LV-223 and LV-426 Orbit the same planet!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Dec 07, 2016, 05:03:54 PM

Author
LV-223 and LV-426 Orbit the same planet!! (Read 36,400 times)

SiL

It was MSN, which as we all know is now long-defunct.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2017, 07:10:06 AM
Shit, you're right. Do you use anything in its place?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 01, 2017, 03:31:45 AM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2017, 02:24:58 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2017, 02:32:41 PM
Oh the battles you two must have had before I joined this forum...

We don't battle.

We really don't.

On that note, are you ever on Steam chat anymore? Or was it MSN Messenger that we used to use? It's been forever.

I meant "spirited debate."  :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 01, 2017, 08:26:20 AM

Facebook these days.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 02, 2017, 11:20:23 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 01, 2017, 08:26:20 AM

Facebook these days.
I know I'm friends with you on Facebook, but I've got no idea who SiL is on facebook. :P

Corporal Hicks

I'm sorry, I've completely forgot your real name!  :-[ Remind me and I'll recommend him as friend to you.

Wethepeople

Hi folks...new here.

My view for what it's worth is similar to others at the begining of this thread.

The Peter Weyland file "Quite Eye: Elizabeth Shaw" states -

"As fate would have it, Shaw and Holloway's interest in Zeta 2 Reticuli has proven to be mutually beneficial. While the good doctors rely on ancient carvings and primitive cave paintings, my science division's own long range scan have recently detected a faint, almost imperceptible signal emanating from one of the lesser moons in that system. And contrary to the findings of Shaw and Holloway, which target LV-223 as our primary site of interest, our findings suggest the point of origin could actually be the moon LV-426.

Per standard procedure, we will embed a David 8 unit with the crew. And he will be programmed with multiple contingency plans to address and exploit whatever assets we secure on 233. But only David will know about 426 and will ensure that the rest of the crew - including Meredith - learn nothing about the transmission we've recently discovered until the time is right. "

This was dictated on Mars prior to the commencement of the journey to 223.

It doesn't state in orbit around the same planet, only the same solar system - the distances though would still be inconsequential for light speed craft.

It's also likely that David hid the signal from the other crew members during their cryosleep as they approached 223, and also after they entered orbit when awake.

...just my tuppenceworth...

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2017, 11:35:44 AM
I'm sorry, I've completely forgot your real name!  :-[ Remind me and I'll recommend him as friend to you.
Damon Dellamarggio (although the facebook link under my username  to the left of this post works too :P )

bb-15

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 01, 2017, 03:31:45 AM
I more of see it as bb-15 making an argument from the perspective of the movies that having the two planets be neighbors doesn't make sense in the context of the evidence the movies provide us, and I think he makes a pretty good case for it. I don't personally agree with his conclusion, but it's not like he's just saying "I think this is true" without backing it up with some sort of reasoning.

It's like numerous other "head-canon" theories that you can support from the movies, like the idea that Space Jockeys and Engineers aren't the same thing.

My initial argument had some examples which were not that effective.  :-[
Then I made my argument stronger.
I settled on "evidence the movies provide us". This is probably the most solid basis of the argument (when the evidence from the extended universe can be questioned).

Bringing up the "Space Jockeys and Engineers aren't the same thing" topic is intriguing. I had discussions on that subject on the now defunct IMDb message boards where my position was that the Space Jockeys were the same as the Engineers.
First, there was the size difference issue which can be countered in terms of the size of the suit but still that can bother people.
Second, in terms of whether the suit in "Alien" was a fossil, how reliable of a scientific source is Dallas in "Alien"?
- One argument about "Alien" is that the crew was made up of unsophisticated space truckers. And now Dallas can view something and determine if it is a fossil?
Anyway; the discussion was never resolved because again, there is an expectation by some that Space Jockeys are much taller than 8 feet (2.5 meters) Engineers and that the suit in "Alien" is actually the ribs of a fossilized alien.

Imo at least. ;)

Xenomrph

We've had a thread or two about the idea, a lot of it boils down to the proportions of the Engineer in the space suit vs the Space Jockey (length of the arms, placement of the shoulders, etc), the size difference of the two, the general aesthetics being different, and thematic points (Shaw speculates on the Engineers' "creators", having them be different things falls in line with the "creations surpassing their creators" theme) and filmmaker intent (if Ridley Scott wanted the Engineers and their ships and aesthetics to look identical to the Space Jockey and the Derelict, he absolutely could have - and yet he didn't, and this was likely on purpose).

Oh and the fact that you can straight up see the Space Jockey's tongue and teeth. :P

bb-15

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 06, 2017, 02:15:30 AM
We've had a thread or two about the idea, a lot of it boils down to the proportions of the Engineer in the space suit vs the Space Jockey (length of the arms, placement of the shoulders, etc), the size difference of the two, the general aesthetics being different, and thematic points (Shaw speculates on the Engineers' "creators", having them be different things falls in line with the "creations surpassing their creators" theme) and filmmaker intent (if Ridley Scott wanted the Engineers and their ships and aesthetics to look identical to the Space Jockey and the Derelict, he absolutely could have - and yet he didn't, and this was likely on purpose).

Good stuff.

Oh and the fact that you can straight up see the Space Jockey's tongue and teeth. :P

Alien dentistry.  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 04, 2017, 02:17:45 PM
Damon Dellamarggio (although the facebook link under my username  to the left of this post works too :P )

Recommended. And doh!  :laugh:

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 06, 2017, 12:23:23 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 04, 2017, 02:17:45 PM

Recommended. And doh!  :laugh:
Awesome, I just sent SiL a friend request. :)

GrimmVision

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed