Interview with David Watson, Alien War Performer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #41

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 25, 2016, 10:34:39 PM

Author
Interview with David Watson, Alien War Performer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #41 (Read 10,651 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 41st episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest episode sees Xenomorphine and I chat with David Watson, a Colonial Marines performer from the Alien War attraction that operated in London Trocadero during the early 90s.

The 41st episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy podcast features an interview with David Watson, a Colonial Marine performer from Alien War.

The 41st episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy podcast features an interview with David Watson, a Colonial Marine performer from Alien War.

David worked at Alien War for the first few months when the attraction opened in 1993. He discusses the audition process, traveling through the London Underground with a Pulse Rifle sticking out his bag, the early days of the Alien War, the opening night, slamming a door on an Alien’s hand and plenty more! We did suffer occasional connection issues, where the audio quality fluctuates but it’s not very frequent thankfully.

We had the fortune of meeting David through the Weyland-Yutani Bulletin so shout out to those guys and girls! As we discussed in the podcast, you can check out The Harry Harris Aliens Collection & Archive for more information on Alien War, including an interview with Harry from the Alien Trilogy Fan Club newsletter. We also mentioned David’s YouTube channel with several clips regarding Alien War.

You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. Were you one of the lucky ones who experienced Alien War? We’d love to hear some of your stories! Thanks for listening.

Corporal Hicks

Here's the picture that David is referring to in the podcast!

serbip1

Finally, waited for this one :D

XENOMORPHOSIS

Interesting is the lineage of the performers in the Alien suits, from Bolaji Badejo & stunt performer Eddie Powell in the original, Carl Toop in Aliens, Tom Woodruff, Jr. in Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, AVP: Alien vs. Predator and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. Wonder who's fulfilled the role of Alien performer for Alien Covenant? We'll have to wait and find out.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: serbip1 on Oct 25, 2016, 11:00:20 PM
Finally, waited for this one :D

It'll be worth the wait. :) Really enjoyed this one.

Glaive

Now THAT was ROYALLY fun!!

I enjoyed it more than most of your podcasts, just because he was SO animated; yet 'just a lucky lad'...

I still can't believe the 'elevator plant' was introduced in the egg-chamber, I thought she was with us in line since the start...just goes to show how clever the guys running it were...Crafty psychology. But it's been over 20 years...

At the time I thought they got some of their ideas from Frederick Pohl's 'Dream Park' or its sequel.

Overall one of the BEST hour-and-a-half's of my life...!!! (that includes waiting in line)...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Glaive on Oct 27, 2016, 01:40:32 PM
Now THAT was ROYALLY fun!!

I enjoyed it more than most of your podcasts, just because he was SO animated; yet 'just a lucky lad'...

Glad you enjoyed it, Glaive! We had a great time recording it and I'm really glad we had Xenomorphine along. David was such a great guest and just really eager to share those stories!

Slightly offended the rest of our episodes aren't quite as good for you though.  :P

QuoteOverall one of the BEST hour-and-a-half's of my life...!!! (that includes waiting in line)...

And once again, I'm immensely jealous you got to experience this. I wonder how many of the current active fanbase did get to go through Alien War. It's just something that never really seems to get brought up.

426Buddy

I have only listened to a lil bit as I fell asleep when I started listening the other night (not because I was bored but because it was night and I was laying down, I cannot stay awake 5 minutes in those conditions lol)

Anyway I like what I heard! I remember having fits as a kid because I wanted to go to Alien War so badly. But i'm in america so that would never work lol. I heard great things from everyone who went though.

Didnt they reopen Alien War for a short run sometime in the early 2000's or something?

Glaive

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 27, 2016, 03:07:40 PM
Slightly offended the rest of our episodes aren't quite as good for you though.  :P

I'm only joshing with you Aaron...just that all other pods are more subjective, THIS was much more personnel...I actually love'em all...

Plus Dave was a guy who JUST...WOULDN'T...STOP!!

One question I would have asked:... Did his character actually have a name, or was he just Grunt Nr.9?

Corporal Hicks

I was only jesting myself.  :P

He should hopefully be joined up here at some point soon. Hopefully he'll be able to answer that question himself.

Glaive

...and hopefully of dug up the floor plans for the exhibit! That's a blueprint I REALLY want to examine!!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 27, 2016, 03:41:47 PM
I have only listened to a lil bit as I fell asleep when I started listening the other night (not because I was bored but because it was night and I was laying down, I cannot stay awake 5 minutes in those conditions lol)

Ha. I'm the same. It's why I pretty much only listen to podcasts when I'm travelling.

QuoteAnyway I like what I heard! I remember having fits as a kid because I wanted to go to Alien War so badly. But i'm in america so that would never work lol. I heard great things from everyone who went though.

Am glad you enjoyed what you heard. Hope you'll revisit it while conscious.  :P

QuoteDidnt they reopen Alien War for a short run sometime in the early 2000's or something?

Yeah, end of 99, start of 00 in Scotland IIRC.

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 28, 2016, 12:12:19 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 27, 2016, 03:41:47 PM

Ha. I'm the same. It's why I pretty much only listen to podcasts when I'm travelling.

QuoteAnyway I like what I heard! I remember having fits as a kid because I wanted to go to Alien War so badly. But i'm in america so that would never work lol. I heard great things from everyone who went though.

Am glad you enjoyed what you heard. Hope you'll revisit it while conscious.  :P

QuoteDidnt they reopen Alien War for a short run sometime in the early 2000's or something?

Yeah, end of 99, start of 00 in Scotland IIRC.

Yeah i'll be finishing the podcast this weekend for sure!

Did you get to go the the Alien War when it was revived or were you too young?

Glaive

Glaive

...and to all that worked on this podcast...'Chapeau'!!!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Oct 28, 2016, 03:29:50 PM
Did you get to go the the Alien War when it was revived or were you too young?

No, I was still a baby back then. I tried to get my Dad to take me to an Aliens reunion convention (which I'm pretty sure was just a Collectormania Film and Comic Con with about 4 or 5 of the Aliens cast) but he wasn't having any of it. I'd have never have got him to take me to London for this if I'd tried.

I have been through the Alien Encounters experience once which was pretty f**king awesome!

Quote from: Glaive on Oct 29, 2016, 02:08:17 PM
...and to all that worked on this podcast...'Chapeau'!!!

Word play! And thank you, good sir.

That hat is f**king awesome!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed