think it was a fairly respectful comment, to be honest. He's not name-calling. The fandom always seems to begrudgingly re-evaluate the previous film when a new one is worse than it hoped for. After 'Resurrection', it began to happen with 'Alien 3'. After Anderson's, it even happened with 'Resurrection'.

I don't think it was a disrespectful comment, but it did seem to have some underlying subtext to it that makes it sound like he's getting something off his chest. Maybe FU was a strong word to use. I know he wasn't bashing the Strause Bros because in that same quote he talks about how he respects them.

Yeah, most of the sequels don't seem so bad in hindsight after a disappointing new film. Though I will say for myself even though I hated AvP at the time, I did think it was better than Resurrection.

Corporal Hicks

From someone on Twitter regarding that awful condom line -

Quote@avpgalaxy Listening to your great podcast on Anderson's AVP.The Gun/Condom line is nicked from True Romance.

https://twitter.com/murray_lothian/status/809411625337978880

Perfect-Organism

I've been using a variation of the condom line in many instances since the film, and it is where I got it from.  For example, I'm going into the forest for a half-hour walk at dusk.  I'm going to bring a flashlight (torch for you UK folks) with me.  My rational: better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.  It's become one of my go-to sayings.

I seriously enjoyed rewatching this movie just now.  It is truly worthy of a spot somewhere in the pantheon of Alien and Predator lore.  I was amazed at just how similar it is to Prometheus, in so many ways.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 15, 2016, 07:29:31 PM
I seriously enjoyed rewatching this movie just now.  It is truly worthy of a spot somewhere in the pantheon of Alien and Predator lore.

This always surprises me, because I feel like often times, I'm the only person in the world... who genuinely likes this movie. I mean years ago, I would say maybe six or even twelve years ago, if anyone came out and said they liked this movie... You'd be made a black sheep and get trolled the hell out of by a few people. Now it's like... more and more people are coming out saying they enjoy it for what it is, a creature-feature, or genuinely like it.

Perfect-Organism

I think that the film has simply aged well.  I admit that I was not a big fan initially, and I do prefer Prometheus, but there is something which resonated with me much better on my last watch of the film.  It really is growing on me.

426Buddy

I've always thought the film had some good eye-candy and some cool stuff going for it.

Unfortunately there is just too much bad for me to actually consider it a good film. Make a few changes and I could have forgiven all of its faults. Just giving the film a darker tone and changing it to take place in space/future would have helped me be more forgiving.

SM

SM

Most Anderson films have an all pervading feeling that you're looking at a set rather than a real environment that the characters inhabit.  As good as some of the stuff in AvP looks, it still often has that 'fake' feeling to it.  Don't touch the wall or the paint will scrape off.

Its depth overall is about as thick as the paint, and most of the characters are non-entities.

Possibly the only thing AvP:R has over AvP is the environment doesn't have that fake feeling to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed