Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 08:52:31 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel (Read 104,061 times)

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, I do think there's place for non-Alien stories set within the Alien universe. Prometheus opened that up to us. I just don't think this particular one was that story.

SM

Lost count of the number of times fans asked for a story without the Alien.
Lost count of the number of times fans have said 'Not this one!  Where da Aliens?'

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2017, 07:15:48 PMLost count of the number of times fans asked for a story without the Alien.
Lost count of the number of times fans have said 'Not this one!  Where da Aliens?'

I really enjoyed some of the Alien-less stories from Bug Hunt.

I've not read Origins yet, but it seems to me the issue is less the lack of Aliens and more the lack of an interesting story.

SM

I found the story interesting enough.

I think people found it hard to get over the preconception that they hoped it'd be about David and Shaw.  It wasn't interesting enough to get past that.

Ultramorph

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2017, 07:24:29 PM

I think people found it hard to get over the preconception that they hoped it'd be about David and Shaw.  It wasn't interesting enough to get past that.

This. Once you expect a Shaw and David story, nothing else would be satisfying.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2017, 07:24:29 PM

It's unfair but that does factor into it. You think prequel to Alien: Covenant and that's what people expect and would want. There were plenty of things I found interesting in Origins but not as a whole package. The cult never felt like a legitimate threat primarily because they seemed so ineffectual and obviously we knew the ship would launch.

Honestly, I would have just liked more time with the crew because that's mainly what I got the most out of this.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 20, 2017, 07:20:46 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2017, 07:15:48 PMLost count of the number of times fans asked for a story without the Alien.

I really enjoyed some of the Alien-less stories from Bug Hunt.

Me too! The only one I truly disliked in that was the Hicks fanfiction. I thought some of the non-Alien ones were pretty damn cool. The early one with the crawler thing and Jim Moore's stick out for me.

SM

We got a whole lotta Rosey and Lope.  That aspect elevated the characters in the film for mine.  It wouldn't have hurt to throw in one of the other security guys too.  Ankor would've been a good choice to develop something with Rosenthal.

Corporal Hicks

And I loved those bits with Rosey and Lope. And Branson. It was great that ADF added some actual character into him so he was more than just a flaming body and some motivation for Daniels. I'd have loved to have spent even more time with the lesser known characters from the film. Especially, like you, Ankor, and Ledward.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2017, 11:13:49 PMWe got a whole lotta Rosey and Lope.

SM

I was hoping someone would.

Whiskeybrewer

Lol Nice. Just got it. You can tell when Im tired that I don't get the greats lol

FenGiddel

Yes, I always enjoy ADF's extras he writes into the novelizations. I like the prequel novel for its nice job of reorienting me away from alien-centric tales. I would enjoy more from ADF in the universe of Alien. I like his style.

FenGiddel

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2017, 11:13:49 PM
We got a whole lotta Rosey and Lope.  That aspect elevated the characters in the film for mine.  It wouldn't have hurt to throw in one of the other security guys too.  Ankor would've been a good choice to develop something with Rosenthal.
She is a whole lotta woman, after all...   ;D

Perfect-Organism

SM, I recently finished reading the Weyland Yutani Report.  Great work.  I really enjoyed the layout, and the artwork was stellar.

I think I discussed here with you about the discrepancy which Alien: Origins brought about in regards to the timeline, whereby the WYR indicated that Weyland took over Yutani, and Alien: Origins indicated that it was the other way around.  But I also noticed towards the end of WYR that there was a Keiko Yutani as a CEO of WY.  As you know, Alien: Origins speaks about Hideo Yutani.  One can presume that ADF was not privy to the information in WYR, but if you're willing and able, could you share with us how this went down?  Is it really just the result of miscommunication, or is Keiko a different character from Hideo?

SM

From memory Keiko Yutani is just a passing reference mentioned as one of a number of Company CEOs.  Since the WYR was 'produced' in 2381, I can only assume that Keiko was a descendent of Hideo and Jenny, and could've been CEO anytime between the mid-22nd century (assuming Jenny followed Hideo and was CEO for several decades) and when the Company folded.  Ditto Mitchell Kane.  Whoever that is.

Other discrepancies between WYR and Covenant and Origins are just part and parcel of tying in material to an evolving film franchise.  I found a number of anachronisms in the draft I read of Origins, which I raised with Fox, but I've not read the published book yet so don't know if they were addressed.

I vaguely recall tossing around ideas with Fox a long time about Weyland and Yutani joining and one involved Weyland being weakened by the mysterious loss of its founder, and Yutani seeing an opportunity to move in.  I don't have the faintest idea if that was relayed to ADF, or he just had the same idea.  I strongly suspect the latter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed