Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 08:52:31 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel (Read 104,016 times)

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 11, 2017, 09:23:48 PM
Very excited about this novel indeed.  More so than the adaptation.

I wonder if it will be considered canon..
I would certainly hope so, if not why would they even bother releasing it.

Corporal Hicks

Looks like the sequel novel has gone from Amazon and been replaced with the prequel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Covenant-Official-Prequel-Blockbuster/dp/1785654764/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486052382&sr=8-4&keywords=alien+covenant

I don't think we'll be seeing a sequel novel.

426Buddy

I had a feeling it would only be a prequel.

Corporal Hicks

So did I. I'm not massively surprised. I thought a sequel novel was odd in the first place. A prequel makes more sense judging from the huge time gap between Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Jan 20, 2017, 05:10:39 PM

they've been re-releasing the Bantam novels (and apparently will be re-printing the DH Press novels in the future) and they're supposed to be "non canon" sooooooooo :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 03, 2017, 03:07:29 AM
Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Jan 20, 2017, 05:10:39 PM

they've been re-releasing the Bantam novels (and apparently will be re-printing the DH Press novels in the future) and they're supposed to be "non canon" sooooooooo :P

The prequel novel would likely be considered canon, yeah.

Xenomrph

Just making the point that FOX doesn't necessarily release (or re-release) things because "they're canon", rather they release things because people will buy them.

Corporal Hicks

Fair point. And completely true. However, my understanding is that all the new media being released from now is apparently considered canon and being done with the intent of working cohesively with the rest of the canon. 

Xenomrph

Well yeah, I don't dispute that.

I do wish they'd "re-canonize" some of the old stuff, like Star Wars has been doing with its old EU.

echobbase79

echobbase79

It appears the prequel novel will be released sometime in the fall instead of when Covenant will be released. Something else to look forward before the release of the film on bluray/dvd. Or maybe it will tie in with the home video release?

September 26, 2017 is the official release date.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 03, 2017, 08:27:33 AM
Fair point. And completely true. However, my understanding is that all the new media being released from now is apparently considered canon and being done with the intent of working cohesively with the rest of the canon.

I hope you are right.  IMHO, I'd enjoy consistency from film to film (going forward), rather than writing themselves into a corner with too much EU stuff.  [Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it when fans love the movies and they fill in the void left by TPTB, who made money off the EU licenses, too.] That has happened with Star Trek, and may well be why Star Wars jettisoned their EU. From a writing standpoint, it is much harder to sail the seas of good stories if there's a hidden reef of EU on which to ground yourself horribly. 

Having said that, official books like The Alien Vault and the Weyland Yutani Report are great to see and sell well with this niche market.  A nice compromise between establishing the official party line vis-a-vis The Official Backstory and making money off a great franchise (when handled consistently).

I remember the good old days when there was a novelization released before just about every science fiction movie hit the theaters.  Confusing, if not entirely based on the script or finished film, but so awesome for context.

(I had a point to make here somewhere...)   ;D

BountyHunter

September 26th for the PREQUEL novel? What the hell? Why release a prequel story after the main story? You release it shortly before the movie comes out or at least at the same time as the movie. 

Four months after? That's called dropping the ball. I hope that date is wrong.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: BountyHunter on Mar 05, 2017, 11:52:16 PM
September 26th for the PREQUEL novel? What the hell? Why release a prequel story after the main story? You release it shortly before the movie comes out or at least at the same time as the movie. 

Four months after? That's called dropping the ball. I hope that date is wrong.

From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. Fox has a lot of merchandise coming out for Covenant this May. There's toys from NECA, the official art book, and the movie novelization, and no telling what else. I guess they don't want to flood the marketplace with so much stuff. Four months is a rather long time, but again I'm thinking they want to save it for the dvd/bluray release. 

Maybe if the movie turns to be very popular they'll bump the release date up.

SM

Film was supposed to be originally released in August.

I'm guessing the prequel may have come out prior to this, then the novelisation would follow the film.  The change in release date may have swapped the writing and release schedules around.

Xenomrph

'Terminator: Salvation' had prequel novels that came out well after the movie came out.

Let's not forget River of Pain, an 'Aliens' prequel novel released decades after the movie came out. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed