Advice on where to start with the comics/books for Alien and Predator worlds?

Started by Hensmon, Dec 04, 2016, 07:40:12 PM

Author
Advice on where to start with the comics/books for Alien and Predator worlds? (Read 4,379 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Dec 04, 2016, 09:30:38 PM
Most of the old EU couldn't have happened however.

What about fuzzy continuity and quantum physics?

SM

It got deleted.  Bigly.

Xenomrph

I'd say a lot of it could still be re-canonized Star Wars style without much of an issue.

Lonely Universe

Hensmon

Thanks for all the useful info guys, especially about what is considered canon. What does EU means though? Expanded Universe?

So for the time being there is no chronological ordering out there to view, but actually is there even one I need to follow?  ie. Stories wont be spoiled if read incorrect order, making the comics more stand alone rather than linear in the story it is telling.

So someone above mentioned that Predator: South China Sea as a favourite... do you guys have any other favourites? Or are there any considered 'the best'? My friend has Alien vs Predator vs Terminator which I only flicked through, so I wonder if this is worth a read.

Russ840

Quote from: Hensmon on Dec 07, 2016, 02:40:26 PM
Thanks for all the useful info guys, especially about what is considered canon. What does EU means though? Expanded Universe?

So for the time being there is no chronological ordering out there to view, but actually is there even one I need to follow?  ie. Stories wont be spoiled if read incorrect order, making the comics more stand alone rather than linear in the story it is telling.

So someone above mentioned that Predator: South China Sea as a favourite... do you guys have any other favourites? Or are there any considered 'the best'? My friend has Alien vs Predator vs Terminator which I only flicked through, so I wonder if this is worth a read.

Mate that is quite possibly the worst aliens story ever.

This is a list of my personal Favs

Aliens verses Predator. This is the first one. I love it.

Aliens Labyrinth. Amazing story

Aliens Book 2. Before it was ruined and Hicks is still hicks and not Wilks and so forth

Aliens Apocalypse

Aliens Defience. Still running but I think it is amazing.

Corporal Hicks

That's the one!

QuoteSo for the time being there is no chronological ordering out there to view, but actually is there even one I need to follow?  ie. Stories wont be spoiled if read incorrect order, making the comics more stand alone rather than linear in the story it is telling.

There's not really standalone stories in the current comic EU. Fire and Stone and Life and Death are all one big storyline. Aliens: Defiance is an on-going series.

In terms of the older comics, just read the first 4 series and then you can pretty much jump around. That's Book 1/Outbreak, Book 2/Nightmare Asylum,  Earth War/Female War and then Genocide.

QuoteSo someone above mentioned that Predator: South China Sea as a favourite... do you guys have any other favourites? Or are there any considered 'the best'? My friend has Alien vs Predator vs Terminator which I only flicked through, so I wonder if this is worth a read.

South China Sea is probably the best of the Alien or Predator novels. I'm really fond of Aliens: Berserker and Music of the Spears too.

Comics would have to be Nightmare Asylum, Labyrinth, Destroying Angels, Hell and Hot Water, Nemesis.

Xenomrph

Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator is pretty bad, I'd recommend steering clear.
Having said that, if you're looking for inter-company crossovers that *are* worth your time, either of the Judge Dredd ones are good (and I think they were recently reprinted?), any of the "Batman vs [whoever]" ones are pretty good (the first Batman vs Predator is the best), Superman vs Aliens is pretty neat, and so is Green Lantern vs Aliens. The others are pretty bad.

To second some of the comic book recommendations already posted, Aliens: Labyrinth is awesome, so is Aliens: Destroying Angels, and I'm partial towards Predator: Captive and Predator: Hell Come A Walkin.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed