Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 08:52:31 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel (Read 103,809 times)

Huggs

Well, I'll still give it a shot. Not the most interesting characters or synopsis, But maybe he can make something thrilling out of it.

SM

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jun 09, 2017, 10:28:26 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 09, 2017, 09:51:05 PM
Oh wow totally forgot about the literature forum... hi guys. Short of it all, I take Awaking is saying "Engineers on Earth".

Maybe. I'll need an interesting twist like that to make me really care at this point. I'll still buy it, but I'm not enthusiastic anymore. Why call it Origins? Was it originally supposed to be about David and Shaw but Ridley Alien 5-ed it and said no?

'Origin' of things that happened before the Covenant leaves Earth.

awalsh74

This new synopsis is really underwelming. Inwas really hoping for more Shaw and David

Xenomrph

Quote from: awalsh74 on Jun 11, 2017, 06:55:10 AM
This new synopsis is really underwelming. Inwas really hoping for more Shaw and David
Ditto. This summary sounds about as exciting as the "origins" of how the Nostromo crew got assigned to the Nostromo.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 11, 2017, 07:32:42 AM
Ditto. This summary sounds about as exciting as the "origins" of how the Nostromo crew got assigned to the Nostromo.

That's an awesome idea!!  Be hilarious to read about Parker going for drinks with Brett and hearing Ridley say goodbye to Amanda!

Mr. Clemens

It could end with Ripley waving out the window:

"I'll be home for your eleventh birthdaaaaaaay!"

BonesawT101

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jun 11, 2017, 02:03:31 PM
It could end with Ripley waving out the window:

"I'll be home for your eleventh birthdaaaaaaay!"
;D :D :laugh:

Xenomrph

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 11, 2017, 12:13:39 PM

That's an awesome idea!!  Be hilarious to read about Parker going for drinks with Brett and hearing Ridley say goodbye to Amanda!
Since apparently this Covenant prequel novel can be fully realized, I wouldn't be surprised if a book like that got published. If you want "conflict" in the plot, you can explore how/why Ash was swapped onto the crew at the last minute, the formation of Special Order 937, etc.

A "prequel" novel I actually would like to see is one that explores the Ripley cloning project on the Auriga leading up to 'Alien Resurrection'. The genesis of the project, the 7 failed attempts (and whatever they took out of Ripley 7 that evidently wasn't good enough), I think there's a lot of room there for an interesting story and a good number of memorable characters (Wren, Gedimen, Perez).

Samhain13

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 11, 2017, 07:15:12 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 11, 2017, 12:13:39 PM

Since apparently this Covenant prequel novel can be fully realized, I wouldn't be surprised if a book like that got published. If you want "conflict" in the plot, you can explore how/why Ash was swapped onto the crew at the last minute, the formation of Special Order 937, etc.

A "prequel" novel I actually would like to see is one that explores the Ripley cloning project on the Auriga leading up to 'Alien Resurrection'. The genesis of the project, the 7 failed attempts (and whatever they took out of Ripley 7 that evidently wasn't good enough), I think there's a lot of room there for an interesting story and a good number of memorable characters (Wren, Gedimen, Perez).

Personally I think they should use their time and money on new material that could expand the franchise and that would involve the creatures more, most prequels don't tend to add much since we already know how it will end and sometimes end up retconing stuff, still a story involving the 10 years of David on that planet would have been much better, we know how it ends but we could have gotten much more info on the aliens and the engineers...

Kurai

While the synopsis may seem underwhelming to some, I really think fans of the Alien Universe in general should give it a chance. This is most likely a gateway product, safely attatched to the movie yet going in unexpected directions, and may lead to us getting more content outside the usual genre that could greatly expand the universe.
With Aliens: Bughunt we've seen that there are writers out there with a desire to use this universe as a canvas for stories. Personally I'd like to see more in that vein and for that to happen we need to show the suits and ties that there are fans who will buy into things that aren't quite as "Alien" as we may be used to. Also, A D Foster deserves some credit. I'm sure he'll make the best of the subject matter. :D

BonesawT101

I wonder if there will be any Aliens in this novel?

Xenomrph

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Jun 14, 2017, 11:05:40 PM
How could there be?

Quote from: Kurai on Jun 14, 2017, 09:55:52 PM
While the synopsis may seem underwhelming to some, I really think fans of the Alien Universe in general should give it a chance. This is most likely a gateway product, safely attatched to the movie yet going in unexpected directions, and may lead to us getting more content outside the usual genre that could greatly expand the universe.
With Aliens: Bughunt we've seen that there are writers out there with a desire to use this universe as a canvas for stories. Personally I'd like to see more in that vein and for that to happen we need to show the suits and ties that there are fans who will buy into things that aren't quite as "Alien" as we may be used to. Also, A D Foster deserves some credit. I'm sure he'll make the best of the subject matter. :D
Well yeah, at this stage we're literally judging a book by its cover. :P

It's like the initial reactions to 'Alien: Out of the Shadows' before it came out. That plot synopsis really didn't do the book any favors, even if the end product made the best of what the author was given.

Samhain13

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 18, 2017, 03:52:08 AM
Quote from: BonesawT101 on Jun 14, 2017, 11:05:40 PM
How could there be?

They could do the same as the recent comics, just pull some ship or planet with aliens in out of nowhere. Wouldn't be the first time they did that in EU, but in this case would probably be the goo creatures instead of aliens. Also the novel is a prequel to the other novel, not the movie, so the aliens weren't created by David in this continuity.

SM

It's a prequel to the film.

tleilaxu

Anybody else suspecting some Blade Runner elements to make an appearance?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed