HIDEOUS PLASTIC

Started by windebieste, Dec 08, 2016, 03:23:26 AM

Author
HIDEOUS PLASTIC (Read 21,917 times)

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Nearly 40 years later and IMO nothing comes close to the original 1979 creature design. The thing was ahead of it's time.

windebieste

windebieste

I first saw the movie in 1979.  It still has a hold on me.  Largely because of that creature design, how it was lit, the movement and composition in each frame it appears in... There's an unmatchable technical and artistic combination that no one will recapture.  They've tried.  Oh, how they've tried; but that first movie struck a resonance deep within its audience on so many levels.  Giger's designs were critical to that end. 

What a legacy to leave behind. 

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 26, 2016, 07:04:56 AM
Yes.  Yes, you can see the skull.  As many of these items are derived from the original Kenner ALIEN action figure, they almost all have the skull.

That's atrocious.

windebieste

windebieste

Right now I am on schedule to release the first version of the Preview Edition of my new book, HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream. The book is a multifaceted and complete investigation of the notorious Kenner Productions ALIEN action figure released in 1979.  For now, to help stir up some curiosity and generate more interest in the book, here's a single page of how the content is shaping up.

When released, the Preview Edition will be a 30 page excerpt from the 200+ page book and the excerpt's content will comprehensively document the early years of the notorious 18 inch tall Kenner Products ALIEN action figure.

This single page is a very early work in progress sample from the non-fiction volume (the complete book isn't scheduled for release until late 2017).  The release of the excerpt is intended among other things to be a promotional exercise for the full book.  It is also to be considered an early and evolving manuscript subject to substantial changes depending on feedback I receive from the public during the months of early 2017.

The 30 page Preview Edition will be available for download on the 30th of December 2016 from Hideous Plastic  (Don't forget to bookmark it.) as a FREE .pdf to anyone who wants to read it.

Don't forget to find out more about HIDEOUS PLASTIC: In stores everyone can hear you scream by checking out these online resources:

You can read more about the book here.

You can read the FAQ here.

You can watch the Reveal video here:

-Windebieste

windebieste

windebieste

HIDEOUS PLASTIC - Preview Edition is now available.

I am pleased to announce after 18 months of research and effort, a sample of the book is now available for your perusal.  You can download this early work in progress version for FREE!

Keep in mind this is an early draft of a single chapter from the manuscript and it is continuing to evolve.  It represents approximately 15% of the book's current content. As the book still requires a lot of attention, it won't be available until late 2017.  Think of this release sample as a FREE 'early access demo'; and like such demos it is lacking in polish and presentation but most of its components are in place.

A lot of work still needs to be done on my part but any feedback is welcome.

Feedback can be sent to me: windebieste@hideousplastic.com.

-Windebieste.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Are you going to include any screenshots from the Kenner ALIEN TV commercial or reproduce original print ads for the figure?

windebieste

windebieste

I would require permission to use those.  I can probably use them under 'fair use' provision - but that's applicable only under American copyright law.  We don't have that provision in Australia - and that's where it gets complicated, being Australian myself and writing the book here.

I have used Kenner's 4 page promotional brochure, sure, but I am keeping such material down to a minimum right now.  My Intellectual Property Consultant has written to Twentieth Century Fox at least 4 times and provided them with the latest manuscript.  Each time they declined to respond with so much as an acknowledgement.  Despite Twentieth Century Fox' cold shouldered lack of correspondence, there's still some possibility they may permit me to use such material (including captures from the television ad.) but it's a more likely outcome they will not.  In which case, if they choose to ignore my correspondence, I will remove the 4 page brochure and modify other small content items as well.  At least that content is currently insubstantial.

At this point, that means about 6-10 pages will have to be removed/modified if I fail to acquire their permission.  If I include more copyright sensitive material in the book at this stage - that means a greater percentage will have to be removed if permission is not granted.  As it is, the book is 200+ pages and removing up to 10 pages now will reduce it by, say, 5%.  It's no great loss. Adding more copyright sensitive content just raises that percentage.

In other words, I have not included such items to protect myself and keep potential changes to the book at a minimum.  The 4 page brochure item can be removed and accompanying text modified without the book suffering for the loss.  A change of 5% is next to nothing.  In which case Twentieth Century Fox can sit back and watch for all I care - or they can get involved and show some interest.  Either way I am covered. 

In which case, I have prepared contingencies for both outcomes with the assistance of my legal advisor, a Trademark Attorney with 30 years of corporate level experience in such matters.  If I do manage to gain their permission (which at this stage would require a miracle) then it is hoped I could have access to other content as well.   Maybe that's a little too much to hope for - but you can never tell with these things.  You just try and influence the outcome in a positive way. 

...and work around that which you can't.

One thing for sure - and this is important - Twentieth Century Fox know about the book and they aren't ignoring it.  They never ignore unauthorised Projects - and they act swiftly when they deem someone is breaching the Law. 

They're just sitting back,  watching to see what my next move will be.  We'll see what happens next. 

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

A little snippet of information regarding what the content of volumes 2 and 3 will contain can be found here.

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Just knocked out this review regarding NECA's 2014 Dallas in compression suit action figure. 

Is it any good?  How about you read it and find out.   ;)

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Today I printed out the first hard copy version of the book to aid as a visualisation tool to present to printers, editors etc. to acquire quotes for the print run.  Don't worry about the images being B&W.  The book will be full colour interior.  It's just easier and cheaper for me to present the book to these relevant services this way.

You can read more about it here.

-Windebieste.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Even if you are not a collectible enthusiast, this is still a good read. In my marketing course, I used this figure as an example of target demographic failure. Where if a company tries to market to children it must aggregate the parents as well. I will most definitely use Hideous Plastic as a citation.

windebieste

windebieste

One of the interesting challenges writing this book was to keep it legal.  That meant not breaching copyright - or at the very least work within the provisions where such laws permit copyright material to be used.  Fortunately, copyright laws aren't put in place to solely protect ownership of a given work; those laws also allow a new work that has never existed before to be permitted to use copyright material.

In the particular instance of this chapter (released freely to anyone who wants to read a sample of the book), almost all content present is either written or photographed by myself.  Which makes me the owner - and copyright holder of that content.  The remaining copyright material; that is, copyright images Kenner used to promote the toy to retailers, are being used in the context of historical details and are used to embrace a critical or educational purpose.  This usage is permitted under copyright law.

As such, an educational approach was the angle that I specifically aimed for when I wrote this Chapter to maintain compliance with the law.  It sure makes for a much more interesting story than any fiction would, that's for sure. 

In this regard, I hope you found it informative and useful.  That is its intention.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteAt this stage, 20th Century Fox have been approached regarding the book.  This occurred in early 2016 but they have not responded.

Winde, who from Fox did you contact?

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Good luck with the project.  As a toy designer, this is up my alley.  Was fox cool with the name of the book though?

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

What a wonderful place full of surprise !
It's quite a small gold mine for the action figures.
I never got the chance to own one of the big old Kenner but they look spectacular !

Much luck in your project Wind, let me know if you need help ;)

Cya

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed