LV-223 and LV-426 Orbit the same planet!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Dec 07, 2016, 05:03:54 PM

Author
LV-223 and LV-426 Orbit the same planet!! (Read 36,413 times)

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Jan 11, 2017, 04:49:57 PM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Jan 11, 2017, 01:51:01 AM
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I thought I'd heard that they orbit the same planet somewhere else before.

I remember when Prometheus came out they Interviewed Cameron and he acknowledged that they did orbit same planet!!

Well, there you go then, that must've been where I heard it too.

OpenMaw

Hell I must be losing my mind, because I swear the  hologram showed LV-426 and LV-233 actually marked and labeled as such.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Jan 11, 2017, 06:32:36 PM
Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I thought I'd heard that they orbit the same planet somewhere else before.

I remember when Prometheus came out they Interviewed Cameron and he acknowledged that they did orbit same planet!!

I'm not sure Cameron is a good source of intel for that.  :P

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 12, 2017, 10:09:47 AM

Yeah. i know. :laugh:

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 12, 2017, 10:09:47 AM

Fair enough lol.

fiveways

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! 

I am only digging this up because this is the first i have heard of them being beside each other.  Last I heard was the bit Ridley said on the commentary about them being very far apart.  I actually don't own the Prometheus blu-ray as I only recently got a blu-ray player.

My question is, if David knew about the transmission would he have not tried to direct Shaw to it for answers?  It's a shorter trip and would make sense for her to want to investigate that.  Given David's curiosity you'd figure if they were next door he'd want to visit as well...

SM

David may have not been in a position to do what he wanted.

Ultimately it's something that isn't likely to be addressed.

Corporal Hicks

Isn't there an easter egg somewhere that references picking up the signal from the Derelict?

fiveways

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 31, 2017, 10:03:55 AM
Isn't there an easter egg somewhere that references picking up the signal from the Derelict?

Yeah in the bonus features.  They pick it up on the way to LV-223 according to a letter/email in the bonus features (I think that is what i read, again I don't own the blu-ray (gonna buy it today)).  So he has knowledge of it.  Doesn't seem like something he would have overlooked and it seems like something he could easily trick Shaw into following.

I find it interesting that after Ridley denied they were moons orbiting the same planet during the lead up to Prometheus that the Blu-Ray just goes "f**k it, it's the same place".

SM

Did he deny that?

Xenomrph

Yeah I don't recall hearing one way or the other from Ridley. Heck, I thought it was something the bluray came up with after the fact, and wasn't actually something intended during the making of the movie.

bb-15

Some people believe that LV-223 and LV-426 are right next to each other orbiting the same planet.
However, from what I understand from the Blu-ray comments (from Lindelof and Spaihts), LV-223 and LV-426 are not next to each other.
Still in a video interview Ridley briefly says that LV-223 is in the Zeta Reticuli 2 star system.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2RQWumpQ4&t=0m50s

That seems to be the basis of the explanation that LV-223 and LV-426 orbit the same planet which the wiki sites have decided on.
(Because LV-426 is also located in Zeta Reticuli 2.)

Ridley has also commented about the relationship between the derelict and LV-223 in an interview.
QuoteBut how did that ship evolve into the first Alien?" Then I would say "Actually he's one of the group that had gone off and his cargo had gotten out of control," because he was heading somewhere else and it got out of control and actually he had died in the process and that would be the story there. That ship happened to be a brother to the ship that you see that comes out of the ground at the end (of "Prometheus").
http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-2-sequel-interview/

To make this work, the derelict crash and the disaster at the base on LV-223 should have happened about the same time, about 2000 years ago.
This would explain why the Engineers on both moons did not help each other.

* My view (from the Blu-Ray) is that Spaihts did not believe that the two moons were next to each other.
But as I mentioned, Ridley did that in his interview.

- So, we are left with the question; why is the Space Jockey warning signal is not picked up by the Prometheus ship?
Ridley hasn't answered that and him putting the moons next to each other makes an answer very difficult.
- And again, Spaihts / Lindelof on the Blu-Ray had the moons being located far apart so no guidance can come from them. 
- I think that Spaihts had the proper view and if Spaihts had prevailed with Ridley, then there would be no controversy over the warning signal.

BB ;-)

ReluctantNerd

Well obviously they just had to change the number of the LV in Prometheus when they started messing with the original idea that had Prometheus taking place on LV-426, but it seems that the visual effects were already finished or they just didn't bother redoing them to make it look different so the gas giant and the other planets looked almost exactly like those in Alien. Ridley is all business as usual and doesn't really seem to care about (in)consistency so he just says whatever is on his mind. (I'm starting to like that attitude and am curious what he does with Covenant)
But now that they apparently don't orbit the same planet as far as the official story goes, quite a few other things need explaining, which I won't list as the Prometheus conundrum is taxing on the brain at this hour and there probably is no likely (in-story) explanation.

bb-15

Quote from: ReluctantNerd on Feb 09, 2017, 07:29:44 PM
Well obviously they just had to change the number of the LV in Prometheus when they started messing with the original idea that had Prometheus taking place on LV-426, but it seems that the visual effects were already finished or they just didn't bother redoing them to make it look different so the gas giant and the other planets looked almost exactly like those in Alien. Ridley is all business as usual and doesn't really seem to care about (in)consistency so he just says whatever is on his mind. (I'm starting to like that attitude and am curious what he does with Covenant)
But now that they apparently don't orbit the same planet as far as the official story goes, quite a few other things need explaining, which I won't list as the Prometheus conundrum is taxing on the brain at this hour and there probably is no likely (in-story) explanation.
Here is my part 2 of what I wrote;

The distance issue between LV-426 and LV-223 has similarities in my mind to what Ridley did with "Blade Runner" where he claimed that Deckard was a replicant.
At the same time the writers of BR, the producers and Ford who played Deckard disagreed and believed that Deckard was a naturally born human. 
- It has been accepted since then that viewers can still have the interpretation that Deckard was not a replicant.

* I think the same is true with the distance between LV-426 and LV-223.
Imo it is better that they were far apart and not in the same solar system.
* My support for this includes;
- The featurette (or "Enhancement Pods") in the extras disk for the "Prometheus" Blu-Ray set called "Battle of the Planets: LV-223 vs. LV-426" explains that Ridley didn't decide that "Prometheus" was going to take place off of LV-426 until late in the production (because the moon had to look very different compared with "Alien").
- So, late in the process Ridley decided that they needed a new location compared with "Alien".
* This is very different compared with Ridley coming up with his explanation that Deckard was a replicant. With "Blade Runner" in the writing process Ridley came up with the Deckard = a replicant idea. He thought it through.
- With the location of LV-223, imo Ridley just tossed out in an interview before the "Prometheus" premiere that LV-223 was in the same solar system as LV-426.
- While the Wiki sites have to accept this since Ridley gave his authoritive stamp to that idea, I don't have to believe this.
As with "Blade Runner", a writer and Ridley disagree regarding the LV-223 location.

* Now the writer is the maligned Damon Lindelof. And Lindelof is not a science guy. And Damon is terrible at understanding astronomical units.
- But Lindelof does believe that LV-223 and LV-426 are far away from each other, and I agree with him.
From the Blu-Ray writer's commentary;
QuoteYou might notice that this is LV-223 that they are about to land on. Not the famous LV-426 that takes place in "Alien". So if there is any confusion, whatsoever about whether or not the events that are happening in this movie directly correlate to the derelict ship that is found in "Alien" and why those things don't exactly match up, there is a clue for you in LV-223. How far away is that from LV-426? about 185 LVs...
For those who do not have the Blu-ray disc with the commentaries, here is a website which summarizes some of the information in the writer's commentary, including the quote I posted above.
https://filmschoolrejects.com/40-things-we-learned-from-the-prometheus-commentary-3cc736ca2e5c#.okiq1av57

As I mentioned, LIndelof is obviously not a science guy and LV means nothing in terms of distance units except to say this; Damon's view was that LV-223 was not next to LV-426.
Substituting LVs for proper units of distance, AUs (astronomical units/the distance from the sun to the earth) or LYs (light years), puts LV-223 far away from LV-426.
- And that is my conclusion about the location of LV-223. It is not in the same solar system as LV-426. It could still be in the Zeta Reticuli system, just orbiting the first star and not Zeta Reticuli 2.

BB ;-)

SM

Fox says it's orbiting the same planet.

I pointed out the distance discrepancy mentioned at the start of Prometheus when WYR was being worked on, but that particular aspect had already been nailed down on the Blu-ray.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed