Alien 3 – Paranoia in Pinewood - Blog by Ralph Brown

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 13, 2016, 07:18:26 PM

Author
Alien 3 – Paranoia in Pinewood - Blog by Ralph Brown (Read 47,706 times)

Bad Replicant

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 15, 2016, 09:43:34 PM
I think that's to do with Sigourney replacing Veronica in the role of Ripley. Have heard some personal issues were allegedly going on behind the scenes which contributed to that taking place, which would seem to line up with these other comments.

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 15, 2016, 09:55:22 PM
Weaver's digs in the article remind me of some things she said filming Alien. Ian Holm and Ridley mentioned that one day, as Ridley rolled into the studio in his Rolls Royce, Weaver quipped, "Nice car. Did your dad buy it for you?"  The comment really irked Scott, but Holm seemed to observe that she was yanking Scott's chain, having recognised him as being self-made and proud of it.

She bad.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Oct 15, 2016, 03:15:54 PM...a bunch of theater no-names?

They my not have been well-known in the States, but there are quite a few famous British faces in there. Guys like Pete Postlethwaite and Paul McGann have been in tons of things here.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 15, 2016, 07:37:11 PMDid you read the William Gibson scripts?

Gibson's first script is over-the-top Aliens fan-wank in the worst possible way. His second attempt, where he basically takes away all the guns and shooting, is infinitely superior.

Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2016, 01:59:27 AMYeah but I'm talking about sequence of events.  Brandywine may have asked Ward to pitch without a commitment from Weaver, then she committed after hearing what they were thinking of doing.  Maybe.

Fair enough. Admittedly I've no idea what came first, the script or the actress, just thinking out loud.

Xenomania

Interesting read, the bit about shaving his chest was funny. :D

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 16, 2016, 01:14:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Oct 14, 2016, 10:02:00 PM
It's likely Sigourney was just winding everybody up for the sake of character.

I was wondering if this was the case; because she refers to him by his character name. She may be trying to create a bit of tension so it comes off on screen later. But I dunno.
No wonder there's so many F-words in the film! ;)

FiorinaFury161

Talking about Alien 3 and George Michael is getting me hot. ;)

His multiple deaths were interesting to read about, poor 85.

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2016, 01:59:27 AM
QuoteWard's script is all about Ripley, they must have known she was on-board at that point.

They'd already been through several scripts that didn't have her because she wasn't interested.

Yeah but I'm talking about sequence of events.  Brandywine may have asked Ward to pitch without a commitment from Weaver, then she committed after hearing what they were thinking of doing.  Maybe.

Weaver first came onboard when Twohy was writing his script. He was asked to rewrite his screenplay with Ripley as the lead and met Sigourney to get her ideas. But a spanner was thrown into the works when the director Renny Harlin walked because he didn't want to do the 'prison ship' idea Twohy had. Brandywine found Vincent Ward, and when Ward came onboard he wanted to write the script, so Twohy was let go.

That's the story as I've been able to ascertain. I have an e-mail from Twohy where he talked about meeting Weaver to put the Ripley character into the prison ship scenario. I'll try and dig it out.

DoctorXeno

I liked this guy's character. At least he ended up with a decently heroic death.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 16, 2016, 04:10:05 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 15, 2016, 07:37:11 PMDid you read the William Gibson scripts?

Gibson's first script is over-the-top Aliens fan-wank in the worst possible way. His second attempt, where he basically takes away all the guns and shooting, is infinitely superior.

Oh, I agree.  I just think the opinion that an Alien movie can't be suspenseful if the characters have guns is silly.  Hell, Aliens is one of the most suspenseful movies I've ever seen.  Like Roger Ebert said in his review of it:

QuoteI don't know how else to describe this: The movie made me feel bad. It filled me with feelings of unease and disquiet and anxiety. I walked outside and I didn't want to talk to anyone. I was drained. I'm not sure "Aliens" is what we mean by entertainment. Yet I have to be accurate about this movie: It is a superb example of filmmaking craft.

Alien 3, on the other hand, lacked any suspense at all.

SM

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 16, 2016, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2016, 01:59:27 AM
QuoteWard's script is all about Ripley, they must have known she was on-board at that point.

They'd already been through several scripts that didn't have her because she wasn't interested.

Yeah but I'm talking about sequence of events.  Brandywine may have asked Ward to pitch without a commitment from Weaver, then she committed after hearing what they were thinking of doing.  Maybe.

Weaver first came onboard when Twohy was writing his script. He was asked to rewrite his screenplay with Ripley as the lead and met Sigourney to get her ideas. But a spanner was thrown into the works when the director Renny Harlin walked because he didn't want to do the 'prison ship' idea Twohy had. Brandywine found Vincent Ward, and when Ward came onboard he wanted to write the script, so Twohy was let go.

That's the story as I've been able to ascertain. I have an e-mail from Twohy where he talked about meeting Weaver to put the Ripley character into the prison ship scenario. I'll try and dig it out.

Cheers.  I figured you'd know how it went down.  :)

Nostromo

Nostromo

I tried to watch Alien 3 again..until I remembered those nut cases running around and screaming for half the movie. With their part monk part prison rags and black teeth lol. Just couldn't do it, will try and watch the special extended version next week.

It mostly helps somewhat, actually, leastly. Lestly? Leastly? What Is that the opposite of mostly?

XENOMORPHOSIS

Eastern standard time it just turned to October 17th, today was meant to be the scheduled of Shane Black's The Predator to begin filming, but due to the delays in casting actors for the roles it will probably delay the production later pushing the film release to summer of 2018.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 16, 2016, 09:53:41 PM
I tried to watch Alien 3 again..until I remember those nut cases running screaming for half the movie.
Aside from the bait and chase sequence, there might be five minutes max of the
Quotenut cases running screaming.

SM

The extended has even more nutcases running screaming...

SiL

Sigourney Weaver sounds like someone with a really bad sense of humour.

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2016, 11:54:09 PM
The extended has even more nutcases running screaming...

SM

What's that mean?

Is there an extended version that has less nutcases screaming?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed