HIDEOUS PLASTIC

Started by windebieste, Dec 08, 2016, 03:23:26 AM

Author
HIDEOUS PLASTIC (Read 21,286 times)

windebieste

windebieste

Some of you already know I'm working on a major Project so now is the time to go public with it.  For the past 18 months I have been writing a book and now I am ready to start talking about it more openly.  So, here it is - the Official announcement and now, here's the details. 

Currently being prepared, 'HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream' is a non-fiction book scheduled for release in late 2017. The book is an extensive and fully detailed investigation into the history, maintenance and continuing legacy of the notorious 18 inch tall Kenner ALIEN action figure released in 1979.  It is comprised of an excess of 200 pages of information and over 180 images.

HIDEOUS PLASTIC comprehensively examines the infamous action figure and is rapidly approaching completion.  An exciting KickStarter campaign supporting its publication will be launched in early 2017. HIDEOUS PLASTIC is an independent publication and is currently not supported, authorised or endorsed by 20th Century Fox or its partners and/or affiliates.   

Please visit www.hideousplastic.com for more information.

More coming soon.  Have fun with that!

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Interesting! Seems like a really interesting and niche item.

Have you looked into Kickstarter? By all accounts that's a whole other ball-game on its own.

windebieste

windebieste

There's quite a lot of interest in the old toy.  I've been doing my own investigation into whether the book is actually viable and if there is a demand for such an item.  Much of my findings are interesting and not all that concrete but my gut feeling says it's there. 

The best figures I can go by, though, is the number of views for the thread I have had running on MegoMuseum.  At this stage, over 13,000 views since January, 2016.  I'd say that's a reasonable amount of interest in the old Big Chap.

KickStarter is definitely in the works.  I need to build up interest in the Project first. Ensure I have the support and launch the campaign sometime next year.  Around March... or something like that.  Word needs to get around first. 

It's briefly outlined on the site in the FAQ.

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

Well shit, sign me up.

Hell, Winde, if the Kickstarter doesn't reach the funds, self-publish. Go on Blurb or something. I'll grab a hardcover :P

windebieste

windebieste

You wanna be signed up?  Sure thing!  Forums are right here.

:P

As for a hardcover edition.  Yep.  Part of the reward system is upgrade to hardcover for all who support any tier that orders a copy of the book.  We'll get to discuss this later. 

Crowd funding isn't just about raising funds - it's also about raising awareness and generating an interested customer base.  It's as much about marketing and distribution as it is about rounding up interested people willing to vote with their wallet.  I have other options available if it doesn't work out - but I'm not aiming at  outlandish sums of money, either.   Enough to get the book published is what I am interested in raising.  Covering publishing and postage costs will do as far as I am concerned.  I'd rather keep the costs down and achieve my goals rather than have the Project fail due to over indulgences on my part. 

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Must 'fess up...

HIDEOUS PLASTIC will also cover news about other 'ALIEN' action figures.  Reviews too. 

While the site's primary focus is to promote and get my book about the old Kenner Big Chap out the door, there's more than enough scope to handle News about the latest 'ALIEN' action figure releases too.  ...oh, and past releases as well.  There's plenty of scope, I tell you, for a site of this nature dedicated solely to action figures from this series. ;D

To visit HIDEOUS PLASTIC, just click on my signature below. 

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Reviewed on HIDEOUS PLASTIC, FUNKOxSuper 7 ALIEN ReAction Figures.

You can leave any feedback on the forum dedicated to all things Hideous, Plastic and Alien.

Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Here's the 'HIDEOUS PLASTIC - REVEAL' video.

The video outlines some of the principal features and content of the 200+ page book to be published sometime late next year:

I owe a special thanks to our own Le Celticant for the custom soundtrack.  Thank you, Sir.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

I've just added the 2nd set of images to the hideousplastic.com image gallery.  Featured in this selection is the 1991 Halcyon ALIEN model kit. 

The Halcyon ALIEN kit is the 3rd iteration of the old Kenner action figure and is obviously derived from the older figure without too much close scrutiny.

Images for this strange and almost forgotten relic, the 1991 Halcyon ALIEN model kit.

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

Do you want a photographer to fly down to you cos I would love to drool on some of your figures. I may or may not take photos as well.

windebieste

windebieste

You're welcome here any time.   ;D  If you come down via Sinny, pick The 'Kore while you're passing through.  If you come from the other direction and pass through the City of Curches, grab E-Man.  We can haz party.  BYO camera and drool.

Here's the third entry into the gallery.  Check it out.  The 24 inch tall Gentle Giant ALIEN action figure.  Yeah.  This thing is Big.  Like a man...  lol.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Added a set of over a dozen images of the outlandish Gentle Giant Silver coated 24 inch tall tribute ALIEN action figure to the website. 

It's much like the glow in the dark item pictured above but coated in silver.

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 17, 2016, 08:23:45 AM
You're welcome here any time.   ;D  If you come down via Sinny, pick The 'Kore while you're passing through.  If you come from the other direction and pass through the City of Curches, grab E-Man.  We can haz party.  BYO camera and drool.
I'd by flying down from the Goldie.

Mrcreosote

Mrcreosote

This looks like brilliance given form, always enjoy reading your posts winde!!

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

It would be interesting to see how long the chrome-plated Alien keeps his finish before deterioration sets in.Hopefully you won't find out in a long time.Useful info for a future reprint of your book.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed